• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New cobra super steering for all Magnum and Ultimate versions past and present

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Finally picked up my newest parts today in Tamps after being stuck in the worst traffic jam of my life trying to cross the Howard Franklin bridge .
I guess two semi trucks crashed into each other and the North bound side was blocked from about 830 am to 12 noon I had the pleasure of being stuck in it for a couple hours.
Now I did put some pictures together comparing the original Mags and Ultimates compared to the new super version.
This new system was built to keep the high speed effect close to the same as the originals although I did add a small amount to the Ultimate bottom surface. Because it rocks to have all that control all the time.
The big addition was made to the top of the fins, this portion is always out of the water on plane, however off plane with the hull sitting lower in the water the top section of the fins will be submerged providing more slow speed assistance in both forward and reverse.
The new super fins can be swapped out with any of the previous steering systems that use the original fins on current customers systems or you can choose either the new super systems or the original systems. If you are a new customer, if you need to discuss any thing from upgrading trade in of other systems or what system will be best for your boating needs feel free to call or email me .

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
People are asking me what the cost would be for someone who already has a system but wishes to change their original fins to new Super Fins.
On the magnum type on ANY previous system for a limited time It will be 29 dollars per super magnum fin or any Ultimate system the fins alone will be 33 dollars per super fin, shipping for the order will be 7 dollars in the U S A.
Again these were specially designed to mainly increase the off power and slow speed influence of the existing systems that have proven themselves year after year. Note how all my systems stay close to the end of the nozzles usually within in 2 inches this is due to the fact that I make steering that works at both slow speed and high speed the further away from the nozzle the fins get the more leverage they have to apply side pressure to the nozzle.
Raising the fin above the existing surface keeps the increased amount of the fin surface out of the water on plane so that it only comes into play when the boat is in off plane mode to increase the fin influence around the dock in forward and reverse, coupled with the mega fang plus system this extra slow speed fin surface should make the docking and backing process even better.
One thing that motivated me to consider this is all the talk about Yamaha making bigger boats in the coming year.
So anyone interested in upgrading their existing fins can contact me directly via message, email etc. I waited until I had the parts on hand to offer them to you for your very important feedback at a very inexpensive price. People with the A K steering systems should be very interested in taking advantage of this offer.
Next is people who want to trade up to a full time system from a different style that they currently own, contact me directly for trade in info and 30 day trial info so you can change your mind if you are not happy after you try these on your boat. Although this is standard procedure with all my steering.

The M S R P for the Super Ultimate per engine is $240 the buy direct price will be $ 219. per engine once they get posted on my web page.
The M S R P for a single engine Super Magnum is going to be $222 with the buy direct price at $199.99 just for price comparison to the standard systems.
I will have more pricing available soon for the other variations like the A K and A K -19 parts.

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love my CJ setup and recommend them to anyone who asks. BUT, I swear for the life of me I cannot keep up with the different names for all the systems! I am truly not even sure what my own system is at this point! :confused:

But, still love them and they work great! :D

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Me too so I get it You have the magnum A K with the A K mega fang plus upgrade. And thank you for posting. There are basically 2 different type regular fins the Magnum fins like you have and the Ultimate fins. I just recently started making Ultimate A K systems for the articulating keel boats .
All twin engine A K systems also add a second tie rod to the boat to balance out the system. The A K Mega Fang systems mount to the bottom of the nozzle separate from the fins thus allowing the fins to be adjusted without interfering with the effect of the mega fangs on that system.
The Ultimates are larger and have more setting capabilities plus they are spring loaded and can be selected to stay in the water on plane or rise up ,your choice. Most people keep them down all the way. I basically use these two different style fins for a variety of different systems.

