• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member Questions- AR250

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Hey All.

I am new to the site and it’s been great learning from owners. I have been looking at the Yamaha jet boats for a couple years and just came across this site. The family and I will be new to boat ownership hopefully in the spring as we are ready to reserve a 2021 AR250. I have a few questions and looking for some input. Been down the rabbit hole in old threads more than I should admit but its contagious and exciting learning about the pending new purchase. I have grown up with boating through family/friends from 19ft- 35ft so its not completly new. Some questions-

For the first year it will be trailered as the plan is to travel and explore within a 1-5 hr drive radius in WI. 2018 F150 will do the towing. Family of 4.

Any Pros and Cons are welcome.

Color- Black/Green or Yacht Blue/White. Does one show less water spots or dirt? Why do you like one over the other?

Extended Warranty? I’m not one to buy it but its the first boat so...

Thanks!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Had both, black is far worse to keep clean. However looking like my next one will be black as well as the tan interior has not grown on me and we are sticking with a 21' (as I looked at a 250 and they are huge, if storage wasn't a issue this would be a much harder decision). In regards to the extended warranty I would pass, as in my 8 years of owenership I have not had an issue after the initial things were fixed in the first year, however the boats I owned also had gauges and no connext screen. Based on your trailering you may want to upgrade the bias tires to radials as well.

Last edited:

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Black is horrible to keep clean , but if you are trailering and taking it out of the water regularly , there are so many cleaning products out there these days where you can detail the entire boat in minutes instead of hours..my boat is storecon a lift and i only have access to one side while its on the lift , the lower part is black and requires s little extra attention ...Yamaha makes a great product ( im on my second one in 13 years)..you cant go wrong with either color...learn to work both throttles to your advantage when docking along with the no wake mode

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Had both, black is far worse to keep clean. However looking like my next one will be black as well as the tan interior has not grown on me and we are sticking with a 21' (as I looked at a 250 and they are huge, if storage wasn't a issue this would be a much harder decision). In regards to the extended warranty I would pass, as in my 8 years of owenership I have not had an issue after the initial things were fixed in the first year, however the boats I owned also had gauges and no connext screen. Based on your trailering you may want to upgrade the bias tires to radials as well.
good to know about the color and the tires. The wife likes the black and I’m into the blue so we’ll see. Storage is a bit of a concern but we’ll make it work. Ha. I’m in DeForest too!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

JetboatNewb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
@SCP1 how many people sit comfortably in your boat? I'm debating the 212S or the 250 and I've got kids that will both be teenagers very soon.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@SCP1 how many people sit comfortably in your boat? I'm debating the 212S or the 250 and I've got kids that will both be teenagers very soon.
My recommendation is to go look at both. I originally owned a 2012 SX190, then we upgraded to a 2017 AR195 for many reasons, however the only reason we didn't get a 21' then was it wouldn't fit in our garage. We had no intentions of moving however things changed and we now have a bigger garage. The 21' feels huge to the 19' so it's really all perspective, if I could fit the 250 in my garage it would be a much more difficult decision for us. I could tell you 8 and then someone else would say 6, so just go look at both. If it's warm and you are using the bow I wold say 8, if 90% of your boating will be more than that I would lean towards the 250.

Last edited:

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 240 , this past summer i had 10 adults on it , 5 couples , i was the lightest male at 225 lbs ..it was tight ...i had a 2006 21 footer for 12 years and never had more than 8 people on it and it was fine...the new design of the 21 footers gives you more interior space than my old 06. Im 6-3 and can sit with my legs extended in the bow of the new 21 footer which i couldnt do in the 06.. in a few years i might actually go back to a 212 s because i like these 1.8 motors

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just acquired the 252SE. When the sales person had me take a look at the 212S side by side to the 252SE (sneaky tactic - haha), it wasn't even a question. Space is always a premium when you're on the water. Even if you don't have a large party onboard, having space is nice.

If price is not an issue, go with the 250, you'll appreciate the layout a lot more.

JetboatNewb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Just acquired the 252SE. When the sales person had me take a look at the 212S side by side to the 252SE (sneaky tactic - haha), it wasn't even a question. Space is always a premium when you're on the water. Even if you don't have a large party onboard, having space is nice.

If price is not an issue, go with the 250, you'll appreciate the layout a lot more.
The 212s and 250 being so close in price it’s really whether the 21 would work or if the extra space is worth it. I’m honestly just worried about how big it is. Hopefully I’ll feel comfortable with the size on the test ride. If not, there aren’t any other options for sale right now and rumor is preorder boats are all that are getting built right now.

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The 212s and 250 being so close in price it’s really whether the 21 would work or if the extra space is worth it. I’m honestly just worried about how big it is. Hopefully I’ll feel comfortable with the size on the test ride. If not, there aren’t any other options for sale right now and rumor is preorder boats are all that are getting built right now.
Yeah that’s right. Prices are very close between those two. Yes, the 250 is a big compared to the 212, so here are the additional caveats. I’m sticking to my recommendation, that space is always a worthwhile premium to have. You’re not getting anything in the 212S that is exceptional compared to the 250, so that is almost a wash. If storage isn’t an issue, bigger is great! Your teens will thank you for the 250. I have four kiddos! My two teens alone are the ones who love the space and the idea of inviting their friends! Last thing, I’m a believer in warranties if you have money to burn for additional protection. Both, the dealer and I agree, my boat seems rushed. Some non mechanical warrantable flaws observed. Once you have a couple of small items, more could always be discovered over time, so it becomes a matter of peace of mind v. risk. One word of advice, BUY it direct from Yamaha Financial. Dealers mark up the warranty $500 to $750!!!

Best of luck! Owning is a life changer in so many positive ways!

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same dilemma... once I looked at them side by side and walked around both. AR250 Black/Green was a no brainer for me. You always always buy bigger if you can - 2nd boat first mentality. Boats look big on the trailer but shrink in the water - I had a 210 SunRunner i/o for years - always wished it was bigger. Even if you only run 4 in the boat consistently you will love the extra space for everyone on a full day on the water - and having room for EIGHT (8) more. Plus you get the head on the 250 - that alone is worth the extra space. The price difference is negligible - so for me it was size/space/head - and resale value. I firmly believe the 240/250's will always fetch a premium if you want/need to sell down the road. My 2 cents.

socalyamahafanar250

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2021 AR250 (Blue/White) and love it. I am a bit of a sucker for blue .. YAS Marina Blue M4 is my daily driver. I don't think it shows dirt much but frankly we are not that particular with 3 kids and 3 dogs. You will love the boat.
That said, if its your first boat, take time to learn how to back up...its quite long on the trailer... I love the "swing away" tongue for storage but its not a small boat so make sure you spend time learning before you goto the boat ramp the first time..