• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member from South-Central Wisconsin - AR250

husetj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am new to jet boats but have owned and outboard, I/O, direct drive, and now a jet. Wondering if thrust vectors are worth it or not? My wife usually loads the boat after I back down the trailer and she is worried about the impact of steering under low power. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You may not even know yet how lucky you are to get that boat delivered! I've read a good deal in here about Cobra Jet Steering and thrust vectors. Pretty unanimous that they make a ton of difference and some folks have even noted that their boats are even easier to handle than IOs, but I haven't read about how they are on a 250 yet.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There's 100+ threads on low speed steering with jet boats, I'd start there. Welcome to the board (from another 'sconnie!)

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am new to jet boats but have owned and outboard, I/O, direct drive, and now a jet. Wondering if thrust vectors are worth it or not? My wife usually loads the boat after I back down the trailer and she is worried about the impact of steering under low power. Any help would be appreciated.
Find some calm water and practice, you may find you don't need to add anything. Reverse and forward bumps (slow) are your friends, neutral provides no control. Just back and forth, with two motors you should be able to make the boat go where you want it.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I recently bought mine, first jet boat too. With my experience in I/O and outboard I find that its manageable and decided I dont need the thrust vector. However, 4 months later I was visited by friends which I promise to take fishing during daytona bikeweek, it was a very windy day 20+ knots and it's a bit difficult to intercept how the wind/current will point the boat when docking so I decided to get the thrust vector in case I want to go out on windy days. I am yet to take it out but base on reviews here im sure I will see the difference. Both cobra jet and thrust vector have good reputation and its 50/50 here, got thrust vector when it was on sale and free shipping.

Tuffkopf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whoo hoo! Southern Wisconsinites unite!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I live in southeast WI and keep my boat on the Lake Winnebago chain - welcome. :)

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just sold my 2nd jet boat, there is a learning curve...then you will LOVE it for any docking or slow maneuvering....I'm in Muskego Wi, if you need any pointers sometimes it's easier with someone on the boat. Let me know if I can help. In and out in and out...of forward, reverse, etc....it gets very simple...but takes practice...

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you guys located? I have only dealt with a tiller before, so I didn't really have any experience to unlearn, I think you'll enjoy the control you'll have once you get used to it.

I had mine for a little bit before I added Thrust Vectors. The difference in low speed (no wake speeds) steering is worth adding them, IMO. You have Yamaha's version of the lateral thrust vectors, and they help a lot as well.

I'm available to help you learn, but my cigar and liquor fees are non-negotiable!

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Where are you guys located? I have only dealt with a tiller before, so I didn't really have any experience to unlearn, I think you'll enjoy the control you'll have once you get used to it.

I had mine for a little bit before I added Thrust Vectors. The difference in low speed (no wake speeds) steering is worth adding them, IMO. You have Yamaha's version of the lateral thrust vectors, and they help a lot as well.

I'm available to help you learn, but my cigar and liquor fees are non-negotiable!
Cigar and Liquor fees for Wisconsinites is going to be very expensive. Believe me. I know from several experiences.