• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member - Old Problems...

TangoSS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys - new member here. I have been in the jet boat game for about 5-6 years now. My boat is a 1999 sugar sand tango 2+2, motor is Mercury 175xr2 sport jet...overall its been a good boat for me (outside of starting issues) but last year at the end of the season it died in the water and I could not get it running again. The boat had no spark at all on all 6 cylinders. After doing some research and some testing it seemed the stator had lost output. I ordered a stator for $260 from my local dealer and when attempting to pull the flywheel I noticed a couple of magnets have separated from the flywheel. Before ordering the $300 flywheel, my question is - has anyone tried epoxying or adhering the magnets back to flywheel? Can it be done and be done correctly? OR should I bite the bullet and buy the new one?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bah, what a mess! I feel ya on that man, but epoxy inside an engine "could" or "should" be fine where the new shaft WILL be fine.

You don't wanna pull it apart twice, I recommend the shaft.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is the cost of a new one? If it were me, I would bite the bullet unless it carries a ridiculous cost. I hate band aids on a toy that I depend on.

TangoSS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Flywheel is $315 new from mercury after I just spent $260 on the stator

So the stator/flywheel replacement will total $575..plus the cost of the puller. $610...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ouch! Still less than a motor but dang thats a lot. Better than being stuck on the water again though.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if it would be practical to swap the engine and pump out of a similar or greater powered jet ski into the Tango?

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
TangoSS , welcome aboard. Yes you can epoxy the magnets back on if they aren't all chewed up. Be sure to clean the area completely and they must go exactly where they were or your timing will be off . Once on centrifical force helps hold them so the epoxy doesn't bear the whole load. What kind of puller costs 610 bucks ? :wideyed:

Bill

TangoSS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bill - Thanks for the input, I appreciate it..

No the puller wasn't $610....the stator,the flywheel, and the puller totaled $610.

I am waiting for the puller to come in, once I get the flywheel completely off I will check the magnets but they look okay.

Have you done one of these before? Any suggestion on epoxy? I was thinking JB Weld...

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Bill - Thanks for the input, I appreciate it..

No the puller wasn't $610....the stator,the flywheel, and the puller totaled $610.

I am waiting for the puller to come in, once I get the flywheel completely off I will check the magnets but they look okay.

Have you done one of these before? Any suggestion on epoxy? I was thinking JB Weld...
I haven't myself, my 240 doesn't have them but my SIL did a couple on a older 240 and they held up. Not sure what he used other than it being 2 part, I would want the strongest stuff I could find. Don't know what Merc used

Bill

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Agreed the magnets coming loose is actually a common issue, Also when needing electronic parts for older boats There is a little known source or there was for quite a number of years.
I haven't checked on this for several years now but believe it or not N A P A auto parts has a parts book called the small engine book. I bet some of the people that work there don't even know about it. However if you ask them to look up stators coils rectifiers and the like you may be surprised to learn they have them available in a warehouse and you can get them in a day . So next time just give it a try .

TangoSS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well here's my update...pulled fly wheel and 3 of the 6 magnets were off. So I completely clean it, looks like new...I epoxy the 3 on and to be honest I was very happy with the out come. Re-install...boat fires right up. Runs for about 2-3 minutes on the trailer and stalls. 2 of the 3 magnets I didn't fix are now off...so off it comes again. I epoxy those back on...re-install. It just won't run...it wants to start..it even pops every now and then...but it seems to grind against the starter when it goes to fire. I'm lost now...possibly out of time? I will upload a video tomorrow. Even if it was slightly out of time I would think it would at least run a little.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe the key is bad or fell out , I have seen a flywheel key bend just a tad and the engine won't run.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would replace the fly wheel completely with a new one, hope that solves the problem and keep trouble shooting from there if it didn't. My motivation would be not to re-experience being dead in the water plus fixing the boat/motor no matter expensive is usually cheaper than replacing it.

Starter now huh? I had two jet boats with Mercury sport jet engines and pumps. (175hp and 240hp), Great when they are running.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Rush
Boat Length
NA
Should the magnets all be taking off and jb welded?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Should the magnets all be taking off and jb welded?
describe your problem and what engine you have probably a 90 or a 120 both were force outboard engines used on a jet drive but called Mercury

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Rush
Boat Length
NA
describe your problem and what engine you have probably a 90 or a 120 both were force outboard engines used on a jet drive but called Mercury
We have a 90hp sports jet Force by mercury engine... All the magnets came off and trying to figure out how to replace them.. someone said JB weld

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
regular slow dry J B weld is known to work or slow curing 2 part epoxy just not the quick dry type

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
clean the inside of the flywheel where they attach and the back of the magnets then apply a thin layer on the flywheel and press the magnets into place making sure you have them in the exact position they belong in

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other