• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boat problems

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I bought a new to me 2008 SX230 today with no knowledge of the history of the boat. I got it home and started looking it over and see this...block hole.JPG

The other motor started up and sounds great. Anyone ever seen this boat around in PA or MD?

https://www.copart.com/lot/39586307

I am going to try to put a Yamaha Diagnostic tool on it soon to see engine hours. What would cause a hole in the block like that? Low oil level? Just running it too hard?

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a rod came apart. Could be lots of things. Dropped valve caused it to bend rod, could been hydrolocked, definaltey rod came apart for some reason. I wonder why there is not oil everywhere. That big of whole in the block you should be able to scope it pretty easy and see what let loose.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find about a two inch section of what I assumed was a connecting rod when I looked at the boat a few weeks ago, but wasn't 100 percent sure it was a connecting rod until I looked and saw the hole in the block today.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought mine with a bad motor. I was a little nervous about it, but I figured it would be a good project. hard part was getting engine block or heads. Seemed to be by a rebuilt or get a donor engine from a jet ski. I bought the rebuilt and kept going. Not bad to install at all with two people.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just FYI is states primary damage water/flood. Maybe that plays into it. Might look for since of water in the blocks/oil. Does the underside of the oil cap have a milky look to it. On the dead motor pull the valve cover and see if any signs it was once under water.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are no signs of any water/flood damage, I am assuming the previous owner blew the motor up and made an insurance claim. This is my second boat I have bought from this site and the first had obvious water damage. I have a 2008 AR230 that was wrecked, so I have two motors that can be used.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must not have seen the wrecked 08 in earlier posts. Have not been paying attention lately since it has gotten a little colder weather. Swamping the engines out is a pretty good deal.