• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new head unit and speakers - AR192

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Super excited. Got a new fusion ra70 for my 192 to replace that garbage pile factory unit, Clarion M502. I hate that single multifunction knob. Terrible design. Also got 4 new Infiniti 622mlw speakers. Hoping to get them installed this week. But the weather in Georgia is supposed to be bad rest of the week.

Attachments

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Well I got rained out in the middle of my install. All I could get done tonight was installing the fusion HU. I wish fusions had the normal car radio metal insert things. I had to do some creative engineering with the factory black faceplate.

Had to grind the opening a little bigger to accommodate the fusion backer plate, but I got it in and I'm happy with the way it looks.

I wired to the harness by cutting the old Clarion harness wires and wiring the fusions harness to the factory harness. The only wire the factory harness has that the fusion doesn't is the red ignition wire. For now I just left that disconnected. I also took the inline fuse out of the yellow wire since the fusion has a fuse on board.

Here's some pics of what I've done so far. Last one was my helper!

Attachments

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks. So couldn't leave well enough one. Got a new package today....plan on using the last 2 channels of this amp on tower speakers one day. Mainly for behind the boat listening

Looking forward to seeing how much a difference the amp can make vs the head unit alone

Attachments

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good idea! The amp makes a really big difference. I have a jl m700/5 pushing cheap speakers and I get compliments all the time. I wish I did the amp and tower speakers a long time ago

Edit: my friend parked his boat next to me. He put expensive jl speakers and a cheap amp. I have cheap speakers and a jl amp. Mine sounds a lot better and he regrets his choice.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the install. Calling for rain all week here in Georgia. Booooo
Eventually I'll get a sub, but I think I'll be happy with the new Infiniti speakers and JL amp. Going to hook up the RGB lights in speakers too.
I'm already super excited about the fusion HU. I hated my old Clarion unit. The fusion is slick and love the wireless Stern remote I stuck on.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I threw the M502 in the trash this season and finally installed the fusion RA70 I had sitting in the box for years. Did not cut the mounting plate though. Sandwiched the RA70 plastic mounts around the plate and mounted it with the 2 bolts. Used the remains of the old clarion harness as well. The red wire is useless with the 1a fuse in it. Used the posi-twist wire connectors. Left the polk dB 651 speakers in place. It was not loud enough to hear over the engine. Used this as an excuse to buy an amp. The tiny clarion amp that everyone recommenced here has more than doubled in price, so I used the Polk 4000.4. set not to mess with the head unit output aside from the increase in wattage. Could only get it to turn on using the amp turn on wire from the back of the fusion. Now radio can be heard at full throttle throughout the boat. Expect similar results.

Attempted to industrial Velcro the amp under the radio, that didn’t work. Velcro was fine but adhesive failed. Tried a permatex adhesive tape that is used to glue the panels on the side of campers. That failed the heat test as well. Amp needs to be screwed into some plastic and bolted to the screws on the back of the left bow seat when I am feeling bored.

Last edited:

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I threw the M502 in the trash this season and finally installed the fusion RA70 I had sitting in the box for years. Did not cut the mounting plate though. Sandwiched the RA70 plastic mounts around the plate and mounted it with the 2 bolts. Used the remains of the old clarion harness as well. The red wire is useless with the 1a fuse in it. Left the polk dB 651 speakers in place. It was not loud enough to hear over the engine. Used this as an excuse to buy an amp. Polk 4000.4. Could only get it to turn on using the amp turn on wire from the back of the fusion. Now radio can be heard at full throttle throughout the boat. Expect similar results.

Attempted to industrial Velcro the amp under the radio, that didn’t work. Velcro was fine but adhesive failed. Tried a permatex adhesive tape that is used to glue the panels on the side of campers. That failed the heat test as well. Amp needs to be screwed into some plastic and bolted to the screws on the back of the left bow seat when I am feeling bored.
Thanks for tips. That 502 is poor design. Might be capable, but jeeez I hated the single knob. I would randomly pause or call someone back on my phone by pushing that big knob one way by accident. Good riddance! Love the fusion and the app is awesome too.

I think I'm going to mount a piece of plastic over the opening for the backrest of the left bow seat to screw the amp in.

I'm excited for the amp. Also got the wet sounds RGB controller that I'm pumped for too. Going to add RGB strips throughout the cabin eventually, but right now just hooking up the speakers built in lights.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1 major flaw with the M502 is that it has volatile memory. If you turn the battery switch to off, say good bye to the bluetooth. Everytime you need to pair your phone again. I replaced it with the M508 and it doesnt have this problem

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
1 major flaw with the M502 is that it has volatile memory. If you turn the battery switch to off, say good bye to the bluetooth. Everytime you need to pair your phone again. I replaced it with the M508 and it doesnt have this problem
Yes yes yes. I had the battery off on the new fusion. Switched it on as soon as I got in boat. Before I could sit down in captains chair, it was connected and playing the music from my iPhone. Loved that! The 502 was a chore to connect Everytime.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Fusion Bluetooth phone app is pretty great, just wish they would map the stereo volume button to the physical buttons on the phone, rather than trying to find where to tap the screen to increase the volume while driving the boat bouncing around at forty something miles per hour

My M502 lost a channel early in its life, then the Bluetooth refused to pair. It was like a bad joke.

I see a led lighting kit for at least the speaker rings in my future. The smooth water at dusk and beyond is awesome.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My M502 lost a channel early in its life, then the Bluetooth refused to pair. It was like a bad joke.
Same! If someone plugs their phone into the USB then the bluetooth will refuse to pair even after disconnecting the phone or the battery. I lost my temper and hit the stereo, after which it started to work again. It was at that moment I dropped $1200 on a new head unit, amp, tower speakers etc. I was tired of fussing with that crappy M502

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Whew that was a bitch! The wetsounds RGB music controller is a bit of a bust. Has a terrible hissing when connected and also can't adjust the sensitivity. But got it from crutchfield so I'll see what they say.

Here is install. It's a bitch running those wires for the lights.

Attachments

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What RCA cables are you using? You can pick up interference from the RGB controller, it happened to me with a cheap RCA cable that doesn't have shielding. Especially if you coil up the RCA cables.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
JL cables. They are zip tied up right with the other cables.

Another issue with the controller is the sensitivity knob doesn't work. If the volume is too high, the lights don't change. Seems like the low end does that.... not sure what to do or if it's just a bad controller

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were there any bolts / nuts holding your left bow seat back in?

Found out there are wing nuts on the back of the right one to access behind the dash, but I did not see an obvious way to remove the left one, just a bunch of threaded bolts with no nuts coming through into the port console out of that left bow back cushion,

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
JL cables. They are zip tied up right with the other cables.

Another issue with the controller is the sensitivity knob doesn't work. If the volume is too high, the lights don't change. Seems like the low end does that.... not sure what to do or if it's just a bad controller
Oh ok. Those RCA's should be good. I'm not familiar with RGB controllers that go with music. Good luck!

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Were there any bolts / nuts holding your left bow seat back in?

Found out there are wing nuts on the back of the right one to access behind the dash, but I did not see an obvious way to remove the left one, just a bunch of threaded bolts with no nuts coming through into the port console out of that left bow back cushion,
Yea two bolts with big washers and lock washers. See pic with red circles.

Attachments