• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boat ???s

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I recently took delivery of a new 2016 243 VR. Although I knew better, I kind of rushed the delivery inspection at the dealer because a thunderstorm was about to hit and I had a 2-1/2 hour drive ahead of me. Once I got home, I was able to look over the boat some more and noticed a couple items that had me curious.

In the canvas Chaparral bag along with the manuals were a bunch of caps, plugs, small metal bars, etc. I assume these items were taken off on delivery from the factory, but does anyone know what exactly they are and if I need to hang onto them for any reason? I can't find any part #s and some are even in little plastic bags. Used for long term storage??

Does anyone have any sort of padding/carpeting in the underseat and centerline storage compartments? Mine have nothing but fiberglass.

The head compartment door is loose/rattling when closed. Does anyone have the same?

And for first service intervals, the dealer mentioned a 20 hr service, but the BRP engine manual mentions a 10 hr service? It does not look like much is done for the 10 hr.

Anyone have any comments or tips?

Rich Topel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We just took delivery of a 2017 2430 VRX and just went through the inspection. So hopefully I can answer your questions.
In the canvas bag I had the small metal bars that were pinned. These are for the wakeboard tower for when you lower the tower and want to tow the boat, they lock the tower in place.
I also had a sealed bag that had a template inside it. I have not opened it but I am guessing that this was the template they used for the medallion unit.
I also had a bag that was a wire harness ~ 2' (?) from BRP. the dealer told me that Chaparral used their own harness instead of the BRP one. This had a BRP part number on it.
As for the plugs, caps,etc I am guessing these are for the porta-pottie. Mine were inside the porta-pottie along with a bottle of chemical and the instruction manual. Also if you have not done this. Open and close your porta-pottie handle. When I did this the handle came off in my hand! The handle was not attached to the rod with a spacer , e-clip.

My boat does not have any sort of padding etc in these compartments. The ski locker has a mat in it. My old boat was similar with no padding and I put a waterproof mat in them to minimize scratches etc.

My head compartment is tight and I have not observed any rattling.

My dealer also mentioned the 20 hr service and agree if you read the BRP manual they recommend 10 hr. There are a few threads here on this topic and I think the feeling is to wait for the 20 hrs. I need to call my dealer this week and I'll ask again and post back to you.

Additionally if you have the medallion unit you probably will not have nav chart detail besides having a large overview and once you try to zoom in the screen goes white. This is because you do not have a nav data card installed or if you do have one it needs to be registered/updated. My boat did not have a card installed. There is also a thread on this here so I'll let you read that instead of rewriting!

Enjoy the boat!!!

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Rich, thanks for the help.

In the canvas bag I had the small metal bars that were pinned. These are for the wakeboard tower for when you lower the tower and want to tow the boat, they lock the tower in place.
I don't have a tower, so I am curious what my small metal bars would be for.

As for the plugs, caps,etc I am guessing these are for the porta-pottie. Mine were inside the porta-pottie along with a bottle of chemical and the instruction manual. Also if you have not done this. Open and close your porta-pottie handle. When I did this the handle came off in my hand! The handle was not attached to the rod with a spacer , e-clip.
I will check the porta-pottie. That makes sense.

My boat does not have any sort of padding etc in these compartments. The ski locker has a mat in it. My old boat was similar with no padding and I put a waterproof mat in them to minimize scratches etc.
Do you remember what you used? I would like to put something down. My Amazon searching continues...

Does yours have some sort of weather stripping or anything on the door? If I remember correctly, mine did not.

Rich Topel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Waternutt there is also a Chaparral Vortex boat site on FB that also has some good people on to bounce questions off also!
If you don't have a tower I don't know what they are. Ill include a picture of what I was mentioning from a FB poster and maybe these were included with your boat by mistake??

I think I used the matting that you line tool chests with from home depot. It seemed fairly water resistant and when I sold the boat the inside area looked good. Again besides life jackets, inflatables I never kept items that could cause potential scratches in those storage areas. Sorry not to much help here.

