• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boat, new problems

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took delivery of my '17 212X yesterday and have already identified 2 issues. I'm certain the dealer didn't even put this boat in the water to prep it for me. What's worse, they rushed the sea trial and squeezed the on-water portion into 20 minutes of just joy riding on the lake. To their defense, the dealership was a madhouse with customers coming out of the woodwork, so they were scrambling to appease everyone. My lesson learned from this is to take boat deliveries at a time when dealer isn't busy.

Problems I need held to fix:
1) While cruising, the starboard throttle gradually wants to return to idle position. If set at 5,500 RPM, it will immediately begin to move back toward idle within 1 minute, if left unchecked. To keep the engines in sync, I must physically keep a finger on the SB throttle. Very annoying! 212X doesn't have throttle sync either.

2) I asked dealer during sea trial if the ballast system was checked and he said it was. They were rushing me, so I didn't check it myself. After we bought it, I went to the lake again with the wife and kids and tried it out. I opened the ski locker to see the progress and noticed the bag was still mostly folded - NEVER used before! Problem became immediately apparent when I saw a significant water leak coming from the hose fittting connected to the pump leading from the intake valve inside the locker. Thankfully, water was only spraying down into the locker as the pump ran to fill the ballast bag. Once the pump shut off, the leak stopped, I think. I noticed a large tan colored foam washer in the bottom of the locker when I got home. I disconnected the fitting and the washer seems to fit, so maybe that's the culprit? I expected to see a black rubber washer on the fitting when I took it apart, but there wasn't one.

Any help you guys can offer in these 2 areas would be great!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Doesn't surprise me the dealer told you they did some things when reality is they didn't. Yamaha better get a handle on their dealer network as this seems par for the course these days with some of them. Doesn't take long to destroy a positive image. Hell I can't even use mine as they are untrustworthy and have been yanking me around on a warranty claim for SIX MONTHS. They need to clean dealer house not to mention get a better QA department.

I think there are friction adjustment screws in the throttle base you can adjust. Here's a recent thread where one guy has opposite issue as you since his were too tight https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-stiff-are-the-throttles-on-these-boats.8048/#post-139105

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The worst thing about all of this is, did you look at your invoice and see how much they charge for "dealer prep"? It is INSANE. I think I would raise holy hell with them and DEMAND some compensation for the time you have lost not only on the water but having to return the boat to have things done that YOU ALREADY PAID FOR! Sometimes I believe boat dealers are even WORSE than car dealers as far as giving a rats ass about the customer after they get the check! I agree with the comments above.....Yamaha needs to get a handle on their dealers.....BUT....have you ever dealt with Yamaha Customer Relations? The will give you lots of lip service.....then not do anything and not even call you back about your issue! I LOVE the boats, but dont have much use for the corporate attitude of both the dealers and the manufacturer!

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Regarding the dealer prep fees, my dealer doesn't charge anything. I paid the price Yamaha advertised, but got a boat cover thrown in with the deal. A dealer in Ohio that I talked to at one point said they charge a dealer prep fee of $2K! NFW am I paying that.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yep. ..you were lucky. ...but they still have a responsibility to have the boat completely serviced and costumer ready!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya dealer prep fee is a freaking joke. Damn if I buy I boat, I hope you prep it for me. Otherwise I want it what the dealer pays for it minus the freight off course. If they charge for prep fee, what do I need a dealer for? Can't stand dealerships or shops.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding the dealer prep fees, my dealer doesn't charge anything. I paid the price Yamaha advertised, but got a boat cover thrown in with the deal. A dealer in Ohio that I talked to at one point said they charge a dealer prep fee of $2K! NFW am I paying that.
What do you want fo nothing, hahahaha Sorry for the problems but remember your on a boat on the water if things go wrong, and they will you need to be prepared. Check everything, have spares, "One is None". Having a check list in the beginning is a good thing. Not trying to lecture, just trying to help. ;) :jimlad: [flag]

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Throughout the season (this will be the first season for my 242) I'll keep a "warranty punch list" note on my phone and at the end of the season I'll take it into the dealer for fixing. I did this on my 09, and I had 6-8 things I asked them to work on. Most were minor things that I lived with and all were covered under warranty. My thought is unless it's a major issue, I'll wait until the end of the season...That way if it takes them 2-3 weeks to fix it then I'm not out that boating time.

I too am going to be nervous about picking up my boat this week as there is no water test...The local lake is closed. So I'm sure it'll be interesting next week when I take it out to the first time.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To fix my throttle issue, I was able to find the torque screws at the base of the throttle. I popped off the oval plastic cover and tightened the 2 screws and my problem is gone - thankfully!

I messed with the hose connection in the ski locker to the ballast bag as well, but I haven't tried them out to see if my leak is gone yet or not.