• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New Member/FSO in the USCG AUX Flotilla 15-10, District 5NR

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought I would start a thread here to share and document Kate's (wife) new adventure.

She's becoming a new member/FSO (flotilla staff officer) of the USCG AUX Flotilla 15-10, Northern Lakes Region, NJ.
"The Auxiliary is the uniformed, non-combat, volunteer arm of the United States Coast Guard. Beyond our primary mission of Recreational Boater Safety, we routinely assist our active duty colleagues when our time and skills align with their needs."
She'll be starting as a coxswain of one of their small patrol boats on Lake Hopatcong. After that, who knows... Lots of water around us, NYC harbor is about as busy a port of entry, and a challenge to patrol, as it gets.

This'll be her new ride, initially on the lake H:

1608406375301.png

So, next time you're boating the Lake H and run into this USCG vessel ^^^, feel free to wave to your friendly FSO at the helm, lol:
1608406832714.png

Anyway, I congratulate her and wanted to share it here. As some of you know, Kate is a career "G-Woman" (U.S. FDA investigator for almost twenty years), shoo-in for the job as she's seen it all. What's exciting is her new unit, 15-10, is a great group of people - all experienced, avid boaters. It should be a lot of fun!

From my perspective, the way I see it...
The good:
I'm so proud!
She'll become a much better pilot.
We are likely to spend a lot more time on the water.

The bad:
I won't be able to pull any of my shenanigans, anymore, lol... :cool:

--

That's great gig. I know a few folks who really enjoy it here in Ohio.

My Brother in law is a CG Warrant officer in Philly / South Jersey, but he is heading down to command the Islamorada Florida Station in May so they probably wouldn't cross paths.

That is just awsome! Congrats Kate!

Do you know if they have started doing safety inspections again? I wanted to get the 2021 safety inspection sticker, but it appears that's not happening due to COVID restrictions.

Do you know if they have started doing safety inspections again? I wanted to get the 2021 safety inspection sticker, but it appears that's not happening due to COVID restrictions.
They haven't, yet, and no current plan as to when they will resume due to covid restrictions.
But, it's currently snowing here in NJ, so there's little demand right now

--

Last edited:
Good Luck Kate! Putting one's self in harm's way for public service is a noble pursuit!

Is this a side gig type thing, or new career path taking shape?

Our Marina is in front of the Coast Guard Station, in Burlington Harbor. The Coast Guard Aux, did not perform inspections in our area this past year either, but the Vermont State Police did, by appointment, thru the Marina during Covid.

20200711_142417.jpg

The Station is right there. We walk by it to get to our boat.

20201221_071311.jpg

@swatski , good luck to Kate. As far as her assignment to the FDA office in MA...I know that we had visits from some of her co-workers, if not her for years, that swabbed everything in our cheese facility, including the floor drains. They never found what they came looking for, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Good Luck Kate! Putting one's self in harm's way for public service is a noble pursuit!
Is this a side gig type thing, or new career path taking shape?
Strictly side gig, at least for now. The AUX's primary mission is outreach and training to increase recreational boater safety, but also to provide eyes and ears for USCG and PD departments - should something bad happen they are trained to assist active duty colleagues.
The USCG AUX has both air and marine units. Both can use their own craft at the time of need.

Incidentally, our new Parker will be moored inside Port of New York, Arthur Kill channel, one of the busiest inner harbors in the world.

--

Last edited:
@swatski , good luck to Kate. As far as her assignment to the FDA office in MA...I know that we had visits from some of her co-workers, if not her for years, that swabbed everything in our cheese facility, including the floor drains. They never found what they came looking for, and that is a good thing.
When she started, Kate did a lot of feed mill inspections in MO, and small family owned producers such as apple cider makers, before she moved to drugs and medical devices. She was told they always asked for her to be reassigned back for reinspections as she would go out of her way to help smaller producers to navigate through regulatory affairs (magically tilted for the big guys, lol).

--

When she started, Kate did a lot of feed mill inspections in MO, and small family owned producers such as apple cider makers, before she moved to drugs and medical devices. She was told they always asked for her to be reassigned back for reinspections as she would go out of her way to help smaller producers to navigate through regulatory affairs (magically tilted for the big guys, lol).

--

Excuse me, I thought I had read MA before not MO. Ya, the big guys have HACCP plans all written out for them to follow.

Welcome to the other boating family [flag]I left active service in 1991 last station/ship was the USCGC Smilax (black hull fleet) out of St. Simons Island, Ga. I believe she is now out of Charleston. I should have stayed in the reserves would have been retired by now :rolleyes:, but will soon complete 25 years with the State Police and hopefully give back by joining the Auxilary also..Good Luck!
Semper Paratus!
Smilax.png

Nice touch! Kate just got a registration plate holder, along with a welcome note, from her fleet commander.
1614560568447.png

--

We celebrated another milestone - Kate's another test she has passed, her USCG training is very extensive.

We figured Kate could use a pari of binocs - I was told those are USCG standard issue.

Steiner navigator 7x50 binoculars, autofocus with stabilized compass
1619924573382.png
1619924593995.png

--

Last edited:
We celebrated another milestone - Kate's another test she has passed, her USCG training is very extensive.

We figured Kate could use a pari of binocs - I was told those are USCG standard issue.

Steiner navigator 7x50 binoculars, autofocus with stabilized compass
View attachment 148507
View attachment 148508

--

If she can't see your shiney chrome registration numbers from across the Lake with those...LOL. ??‍♀️

Getting ready for her first night patrol, last night.
After weeks of training. Exciting.
1625242498536.png

--

Getting ready for her first night patrol, last night.
After weeks of training. Exciting.
View attachment 155525

--

Captain Obvious wants to point out that she made the "SWAT" team too. :winkingthumbsup"

Sidebar question. Did/does she need to get a captains lisence from the USCG? Thinking about a OUPV-6 pack captains license in the near future.

Last edited:
Captain Obvious wants to point out that she made the "SWAT" team too. :winkingthumbsup"

Sidebar question. Did/does she need to get a captains lisence from the USCG? Thinking about a OUPV-6 pack captains license in the near future.

Not required unless you’re transporting for compensation.

SHe's still being quizzed on portions of the 500+ page manual by her commander, but at this point I believe she's managed to be signed off to roll with the crew.

--

Back