• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New member from MN

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi. Long term powersports fan, but first time boat owner. Never posted in a forum before, looking forward to boating with other jet boaters as I know very little about making the most of a day on the water. I am reserved, so hoping to see what these awesome Yamaha boats can really do. Not sure if it is showing up, but I have a 2018 212 Limited S. Put about 20 hours on it last summer; mostly on Torch Lake in Michigan.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

If you didn't sell it after a summer, you're probably in love. Your bio states "Minnesota" but you stated you "Torch lake, Michigan". Do you trailer across to MI or do you have a summer cabin there?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi. Long term powersports fan, but first time boat owner. Never posted in a forum before, looking forward to boating with other jet boaters as I know very little about making the most of a day on the water. I am reserved, so hoping to see what these awesome Yamaha boats can really do. Not sure if it is showing up, but I have a 2018 212 Limited S. Put about 20 hours on it last summer; mostly on Torch Lake in Michigan.
Welcome! 212s are awesome boats!

--

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

If you didn't sell it after a summer, you're probably in love. Your bio states "Minnesota" but you stated you "Torch lake, Michigan". Do you trailer across to MI or do you have a summer cabin there?

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Yes, I am in love. I am glad I chose the 212 over the AR210 we were considering. We vacationed in Michigan for a week. MN is the land of lakes, but I have found none here that compare to Torch Lake. Our MN lakes are shallow and disgusting to look at. Torch Lake is deep, dark blue and clean and you cant beat the sandbar...

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I am in love. I am glad I chose the 212 over the AR210 we were considering. We vacationed in Michigan for a week. MN is the land of lakes, but I have found none here that compare to Torch Lake. Our MN lakes are shallow and disgusting to look at. Torch Lake is deep, dark blue and clean and you cant beat the sandbar...
Yeah, I've seen some of your "lakes"... You should stop in by Wisconsin, we've got some mighty fine ones. Although, you have intrigued me and my 212X to take a gander at Torch lake... How's the lake/family life/town?

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I've seen some of your "lakes"... You should stop in by Wisconsin, we've got some mighty fine ones. Although, you have intrigued me and my 212X to take a gander at Torch lake... How's the lake/family life/town?
The little town on the south end is your typical cute town that women like. We camped about 13 miles east at Whispering Pines. Best campground we have found as long as you are not a partier; they enforce a quiet, clean environment. I was a little nervous going to Torch lake over the 4th of July after hearing about the huge rowdy party on the sandbar, but We actually had a blast with the hundreds of boats anchored there. Everything from canoes to 40 foot speed boats, you know the super loud ones you see on Miami Vice...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where are you located in MN? Torch lake is a haul. I guess no weekend boating for you then.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Our MN lakes are shallow and disgusting to look at.
Guessing you are in southern MN like me? Here its shallow lakes or river lakes. You shouldn't characterize this as a MN norm though - I grew up boating on the lakes of northern MN which has no end of absolutely beautiful crystal clear lakes.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very true, I see the lakes around Albert Lea, Owatonna where my dad grew up, and they are quite shallow with no real shoreline to develop. But the Northern 2/3's of the state are, for the most part, awesome.

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Crystal clear MN lake...? Have you been to Torch Lake?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you been to Bad Medicine?

Honestly, in MN, we have two types of snowmobilers. Those that accept the fact that we have good snow and amazing trails that we can ride daily right out of the house, or every weekend if we care to go for better quality or less traffic. And then there are those that think they are mountain riders that buy mountain sleds. And they ride once a month, maybe twice every two months when they can get to the mountains hundreds of miles away. But will not ride in MN, as they feel they are not trail riders.

So the real question is, if you live in MN, and are a boater, you have over 10,000 lakes of different clarity, not to mention rivers. We can boat every day/weekend. Or you can dream of finding the time to trailer 500 miles to “a clear lake”

So my question is, how important is water clarity if you need to scratch that boat itch?

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly, in MN, we have a segment of the population that insists on having their way about everything, including everyone agreeing with their opinion, which to them is fact. I am happy you have it all figured out. Kudos.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey I’m not busting your balls, just figuring out where you boat. And you said you do two states away from home. So it just sounded odd when we have such great boating here. Many of us have met some great folks by sharing locations and seeing some new places.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am intrigued in this Torch Lake. I will be looking into it. I am also looking at hitting some in Minnesota. Not sure what Iowa has to offer, but I'll look there as well. As for Illinois... well, they all come up here so I imagine there isn't much.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Honestly, in MN, we have a segment of the population that insists on having their way about everything, including everyone agreeing with their opinion, which to them is fact. I am happy you have it all figured out. Kudos.
LOL - Really? That's what you got from this conversation so far? Listen you can have your opinion that's fine but you can't come on a boating forum and sh!t all over MN lakes and expect us Minnesotans to just agree with you. I'm sure Torch Lake is beautiful, doesn't mean MN lakes are disgusting. Really?! Every lake I boat on up north is deeper than 40 ft. We boat on Long Lake every year and that is 135 ft deep at its deepest spot. Some lakes are clearer than others but there are many lakes up there that you can see the bottom clear as day at 20 ft deep. Are there any as clear as Torch Lake, I don't know, maybe not - but to characterize MN Lakes as shallow and disgusting to look at..... come on.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am intrigued in this Torch Lake. I will be looking into it. I am also looking at hitting some in Minnesota. Not sure what Iowa has to offer, but I'll look there as well. As for Illinois... well, they all come up here so I imagine there isn't much.
I hear Lake Okeboji in North Central Iowa is amazing. It's not impressive from Google Earth. But from what I can tell, it's got a dense population of lake homes, and a lake chain with bars and places to eat. That's a combination of a real lake party. (if that's what you are looking for)

Lake Pepin from Hastings all the way down to Wabasha and Winona is supposed to be incredible boating. There are some of the biggest boats in the state on that body of water. It truly is a place to spend multiple days with many marina options. I could handle that, as it would open us inland lakers to something that would require real navigation.

A bucket list item would be the Apostle Islands around Bayfield too. Now that we have a decent sized boat, it would not be out of the question to go explore if the weather cooperated. Any place in MN with a "chain of lakes" is a great destination, as there is so much to explore. It's not like dropping into a small round pond that you can see all shores. It makes you want to go explore. Alexandria area, and Brainerd, or the Whitefish chain all come to mind first.

But there are so many with a simple deep stream connecting, and with a tip down tower, or no tower, you can navigate very easily. Others have quite large river systems with no issues at all.

My wife and I are on a mission to explore more lakes this season. We used to back in the day as lake gypsies. Now with a lake home we rent per season, the boat sits on a lift. But I want to go out of my way to pull it at least every other week and go explore. There are just too many beautiful places not to see a few more. We are 45 minutes from the heart of the Detroit Lakes country. We may even find our retirement home. As that is my wife's mission. But I want to spend at least one day on the lake we settle on.

It truly is the land of 10,000 landings and Sandbars. Nothing better than floating up to fresh faces and sharing common interests.

yamadabbadoo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know its a long shot, but I need a boating group, so if you happen to be at Torch Lake on the 4th of July, lets meet up.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know its a long shot, but I need a boating group, so if you happen to be at Torch Lake on the 4th of July, lets meet up.
Roger that. I mentioned it to my neighbor with his 19ft Sea Doo and he is intrigued as well. I'm not opposed to road tripping for a long weekend somewhere.