• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New JL Audio Stereo System Upgrade Incoming - Question about IB Sub Mounting

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled the trigger on my first round of upgrading the stereo on my 15 AR240. I went with what I believe is a pretty popular/proven setup, all provided by Odin@Earmark.

To start, I'm upgrading the factory speakers to MX650's in Sport Gray/Titanium then adding another pair in the cockpit area. I'm also adding (1) JL M10IB5SGTB, running all new speaker wire and powering all of it with a JL M800/8 amplifier. That should give me a pretty decent start to enjoying the stereo on the boat while cruising. I may either add a set of towers or rear deck speakers for when we hang out behind the boat at the sand bars.

With that, I've seen several pictures where people have mounted the JL IB sub by cutting a hole in the starboard side storage compartment. So far I'm planning on going that route, adding the sub with enough space to possibly add a second down the line. I'd add an additional amp as well, etc..etc..

Here's an idea of what I'm looking to accomplish for reference (starting with 1 IB sub for now):
Yamaha-AR240-Audio-1.jpg

However, I've recently seen a few posts where people have mounted them on the port side storage compartment area. I think you could possible squeeze two there or maybe go 1 port 1 starboard.

What I'm wanting to know is there any real advantage on mounting to either location? My initial thought was shorter wire runs on the starboard side but the rear of the sub would take up some space in that storage compartment. Mounting it on the port side would mean longer wire runs but have to run new wires anyhow and the sub sticking out into the battery compartment wouldn't be any lose of real space.

Anything else I'm missing in regards to mounting the sub or is it 6 in 1 half a dozen?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something I've been debating hm kn my sx230 as well.

MY plan is to mount the amps in the battery compartment anyways, for shorter runs of cable. Since that space gets used for literally nothing, it makes the most sense to locate as much as possible there. My boat as a little pocket on that side (and my girlfriend seems to like having it) so I may or may not put it there (there is SO MUCH wasted storage space right behind there). But even with 3 batteries and amps going in there, there is a ton of extra space still.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have mine next to the passenger seat. Out of the way, which is what I wanted... less chance of damage. I used 1/2" starboard on the backside as a baffle to stiffen up the fiberglass.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wire length is irrelevant to performance. You should reinforce the fiberglass wherever you mount it.
20180415_211927.jpg

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wire length is irrelevant to performance. You should reinforce the fiberglass wherever you mount it.
View attachment 86110
@Jgorm Oh, I meant shorter wire for just shorter/easier runs in general =). I'm being sent a ring from Earmark that they use to mount I'm assuming behind the sub to reinforce it against the fiberglass.