What basically happens is people ask for a variety of things and this triggers the dreams from the head alien who forces me to build new parts.
Then I must agree to build the parts so I can get back to sleep.
Now if Yamaha would stop making new style boats and new style nozzles and new reverse hoods I could get more rest. I do understand about all the variety of systems believe me I liked it better when I only did one size fits all but the consumers have needs and none are alike so I needed to meet those needs to avoid making a compromise size and shape like I did in the beginning. One size does not fit all.
This became very obvious back when the 24 foot boats came into play.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe naming them Type I. II, III etc would save from the confusion moving forward? Naming them reptiles, guns, ultimate, zebra mussel crusher, super duper’s, with or without bicuspids, fangs or molars, etc I can understand the confusion lol. adding Roman numerals or whatever to make it easily identifiable what the earliest to latest designs are. I don’t know.....Just some constructive criticism. I’ve always felt confused by your various offerings and which does what for which boat lol.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree I have been sitting here trying to put together a way to do that for several days but I hate doing things on a computer. It gives me a headache.
I may have them do several separate buttons on my web page to separate the various Yamaha boat and style differences.
I always offer to speak directly with the customer and I allow them to call me any time It's easier to explain the differences in a phone conversation than writing it out.
Videos do a good job to explain things as well.
I like to keep things under control.
I honestly don't need to sell anything ever again if I don't feel like it.
I just had a boat distributor email me yesterday asking about distributing my products and after some thought I decided I had no wish to become a slave I have a very nice part time job and a lot of happy customers over many years .
I am focusing more on licensing this and just remain a consultant . I understand that the average person won't grasp this but I promised myself in the beginning I would not become a slave to this.
And I am constantly reminding myself of that.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I think a simple table of products vs. boats/years and features that shows which products work on which and what they do would go a long way towards clearing up the confusion. Not exactly the same but the "which board is right for me" link here https://zup.com/collections/all is an example.

Or the similar approach Yamaha has for their boats.
https://yamahaboats.com/19-ft-boats/compare/

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks I am now on version 3 of the reorganizing of the darn web page, The person doing it is a programmer for a large company so we do not speak the same language he uses code for everything on this page where he had it where I could go in and add or delete things in past years. So I put down what I think it needs and then he hopefully puts it on the site but I looked at it a week ago and said no wonder people call me and don't understand what is best for their boat and I go through the questions of when where and how to come up with the best option for their needs.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I placed the order thank you! No rush with shipping, it will be (a) few weeks I'm afraid before I can put those on given the weather we are getting...

This should be just a blade swap, right? with no alignment/adjustments.
I've been a bit reluctant to pull the trigger this time as my system is extremely well tuned to the point I'm hesitant to change anything! lol.

I should shoot some vids showing my steering at work, although it is not possible to convey the feel of course. The boat just tracks strait even if I don't hold the wheel, I really like the handling. After looking into this new super steering/fin, I don't see a risk really with the swap.

Heck, I may even paint those to match the hull?! That would be something. Or powder coat.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Simply change the fins on your set it is just about 1 minute per fin to change the original ones out and replace with the newest ones. No other changes needed

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Quick install video for the single engine 2019 Ultimate or super ultimate AK-19

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally... pulled the boat out and swapped the fins!

Literally a 10 min job (most of it spent looking for my Threadlocker, lol). Love the look, and fit and finish. Because it is a simple blade swap it needs zero adjustments.

With all the flooding here it will be a few days before I can hit in the water to test, but given their substantially larger size/surface I expect just more of the same: "corners like it's on rails" feeling, I'm already used to!

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the super steering the change is to the top of the fin, so what you are accustom to from the original fins at speed will be the same since the only part of my systems that come into play at speed is about 1 inch below the nozzle, everything else is actually not in contact until the boat is off plane , then the entire fin is submerged and working for slow speed assistance in forward and catching a lot of water when in reverse so the big difference here is going to be the slow speed control both in forward and in reverse . If you look at the attached picture you can clearly see that the nozzles are actually out of the water on plane , even a third of the rudder is up out of the water, love this picture it speaks volumes about how the steering system works differently on plane as opposed to off plane.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Loving mine so far. When I get some time I will post a review. Paralleled parked the boat yesterday pretty easily and impressed my self.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 90836

Literally a 10 min job (most of it spent looking for my Threadlocker, lol). Love the look, and fit and finish. Because it is a simple blade swap it needs zero adjustments.
View attachment 90837

With all the flooding here it will be a few days before I can hit in the water to test, but given their substantially larger size/surface I expect just more of the same: "corners like it's on rails" feeling, I'm already used to!
View attachment 90838

--
Finally got to try them out.
FANTASTIC.
I did not have a lot of time today, so no video clips or pics, if I get to go out tomorrow I'll shoot and try to post some videos.
Basically, steering is still very, very stable but now became even more responsive.

The best part is steering without thrust. It's crazy, I literally had to pinch myself. Going full speed WOT at about 48-49mph in the very narrow channel of my little river and intiating a sharp turn AFTER pulling the throttles back into neutral makes the boat turn 180 in a span of 20-50ft... It's nuts.