I will check the door and get back to you. My boat is about 2.75 hours away and I won't be up there until the weekend.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hopefully ya'll are telling them about Jetboaters.net! We are all inclusive!
I am. Just about every time I post on the FB site, I mention jetboaters.net

Bret

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We just took delivery of a 2017 2430 VRX and just went through the inspection. So hopefully I can answer your questions.
I also had a sealed bag that had a template inside it. I have not opened it but I am guessing that this was the template they used for the medallion unit.
I also had a bag that was a wire harness ~ 2' (?) from BRP. the dealer told me that Chaparral used their own harness instead of the BRP one. This had a BRP part number on it.

My dealer also mentioned the 20 hr service and agree if you read the BRP manual they recommend 10 hr. There are a few threads here on this topic and I think the feeling is to wait for the 20 hrs. I need to call my dealer this week and I'll ask again and post back to you.

Additionally if you have the medallion unit you probably will not have nav chart detail besides having a large overview and once you try to zoom in the screen goes white. This is because you do not have a nav data card installed or if you do have one it needs to be registered/updated. My boat did not have a card installed. There is also a thread on this here so I'll let you read that instead of rewriting!

Enjoy the boat!!!
Rich - the porta-pottie handle came off in my hand too! Just as you stated in your post -- somebody in the line wasn't doing their job! Also my transom shower isn't priming water - I hear pressure building as I let go off the shower handle &/or sink faucet - but nevertheless so far that's it. This upcoming weekend I should be able to get past the 7 hr break in period - test out the ballast system.

Jet16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thought I would chime in about the service intervals. I have owned 3 boats with the BRP supercharged motors and never did a 10 hour service. The dealers all told me it was not really necessary since all they really do is check connections and inspect things. 20 hour is when the first oil change should be done as it is past the break in period so that is pretty important, but I admit that I have usually waited to about 30 hours or so to do this service since that was usually a boating season for me and I had it done when I took the boat out of the slip for the season. Never had any issues, but certainly nothing wrong with getting the service done close to 20 hours, since this is the recommended time interval.

Rich Topel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Rich - the porta-pottie handle came off in my hand too! Just as you stated in your post -- somebody in the line wasn't doing their job! Also my transom shower isn't priming water - I hear pressure building as I let go off the shower handle &/or sink faucet - but nevertheless so far that's it. This upcoming weekend I should be able to get past the 7 hr break in period - test out the ballast system.
Bret Thanks I'll check that out this weekend. Our weather has not been great up here and I did not even fill the tank last week.

Rich Topel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Rich, thanks for the help.

I don't have a tower, so I am curious what my small metal bars would be for.

I will check the porta-pottie. That makes sense.

Do you remember what you used? I would like to put something down. My Amazon searching continues...

Does yours have some sort of weather stripping or anything on the door? If I remember correctly, mine did not.
I checked my boat this weekend. There is weatherstripping around the inside framework of the enclosure. There is nothing on the door itself.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the update. I was looking over my boat this weekend and I think my issue is it is not fully latching when closed. Therefore it is a little loose. Something for the dealer to fix hopefully.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So I figured out what some of the items are that I had in my canvas Chaparral bag. In the attached pic, the caps and gaskets are for the porta-potty that is plumbed as a pump out. The metal bars are like what Rich had, but I do not have a tower...so not quite sure why I have them. Maybe the dealer messed up.

Items in the pic I am still trying to figure out are the 4 black plastic clips in upper left, the black rubberish plug in upper center, the key like thing on the zip tie, and the white plastic collared sleeve in the plastic bag. The key like thing has a small cylinder with Torx like grooves on the inside. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

The 4 plastic clips are similar to those holding this silver pole attached to the inside of the starboard bow storage. Don't know what the pole is for??
0525170700_HDR.jpg 0527171157_HDR.jpg

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@waternutt I can help with the pole. That is a cross bar for the bow filler pad. It fits from bow port seat to sraboard seat. There are little groves it rests in under each seat. The center bow cushion rests on the bar.