• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New dual bank charger and AGM batteries

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have purchased a new digital battery charger from Dual Pro Model#SS2.

I just ordered one for the Scarab. I will post more info on this thread when I get it. We have very little flat surface real estate within our storage locations which makes it difficult to install any charger in an optimal location near the batteries.

I also purchased a couple of the new:
OPTIMA® Batteries 8016-103 D34M BLUETOP® Marine Boat Deep-Cycle Starting

Here is more info on both products:
http://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/SS2b-insert.pdf

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/bluetop/optima-batteries-8016-103-d34m-bluetop-marine-boat-deep-cycle-starting/

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok first step is to place the charger, and all its parts in front of you. Make sure you have all the equipment that comes with the unit.

Read all the instructions first before installing or doing anything!

I decided to install my charger in the passenger rear cargo area. There is a cubby spot there that is somewhat wasted space. Also, its one of the few spots on the boat where there is wood to attach to!

Running the wires is easy, but you are going to have to lengthen one of the port leads to reach the other side of the boat. (if you have a dual battery setup thats kick ass like mine,lol)

There is a small hole in between the bulkhead and the base of the storage cubby. Its big enough to get a slew of wires/cables through. Reach up and you will feel it.

The unit has a raised mount to be able to run wires under it. Screw it in, and tie wrap the cables together. make sre you clamp down the cables with stainless or aluminum U clamps and stainless screws.

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Next, I took off the rear cup holder, and decided thats where I was going to put a plug in. This was helpful because I didnt want to drill holes in the hull.

I opened a 1 7/8" hole and also put 4 1/4" holes around the edges for water drainage. Then you place the plug adapter and tighten. It has a rubber cap to protect it when not in use.

Then, its time to attach the batteries, tie wrap your wires along the engine bay bulkhead, and attach your batteries.

Once you have looked over your work, plug the charger in. The status bars will light up, and if your batteries are charged, they will blink green.

Here is the finished product. Notice the two green lights on the display.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are 2 "brute force" chargers available on the market: 1 line is by Minn-Kota, the other is by Pro Charging Systems.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Battery-Chargers/Product-Group/Chargers-Group/
http://www.dualpro.com/

There is a reason why. It's how they were designed and how they are built. You can buy CHEAPER, but you cannot buy better.
I own 1 of both.

I love my 3-bankers in my Skeeter, but these days I strongly recommend the Minn-Kota line, from the same company (Johnson Outdoors) who gives us the wonderful Minn-Kota line of trolling motors, Humminbord GPS/Fish Finders/chartplotters, Old Town Canoes, and a LOT more brands.

Minn-Kota makes 2 "series" of Chargers: The "D" series, as in MK 220-D (D for digital) and the more Expensive "PC" ("Precision Chargers") line.

The PC lineup WILL de-sulphate, accommodates all 3 types of batteries, and cleans & conditions batteries w/ each charge cycle.

I hope this helps you, @ScarabMike. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian

PS - Neither of these 2 brands of chargers is "cheap" - They are simply the BEST you can buy. PERIOD !

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed two Diehard Platinum group 31 AGM batteries with a Guest 2610A charger last year. I communicated with an engineer at Guest before using the charger. The combination has worked well so far.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I installed two Diehard Platinum group 31 AGM batteries with a Guest 2610A charger last year. I communicated with an engineer at Guest before using the charger. The combination has worked well so far.
@Bruce: From the guest manual for that charger:
"This sophisticated device is ideal for recharging and maintaining the 12VDC batteries in your boat, electric vehicle or cart, ATV, snowmobile or motorcycle."

Excellent choice, @Bruce !@

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The motorguide charger is great. Again, I use it on all my generators. But, we dont use agm batteries, just regular ones. None have failed. Each one of these generators gets deployed in some of the worst conditions, and they all have active GPS systems.

Here is a picture of one of my sites...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you planning for deployment this weekend?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed two Diehard Platinum group 31 AGM batteries with a Guest 2610A charger
Were you able to find new trays to fit the group 31? I did my homework and want the platinums as well but have not seen trays for them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were you able to find new trays to fit the group 31? I did my homework and want the platinums as well but have not seen trays for them.
I used two battery boxes with a single ratchet strap holding both in place.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just opened the charger user guide and I see that it states -"For use with Flooded (Lead-Acid) or Gel Batteries. Not for use with AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) or 4D or 8D large capacity batteries"

Just thought I would post that since you said you were going with AGM batteries.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Optimas ARE a"gel" battery type, in case anyone was interested. Hey ! Enjoy your week ahead - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Mike ......... Glad I could help. I have the PRO model (3-bank) in my Skeeter. Could not be happier. Glad I was able to be of assistance.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Changed first post to correct battery type, and charger. Sorry for the confusion everyone. The battery type is not a 31. Its a 24 stock, that converts to a D34M Optima.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are the life of those Optima batteries?? Assuming that you take care of them throughout the year.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson Honestly no one can tell. There are many factors that can kill a battery no mater what they are made of. Environment, temperature, maintenance, usage. There are no bulletproof batteries out there. I had a Braille battery in my old ISF, and because it was so hot here in the summers, it killed the battery in 2 years.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I feel @ScarabMike provided a good assessment of battery life.
I would like to add that proper BATTERY MAINTENANCE, through use of a quality charger, WILL INCREASE (or at least "maximize" ) battery life.
BATTERY MAINTENANCE, not "charging" ability, is the far more important aspect of a good on-board charger.
As always, my $ 0.02 worth. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA