• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New features, existing features, forum use...what do ya think????

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we've been online now for over a year and have steadily added features and capabilities to the site as we've seen the need or been asked to by members. As we stated from the start, our goal is to make this the best place to share information and to build our community. We've had nothing but positive feedback overall...which is fantastic! So here is a quick review of some of the features we already have (in case you missed them-with links to them where applicable), and then a couple of ideas we are dabbling on. But we want your feedback.....

Here is a listing of some of the addons we've applied to the base forum software to make the site more user friendly (this is in addition to the amazing base features that come by default with the forum):

Calendar 4.4 - provides the calendar were we can post upcoming events
FAQ Manager by Iversia 3.2.0 - Tool we are using to build a linkable FAQ
Find Unanswered Threads 1.0.5 - Creates the button to show unanswered threads
Join User Group by Waindigo 1.1.6 - allows members to request to become a member of a usergroup
MattW Back To Top 1.0.3b -the floating "Back to Top" button in the lower right of the screen
Moped Map 1.0.7 - Our cool member map
Post Ratings 1.7.2 - Post ratings enhanced from just "Like" to whole selection of options
ragtek Most Online User 1.0.0 - Shows most users online under forum statistics on the Forum Tab.
Respollo 1.0 - helps scale the logo at the top of the screen
Sidebar Positions 2.1 Provides an easy way to control the default XenForo sidebar blocks
Similar Threads 3.3 - Shows similar threads when you type a title in a new post
TPU: Add Signature Pictures 1.0.0 -enables easier signature photo additions
TPU: Detect Spam Registrations 1.5.0 - Keeps out SPAM! WOOT!
TPU: Detect Spam Registrations (Javascript) 1.1.0 - Keeps out SPAM! WOOT!
User Criteria by Waindigo 1.0.15 - Allows us to filter/award trophys with more accuracy
WDB Popular Content 1.0.5 - Creates the Popular Content list
XenForo Enhanced Search 1.1.2 - Improves the search capabilities
XenForo Media Gallery 1.0.5 - provides a place for us to share photos in bulk or one at a time (outside of a thread)
[bd] Tag Me 3.0.5b - enables usergroup tagging that supports our "help" reachout function
[MWS] Daily Statistics 1.2.4a - enables us to graph and review server stats
[XenMods] HashTagging 2.0 Stable - allows members to hashtag topics and find them
We do want to build a better "Landing Page", but that is a work in progress that will take us some time. We don't want it to be a stale set of info. A cool landing page would break our various features up into visible chunks, so it might have the member map, popular posts, top members, latest photos etc all in their own quadrant. The key is to use it to link to for new members, and for existing members to have a snapshot of what is going on with the site.

I have an idea on an addon that would "publish" (to a dedicated sub forum) the trophies people earn so we can all share and see who is reaching various milestones. Right now, no one notices when someone hits 1000 likes etc. Might be fun to see/publish that recognition.

We may add the capability for members to search for other members by their boat types etc (custom user searching). Not sure what people's thoughts are on this, or if it would have much use. What do you think?

What else might we be able to do to make the site more user friendly and/or supportive of our amazing community? Bring on the ideas!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm for user groups for major year/models versions of boats. I'd be interested to hear of any new posts from someone needing help specifically from the '04-07 or so 23' boat group since I have one. (My suggestion thread is a few posts down in this forum.) :p

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if there's any way to do a map, tied to a calendar, for "check-ins". Kind of like Facebook, but allows you to schedule your time at a particular location in advance. It would be great to find a boating destination on the map where you're planning on going and check to see if there's any other forum members planning to be there at that time.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would be great to find a boating destination on the map where you're planning on going and check to see if there's any other forum members planning to be there at that time.
Interesting idea....kind of like a Swarm/FourSquare app (before they fouled up things)....not sure this would be easy...but we'll see if there is anything out there that supports this.