This is almost like running with an outboard. Steering with no thrust is unbelievable.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you get some time on these new super magnums tomorrow I would love your feedback on the slow speed and reverse control also as compared to the regular magnum system.
The new system was designed to increase the control in those areas and give the boat better REAL reverse handling for things like wind and strong currents as well as off power handling like coming in a little too hot and not running over people in the water like this thread explained https://jetboaters.net/threads/im-lucky-to-be-alive.21744/ My new super Ultimates are even larger than the new super magnums you have and also compatible with the mega fangs for more useable reverse thrust and reverse power for backing or stopping the boats forward movement . And the nice thing is the adjustability and position in the water keeps them above the bottom of the rudder so they dare not hang way down to strike the ground or etc. I have more on order but am nearly sold out of the first batch on both the super magnums and the super ultimates. So thank you for freezing and getting out to try the new system. Oh I nearly forgot if you get some video please don't forget to try the nearly impossible S turn from W O T with no power " in neutral" I did them with the regular magnums and first edition fangs on a 24 foot Yamaha so doing that with a 24 foot articulating keel bot that has the huge rudder under it will speak volumes for the handling capabilities of this new system since the keel fights the turn.

Last edited:

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 90836

View attachment 90837

View attachment 90838

--
Nice, I gotta get me some of this.🤙🏽

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On the super steering the change is to the top of the fin, so what you are accustom to from the original fins at speed will be the same since the only part of my systems that come into play at speed is about 1 inch below the nozzle, everything else is actually not in contact until the boat is off plane , then the entire fin is submerged and working for slow speed assistance in forward and catching a lot of water when in reverse so the big difference here is going to be the slow speed control both in forward and in reverse . If you look at the attached picture you can clearly see that the nozzles are actually out of the water on plane , even a third of the rudder is up out of the water, love this picture it speaks volumes about how the steering system works differently on plane as opposed to off plane.
That's amazing! I had no idea the nozzles come out of the water. What are the jets pushing against? Or is it simply a matter of Newton's third law?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's amazing! I had no idea the nozzles come out of the water. What are the jets pushing against? Or is it simply a matter of Newton's third law?
Yes those pumps are just moving water, similar to airplane jet engines moving air. Except our pumps do not like air, the intakes take water and ideally only water flows thorough, any air bubbles (for example when passing over disturbed water) or air sucked into the intakes or pumps from outside leaks cause “cavitation” (“ventilation”) and loss of efficiency.
The fins do not influence this, other then there is less speed bleed in turns with Cobras (down at speed).

Importantly, however, jet boats steer with thrust (no thrust - no steering). Yamaha AK (“articulating keel”) does not help much. That’s where the Cobras, especially these new large ones shine!

You can actually turn the boat without thrust. Such as when slowing down (pulling throttles back). To me that's a hugely desirable safety feature.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you get some time on these new super magnums tomorrow I would love your feedback on the slow speed and reverse control also as compared to the regular magnum system.
The new system was designed to increase the control in those areas and give the boat better REAL reverse handling for things like wind and strong currents as well as off power handling like coming in a little too hot and not running over people in the water like this thread explained https://jetboaters.net/threads/im-lucky-to-be-alive.21744/ My new super Ultimates are even larger than the new super magnums you have and also compatible with the mega fangs for more useable reverse thrust and reverse power for backing or stopping the boats forward movement . And the nice thing is the adjustability and position in the water keeps them above the bottom of the rudder so they dare not hang way down to strike the ground or etc. I have more on order but am nearly sold out of the first batch on both the super magnums and the super ultimates. So thank you for freezing and getting out to try the new system. Oh I nearly forgot if you get some video please don't forget to try the nearly impossible S turn from W O T with no power " in neutral" I did them with the regular magnums and first edition fangs on a 24 foot Yamaha so doing that with a 24 foot articulating keel bot that has the huge rudder under it will speak volumes for the handling capabilities of this new system since the keel fights the turn.
I may or may not get to it today... But gotta say - this is a fine working system! I was a little hesitant about the upgrade actually as my previous setup was great, but this is a significant improvement. The no wake is so much better, it really felt like driving an outboard at times...
I’ll need to pay more attention to reverse, it is better with Fangs than the OEM/nothing but still limited with the factory RPM reverse limiter.

But, at least I can use the reverse at speed to slow down, unlike the E-boats. It’s crazy to disable reverse there, I think, if I had an E-series I would want the Cobras down at speed no question.

I don’t generally do any fancy stuff like splitting throttle binnacles, walking sideways and other tricks the guys are talking about here, I’m too simple.
but for my needs and wants - this is it, I think.