• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New from Tampa Bay...need advice on Yamaha SX

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greetings. I am looking to jump into the community and get some advice on my first jetboat purchase. I have owned a few jet ski's, but for the past 5 years been without a watercraft. I just sold my "toy", a 2011 Camaro SS, as I have two boys 6 months and 4 years and rarely drove the car. Initially I wanted to purchase a pair of jet ski's, but after discussion with my wife and the fact that our close friends own jet ski's, we have set our sights on a boat. This boat will be used for recreation in the Bay, and bouncing around to the many barrier islands off the gulfcoast. Once my boys get older we may start towing a tube( I think we are many years away form wake boarding) and I will do some casual fishing but not often. I have a 15 Silverado 1500 Z71 6.2 litre so I know I will have no problem towing the boat/trailer. The biggest decision is trying to decide between the following boats...the Sx190, Sx192 and Sx195. From what I can tell the 2016 and 2017 SX190 are almost identical. For the 2016 SX192, the 17 SX195 is the replacement? Looks like the only change is going from the SHO 1.8 to the SVHO 1.8? I am looking to get a pretty cool deal and be price conscious. I like speed, so I am leaning toward the SX195 with the supercharged power and I also like the ugprades speakers and other items. Please, any advice is welcome!! I want to purchase this month!

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 3.5 year old and a 15 month old, so I know the feeling! We went with the supercharged model because we wanted the power available without having to do additional mods. It is a bit of a gas hog, but that's the price you pay for the capability. We trail the boat to North Carolina and hit the Atlantic. We've been on the Chesapeake, Lake Erie and several local lakes. I can honestly say that we've never complained about having too much power in any situation we've found ourselves in, and the fuel use is just what it is.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go with at least a 21ft boat. I promise, I promise, you won't regret it.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 boys..10, 6 and 4 months.....we couldn't be happier with the 21ft boat we chose, look at the option at least

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hate to add more money to your bill but definitely a 21 or 24 footer for the water around here. I live up in Tarpon Springs and have it SX 240 depends on which way the wind's blowing you get out in the Gulf or up here by the islands in Tarpon the water can kick up pretty good pretty fast. Definitely go down to Cycle Springs in Clearwater ask for a Salesman named Scott tell him Jeremy sent you best place around here to buy Yamaha hands down

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I love the 195 but for the price you can almost get a 210. If it was me I would go this way as I never fly around with my boys as they are too little.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others if your looking at a 195 at least explore the 21ft option I imagine you wont regret going bigger.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you sure your family will enjoy boating? In particular, your wife? You may want to consider a used Yamaha at first to reduce the money outlay while determining an answer to those questions. Used Yamaha's are reliable and may have mods done to them already. Just a suggestion to add to your decision making process. Have fun with it.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've heard a lot of people say they wish they would have went with a 21 instead of 19. Your truck will handle towing either. Unfortunately this is all just what I hear, I have no experience with a 19. I used to have a 17 foot ski boat and my AR210 has what feels like double (at least!) the room. No one is ever in anyone's way, more storage than I know what to do with, etc.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you for the responses. My wife and I used to live on our jet ski's before the kids and she is a beach-aholic. My 4 year old has gone out with me a handful of times ( my neighbor has a set of Yamaha waverunners) and he can't get enough. So we have friends to go out on the bay and to the islands with, so I am fairly confident in the choice of a boat. I do not have the time to be dealing with excessive maintenance, issues, but if used Yamha are truly reliable I am open to that route.

I will take a look at the 210's even though they are a bit more than I want to spend, and Cycle Springs is the place I was planning on going to.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not to keep adding to your bill, but get a tower (AR)... I had never wake boarded before i bought my boat and now wish i had one... As my kids get older they want one too...

Equally important though it is allows to store boards out of the way.

Take a look a a slightly used AR... (unless you are 1000% sure you or your kids will never want a tower)

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thank you for the responses. My wife and I used to live on our jet ski's before the kids and she is a beach-aholic. My 4 year old has gone out with me a handful of times ( my neighbor has a set of Yamaha waverunners) and he can't get enough. So we have friends to go out on the bay and to the islands with, so I am fairly confident in the choice of a boat. I do not have the time to be dealing with excessive maintenance, issues, but if used Yamha are truly reliable I am open to that route.

I will take a look at the 210's even though they are a bit more than I want to spend, and Cycle Springs is the place I was planning on going to.
Alot of us around the Tampa Clearwater area got our boats from there great group of guys

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does the AR provide the same sort of sun coverage ( bimini top) as the SX?

also does 2 feet really make that much of a difference?? Just looked at the SX210, other than the twin engines, I cant visually (in pictures) tell a difference from the SX190

Last edited:

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
210's are out of my price range.....so I am going to stick o the 190/195 debate. Leaning toward 195SX....I don't see my oldest being into wake boarding until he is atleast 10 and that is 6 years out. If we love boating so much maybe at that time we can upgrade to an AR210 or equivalent of that come 2023!

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My .02
I've owned non tower jet boats for over 10 years. Every time I'd be at the dock people would use my Bimini top to hold the boat or to get on or off the boat. It would drive me crazy thinking one of these times they're going to break it. In 2015 I picked up anAR190. At the time the tower seemed useless to my needs but the color scheme was perfect. After my 1st time in the water I was convinced that tower is the only way to go. It gives passengers a place to hold on to and It keeps the Bimini up out of the way.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ thank you that helps. My only concern is in photos it looks like the AR tower boats have less Bimini sun coverage

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i think they do have slightly less coverage, but not significant...

Said another way, i think there is still enough coverage to get out of the sun if wanted