• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Guy - never owned a boat

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have never owned a boat. Just bought a lake house.

Wife, 2 boy 9 & 10.

Weekend use.

Looking at boats it can be really easy to just talk your way all the way up to a 242X.

I have not gone and looked at the boats but everybody is saying buy your 2nd boat first.

AR210 looks like a good place to start.

212X for more power?

Go to the 24' to get the biggest engines.

242X is $81K out the door at my local dealer.

Not sure I want to bite off that much. The bigger top and electronic engine controls look like a nice plus.

Comments?

Thanks,
D.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was in your shoes 5 years ago, went with the 242 LS - no regrets

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is that basically top of the line at the time?

I see your in McKinney. I am down in Red Oak. What dealer did you use? Any advice either way?

Thanks,
D.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, that was the top of the line at that time. I bought it from Phil Dill at the boat show summer 2011. I felt I got a good deal and good service since.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought a lake house.
Sounds like you need a new set of friends,
Will you have a boat lift or will you have to launch from trailer?

If money is a consideration at all then you may want to look at a 07-09 230 or 212x, they both have MR1-ho engines, they are a little louder than the new ones but at about 20-25K it's a lot less expensive.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
just get the 24' and be done with it LOL. If your boys want to engage in some watersports, the X is nice. If you are the type that likes to do projects, you can add-on the wake sports stuff on one of the other 24'. I would get the E series thought....

as someone else said, if money is an issue, the best deal is to buy a lightly used boat, maybe under 100 hours. That knocks a large amount off, BUT, you probably won't get the 15 year finance option on used.

Any used 2016 242 x's yet?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas . Take time to seriously consider a used Yamaha at this point. Give some pause to spending $80,000 and make sure your whole family will be invested in boating first.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like you need a new set of friends,
Will you have a boat lift or will you have to launch from trailer?

If money is a consideration at all then you may want to look at a 07-09 230 or 212x, they both have MR1-ho engines, they are a little louder than the new ones but at about 20-25K it's a lot less expensive.

Looking at building a dock with a lift later this year. I don't plan on hauling it to other lakes much - but who knows.

Money is always a consideration but don't want to buy somebody's headache. I am leaning towards new for that exact reason. My time is somewhat limited - I want it to work every single time. Of course - a new one could be a dud also. So, I won't rule out pre-owned.

Thanks,
D.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just get the 24' and be done with it LOL. If your boys want to engage in some watersports, the X is nice. If you are the type that likes to do projects, you can add-on the wake sports stuff on one of the other 24'. I would get the E series thought....

as someone else said, if money is an issue, the best deal is to buy a lightly used boat, maybe under 100 hours. That knocks a large amount off, BUT, you probably won't get the 15 year finance option on used.

Any used 2016 242 x's yet?
Love projects - but only so much time. Lake House is a part time place so, less projects is better.

Looks like these yamahas hold their value pretty well. I would want to get nice chunk off or I will just buy new.

Not worried about the financing - more about the right deal.

Heck, some of these boats are listed like less than $5K off a new one.

D.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree with @Scottintexas . Take time to seriously consider a used Yamaha at this point. Give some pause to spending $80,000 and make sure your whole family will be invested in boating first.
Yeah - who knows - maybe an AR210 is the sweet spot for new ones price wise. That E series is pretty slick - there in lies the problem. Easy to say just another $5K here and there and then you are at $80K.

I gotta figure out really changes from model to model. Heck - wake boarding sounds and looks cool - heck, maybe we dont need the wake bags - not like we are pros. Heck, we dont even own a wake board, boat, nothing.

D.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, that was the top of the line at that time. I bought it from Phil Dill at the boat show summer 2011. I felt I got a good deal and good service since.
Good to know - I talked to Travis up there the other day. He says there is another boat show coming up in Dallas in late July.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Darin, I was in a similar situation two years ago (but without the lake place). I had been on plenty of boats but never owned. I too did not want to take on a potential problem with a used boat and like to have the comfort of knowing everything will (or should) work and is under warranty. We went with a 212x for the extra power and the water sports upgrades. We love the boat and have put on 50 hours each short Minnesota summer and I've also done a bunch of mods to make the boat mine.

I toyed with upgrading to a 2017 this year for the more quiet ride but ultimately did not want to lock in a big hit to my investment and also have to start over with mods.

My son and I have learned to wakeboard and have a great time with it but so far have not used / needed the ballast except for when I had a friend with us that knows how to board well and could actually do something with the bigger wake.

I have yet to try surfing, partly because that will trigger a big project to chase good wave that will cost me a lot of $$$ and space in the boat. For now wakeboarding and tubing is plenty of fun.

If I were buying again today it would be a 212 limited S, or maybe the AR240 for the extra space and mod it up to my desired spec. You can get throttle / cruise control mods that get you close to the E function for far less dough. Just check this forum for your shopping list.

Also, if you already have a lake place it stands to reason you are financially committed to lake life in a much bigger way than just the boat, so I would not see the boat as being the big risk here. You will have it sitting right out front and you are going to use it!

