• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boater: Getting Sugar Sand Tango Jet Boat Boat on Plane Inquiry

416Boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hi guys,

Brand new to boating, have a Sugar Sand Tango, been on it a few times at this point. A lot of trial and error during my effort to learn how to boat properly :p

I got the boat to go on plane today, however was unable to recreate it (happened accidentally - was cruising at 3800 RPM, increased throttle to around 5-6K and the hull popped out of the water).

Anybody here have advice on techniques to get it onto plane?

Much appreciated.

- 416boat

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
If you can rev to 6k but not come on plane you have pump issues, either worn or damaged impeller/wear ring or something stuck in the pump. That boat should leap out of the hole and on plane and run 50 plus no matter which engine you have.

416Boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
If you can rev to 6k but not come on plane you have pump issues, either worn or damaged impeller/wear ring or something stuck in the pump. That boat should leap out of the hole and on plane and run 50 plus no matter which engine you have.
Okay makes sense.

I wonder if it’s weeds that got sucked in, the lake i boat at is very dense with floating weeds.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Weeds are a jet boats kryptonite. Be careful you don't overheat, if it starts beeping shut it down and clear the grate. one thing you can try to clear weeds is to go as fast as your able in reverse then kill the engine while shifting into forward at the same time, the object is to force water though the pump backwards clearing the grate. Doesn't always work but worth the try.

416Boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Weeds are a jet boats kryptonite. Be careful you don't overheat, if it starts beeping shut it down and clear the grate. one thing you can try to clear weeds is to go as fast as your able in reverse then kill the engine while shifting into forward at the same time, the object is to force water though the pump backwards clearing the grate. Doesn't always work but worth the try.
I've tried the reverse kill engine trick, it seems to work (although I can't confirm 100%).

Also yesterday I found jamming the throttle into high RPM's quickly from a standstill helps jump the nose out of the water, getting the boat on plane with ease.

Thanks again Bilmon.