• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New member and owner of SR230!!

Wally234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
We recently bought a super clean 2003 SR230. Found it a just mile away on our home lake after searching for a LONG time all along the east coast!!

Currently have done:
  • rebuilt manhole covers
  • firedancer sticker
  • SS cup holders
  • YDS scan - no codes and only 190 hours! All but 40 hours are under 6k RPMs.

Plans for the fall
  • Lateral Thrusters
  • SS Scupper
  • Deeper mechanical/bilge inspection.
Issues I've noticed:
  • Cover is a PITA, lol
  • Need to slightly stagger throttles to sync engines depending on where I'm at in power band. Need to advance Port throttle.
  • Slight throttle pullback, only when rising just above wake speeds (need to pay attention more closely, I think it's primarily starboard, seems intermittent)
  • Starboard motor has a shudder at one specific RPM, just about 200 rpm above idle. No issues elsewhere. (This issue I would really like to understand better)
  • Bow stern light switch - Bow/stern lights come on automatically while rocker is in neutral. Switching up or down doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Only one 1 inch tear in all the vinyl. Separated along the stitching. I have no prior vinyl experience...what preventative measures can I take?
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!!!

If you have the OE mooring cover it will get easier the more you use it. I love mine even though it gets dust all over from being old and bought a new one instead of putting snaps on the boat for a bow/cockpit cover.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
$21k USD for a 2003? That sounds incredibly high. I sold my 2005 SX230 HO (high output motors) with a massive amount of upgrades (you can see those upgrades in tiny font at the bottom of my signature) in 2016 for $19K as a comparison point. I guess Covid pricing is really through the roof!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, it's paid for now, so too late to be too concerned about price... You have the boat on hand which is what matters.

For your shudder try replacing the spark plugs. For whatever reason new spark plugs tend to help these engines a great deal. Check the FAQs for a fix to the throttle lever falling back...

Best of Luck, Enjoy the boat, feel free to post some pictures so we can see it!

Wally234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
$21k USD for a 2003? That sounds incredibly high. I sold my 2005 SX230 HO (high output motors) with a massive amount of upgrades (you can see those upgrades in tiny font at the bottom of my signature) in 2016 for $19K as a comparison point. I guess Covid pricing is really through the roof!
It's definitely high in historical context but for Covid it's one of the best priced boats I came across. I don't think 2016 pricing is a great barometer for this year's market. I remember seeing a couple late 2000 salt water AR23 for 30k. 2 or 3 2010/11 fresh water 242 for over 42k. And late 90s/ early 2000s merc 90s around 15k with terrible upholstery.

Yes, wish we bought a boat pre covid, but I don't think this would have gone below 20k in this market based on my search. Boat was stocked with new life vests, skis, and some other tow stuff. In any event, This was our price to boat in 2021.

Last edited:

Wally234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Well, it's paid for now, so too late to be too concerned about price... You have the boat on hand which is what matters.

For your shudder try replacing the spark plugs. For whatever reason new spark plugs tend to help these engines a great deal. Check the FAQs for a fix to the throttle lever falling back...

Best of Luck, Enjoy the boat, feel free to post some pictures so we can see it!
I think Marina it was winterized at changes the plugs but I'll try new plugs. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's definitely high in historical context but for Covid it's one of the best priced boats I came across. I don't think 2016 pricing is a great barometer for this year's market. I remember seeing a couple late 2000 salt water AR23 for 30k. 2010/11 fresh water 242 for over 42k. And late 90s/ early 2000s merc 90s around 15k with terrible upholstery.

Yes, wish we bought a boat pre covid, but I don't think this would have gone below 20k in this market based on my search. Boat was stocked with new life vests, skis, and some other tow stuff. In any event, This was our price to boat in 2021.
It is a sellers market for sure!!!! But I would have driven a long way to buy this instead at $11,500 (assuming it has reasonable hours). Retail on this boat is $27k.

But what is important is you are boating!!!!!!!!

Cover up those ECUs with something (flashing tape, flashing....) - they are the weak spot of the MR1s. They aren't well sealed for moisture.

Last edited:

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see your in Wallenpaupack, I assume that's Wallenpaupack Lake in PA? Not been up there yet with the Yammie but plan to soon. Do you boat anywhere else?

Wally234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@Julian not an active listing, I wonder when it's from. Thanks for the ECU tip. I'm going to do that this weekend.

Wally234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@BigT51 Message me when you're planning to visit. Would be cool to meet up. We're on the lake, haven't traveled with the boat yet.

Ctreacy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Would love to see pictures!!!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We recently bought a super clean 2003 SR230. Found it a just mile away on our home lake after searching for a LONG time all along the east coast!!

Currently have done:
  • rebuilt manhole covers
  • firedancer sticker
  • SS cup holders
  • YDS scan - no codes and only 190 hours! All but 40 hours are under 6k RPMs.

Plans for the fall
  • Lateral Thrusters
  • SS Scupper
  • Deeper mechanical/bilge inspection.
Issues I've noticed:
  • Cover is a PITA, lol
  • Need to slightly stagger throttles to sync engines depending on where I'm at in power band. Need to advance Port throttle.
  • Slight throttle pullback, only when rising just above wake speeds (need to pay attention more closely, I think it's primarily starboard, seems intermittent)
  • Starboard motor has a shudder at one specific RPM, just about 200 rpm above idle. No issues elsewhere. (This issue I would really like to understand better)
  • Bow stern light switch - Bow/stern lights come on automatically while rocker is in neutral. Switching up or down doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Only one 1 inch tear in all the vinyl. Separated along the stitching. I have no prior vinyl experience...what preventative measures can I take?
Thanks for reading.
Looks great. Very nice boat.