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the info.

I need to go look at some boats!

D.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have never owned a boat. Just bought a lake house.

Wife, 2 boy 9 & 10.

Weekend use.

Looking at boats it can be really easy to just talk your way all the way up to a 242X.

I have not gone and looked at the boats but everybody is saying buy your 2nd boat first.

AR210 looks like a good place to start.

212X for more power?

Go to the 24' to get the biggest engines.

242X is $81K out the door at my local dealer.

Not sure I want to bite off that much. The bigger top and electronic engine controls look like a nice plus.

Comments?

Thanks,
D.
Hey man, I know where you're at with this. My wife's family boats where my family always was camping. I had no boating experience. I bought a used Yamaha Exciter 270 and fixed it up. WE LOVED it and the people we met from the forums SO MUCH that we upgraded to the 212ss really quickly. BUT, we tried it with a small used boat first, found that we loved it and THEN we were sure. Don't be afraid to buy something used. I would highly recommend checking our classifieds section and watch for any of the 21 or 23 footers as they are probably the best bang for the buck used. ESPECIALLY the AR models! FAR less than 80k!
If you had been boating before, I would agree to start with the 24' series as they are just awesome (though i don't own one!) but if it your FIRST boat then used may be perfect.
another thing! will you be parking it on a lift? tie to a dock overnight? Lake, not salt water?

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey man, I know where you're at with this. My wife's family boats where my family always was camping. I had no boating experience. I bought a used Yamaha Exciter 270 and fixed it up. WE LOVED it and the people we met from the forums SO MUCH that we upgraded to the 212ss really quickly. BUT, we tried it with a small used boat first, found that we loved it and THEN we were sure. Don't be afraid to buy something used. I would highly recommend checking our classifieds section and watch for any of the 21 or 23 footers as they are probably the best bang for the buck used. ESPECIALLY the AR models! FAR less than 80k!
If you had been boating before, I would agree to start with the 24' series as they are just awesome (though i don't own one!) but if it your FIRST boat then used may be perfect.
another thing! will you be parking it on a lift? tie to a dock overnight? Lake, not salt water?
Thanks for the input.

Lake - no salt.

On a lift at my house.

Winter - pull it out and stick it in the barn.

Used boat might happen.

I dont think I can bring myself to do $80K. USed boat or a new AR210 or something with good resale in case I want to move up or move on.

Lots of options out there.

Thanks,
D.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What do you intend to use the boat for the most? That will help understand which boat might suit you best for your needs. I don't think anyone needs to spend $80k on their first boat to enjoy a Yamaha. They are all great boats old and new. That's a lot of money and depending on your needs and wants of the boat it could mean shopping outside of Yamaha for a lot more boat for the money, especially if water sports is a big factor in deciding.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What do you intend to use the boat for the most? That will help understand which boat might suit you best for your needs. I don't think anyone needs to spend $80k on their first boat to enjoy a Yamaha. They are all great boats old and new. That's a lot of money and depending on your needs and wants of the boat it could mean shopping outside of Yamaha for a lot more boat for the money, especially if water sports is a big factor in deciding.
Heck - not sure yet. I don't see hauling it to other lakes. One reason we bought a lake house is for ease of use.

Drive around the lake. Some fishing. Tubing Try some wake boarding Some fishing Duck hunting maybe? Sun rises, sunsets, July 4th fireworks.

Seems like simple is better - start and go every time. One reason I am leaning toward the Yamaha and jet boat.

Seem pretty safe for the kiddos - no prop.

Swim deck is awesome.

General boating around - no real specifics yet. Dont want to keep buying boats - would be fine with spending a tad more money getting something that will suit our needs longer term and be reliable. Was debating the wake bags - none of us have done any wake boarding so probably just something else to break and take up the center storage.

One thing I do know - if it is a pain, it won't get used. So need a good dock with a lift and the boat needs to work every time and be low maintenance.

D.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Low maintenance = you'll want to stick with a jet boat so you've come to the right place. Only reason I asked was in case you mentioning surfing was a big priority and you were gonna spend 80k I would suggest a real Wake boat for that kind of money but if you're not serious for that and want ease of use and maintenance then it's hard to beat a Yamaha or jet boat.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Low maintenance = you'll want to stick with a jet boat so you've come to the right place. Only reason I asked was in case you mentioning surfing was a big priority and you were gonna spend 80k I would suggest a real Wake boat for that kind of money but if you're not serious for that and want ease of use and maintenance then it's hard to beat a Yamaha or jet boat.
Not in a hurry to spend $80K unless it seems to amen sense. For example buy too little boat for $40K. Lose $10K on it and then buy a $60K boat and sell it and loose $10k and buy the $80K boat but with the hit on the others I am into it $100K... Just another way to look at it.

D.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I second Phil Dill. Boat two boats from them. They always shoot you straight. Also did the same thing 5 years ago. Bought the top of the line model and haven't looked back. Weekends are short and my boat sits at a marina, I don't have the ability to store at my house where I can tinker with issues which is why I bought new. Go for the 242x, it's a beautiful boat!