I'm for user groups for major year/models versions of boats. I'd be interested to hear of any new posts from someone needing help specifically from the '04-07 or so 23' boat group since I have one.
On this front, we need to think about how the forums are set up and if we want people to "Watch" forums they are interested in, or if we want the ability to "@" large groups of people, as that could become Spam like. But the idea of regional user groups has also been raised before. Which sort of links to your above idea.....a Falls Lake User group for example would be cool....where members join and then if you @FallsLake, then they'd all get a notification???? How would that work?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think I'd want a "pushed" notification if people were boating in my neck of the woods. If I were going out, I'd check it. Also we often don't have cell service... and my cell usually stays put away while on the water anyways. Which is why I'd propose being able to schedule destinations ahead of time versus real-time.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think I'd want a "pushed" notification if people were boating in my neck of the woods. If I were going out, I'd check it. Also we often don't have cell service... and my cell usually stays put away while on the water anyways. Which is why I'd propose being able to schedule destinations ahead of time versus real-time.
A usergroup would allow you to both coordinate and get alerts (if you enabled them).

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Julian, Bruce, Mel and all who help run the show, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all this work you do.

The site is great, the people are great and the information is priceless.

I do have one request...would it be at all possible to block any and all links to things I might buy?
It's gotten to the point where I'm getting personal thank you notes from Jeff Bezos. Did you know that Amazon Prime NOW, now has one hour delivery? :eek:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be nice (if it doesn't exist already) to customize the order of options on the main page. Like "new posts, watched forums, watched threads, etc".

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, Bruce, Mel and all who help run the show, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all this work you do.

The site is great, the people are great and the information is priceless.

I do have one request...would it be at all possible to block any and all links to things I might buy?
It's gotten to the point where I'm getting personal thank you notes from Jeff Bezos. Did you know that Amazon Prime NOW, now has one hour delivery? :eek:
So you'd like an AUTO ADD TO CART option....did I get that right? :winkingthumbsup":rolleyes::facepalm:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would be nice (if it doesn't exist already) to customize the order of options on the main page. Like "new posts, watched forums, watched threads, etc".
Not sure this one will be possible. But I know we can change the order for everyone (requires some style changes). We do make sure that "Recent Posts" says in the UI no matter your screen resolution. Are you thinking that you'd always want, say...."Recent Posts" to be the first in the bar?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think Glassman wants a feature that continuously compares mod lists in user signatures to the master favorite mod list and automatically charges your card and sends out a new item from the list every other week.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure this one will be possible. But I know we can change the order for everyone (requires some style changes). We do make sure that "Recent Posts" says in the UI no matter your screen resolution. Are you thinking that you'd always want, say...."Recent Posts" to be the first in the bar?
@Julian, the "New Posts" is 95% of the time where I'm at ;). On portrait orientation I see it first, but on landscape it bumps to fourth.

This forum is already pretty amazing, so thanks for all that you guys do. Just the fact that you're looking for ideas on how to improve it sets this site apart!!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think Glassman wants a feature that continuously compares mod lists in user signatures to the master favorite mod list and automatically charges your card and sends out a new item from the list every other week.
I'm not so sure you have that right....he did mention Amazon Prime one hour delivery. ..so I'm thinking mail it as soon as a delta is noticed....to arrive in one hour!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you'd like an AUTO ADD TO CART option....did I get that right? :winkingthumbsup":rolleyes::facepalm:
Oh Man!
I had a scary experience with that!

I thought I was adding items to a "Wish List" !!!

I freaked out when The stuff showed up...the emails go to my wife and she knows I'm crazy and didn't bother to mention anything to me. I mean, even though I might have purchased it sooner or later it was for things scheduled out a while....jeesh, damn near had a heart attack.....what the fuuuuuu??:eek:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On this front, we need to think about how the forums are set up and if we want people to "Watch" forums they are interested in, or if we want the ability to "@" large groups of people, as that could become Spam like. But the idea of regional user groups has also been raised before. Which sort of links to your above idea.....a Falls Lake User group for example would be cool....where members join and then if you @FallsLake, then they'd all get a notification???? How would that work?

I mentioned this to @Bruce last week, just no clue how to actually make it work and such. I think it's a fantastic idea.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the best feature to date is our members!! Woot!

I think we need an Admin feature to ward off evil if it should ever invade this site. We could call it the "Group Buy" button, an admin can smash the button to immediately cease all activity on the forum to preserve its virgin beauty. ;)