• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New member seeking advice

Daveaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi All,

I currently live in Australia and have been viewing a Yamaha 232 limited s, we do not have many of them here in oz so was hoping to get some advice.

Are there any common faults with the boats I should be aware of? Any particular area I should be looking at when viewing the boat? It has 130 hours, what is the life expectancy of the engines? The dealer is not offering a warranty with the boat, this concerns me quite a bit.

Any other thoughts on the boat to help with my decision would be great. We only have 1 dealer who supplies the boats in oz.

Thanks Dave

Life expectancy is huge. Some have reported over 1000 hours on motors.
Just take for a test drive and go over everything like any other boat and hit us up with any specific questions.

Welcome aboard @Daveaddy. These boats are very reliable however, they are not meant to be kept in salt water for extended periods of time. A few days to a week at most at a time. The engines also require a flush with a solution of some sort of salt eliminator like Salt Away and fresh water after each use.

In looking over the boat, general condition of the boat will tell you if the previous owner took proper care of it. Look for dings and scratches in the fiberglass hull. Check the seats carefully for wear, cuts and holes. Also open the bimini and make sure there are no holes, rips or a bent or damaged frame. I would also put the throttle levers in forward, go to the back of the boat, on the ground, reach into the jet nozzles and feel the impeller blades to see if there are any nicks or damage. There are 3 blades on each impeller for each engine. Check the anodes for wear while you are there. Look closely in the engine compartment. Is it clean? Are there any signs of water such as rust on the hose clamps or a water line on the inside walls of the compartment which may indicate the boat may have taken on water at some point? Check the oil on each engine. Is it clean, proper level and not milkey?

Carefully look over the trailer. I'm assuming it's a galvanized trailer for salt water use? Check for rust, tire condition and condition of the carpeted bunk boards. I would walk on them to make sure they're not rotted under the carpet. Also check the winch and winch strap. It would be easier to check thè trailer when the boat is in the water.

Is this dealer an authorized Yamaha dealer or is there one near you where you can get parts and service if you need it? It's a little surprising the dealer won't give any warranty. Are they not confident it is a good boat? If these are not common boats in your area they may be willing to give you a good deal to get it off their lot. How long have they had it? Take a lot of pictures and post any here that are a concern to you. You can also post questions while looking at the boat. Hopefully someone will be online to respond.

A test ride will give you more information. After running at slow speed for awhile run it up, quickly to full throttle and make sure it makes the transition to full speed without stumbling. Check all running components like the "no wake" system, lights, horn, blower (blower should be run for several minutes before starting the engines). Run the radio before or after your test ride so it doesn't mask any boat sounds or issues.

These boats are much easier to maintain than most. This forum is a great support system for the few issues that may arise. Keep us in the loop during your inspection of the boat. One more thing...If this dealer is not a Yamaha dealer it is very likely he is not familiar with operating this boat. Make sure the clean out plugs (under the rear hatch on the swim deck) come out easily and are properly installed and latched. This should be done prior to launching the boat for the test ride. If they are difficult or impossible to remove that would be a concern but not necessarily a deal killer.

Last edited:
Most important....take it for a trial run in the conditions you expect to use it in most. Mechanically these boats are easy to maintain on your own.

Thanks everyone for the info, We would be using the boat in salt water hopefully once a week / fortnight. It would then be lifted out and stored at home, so we could flush and wash it all down there. The hull is in great condition we couldn't see any signs of damage to it at all, the seats have a few tears in them but nothing substantial. We checked the impeller blades and one of them has a few dings in it, the dealer said he would stick them through a machine to get rid of them. Inside the engine bay hadn't been cleaned, small amount of water was in there not sure where that came from, majority of the hose clamps had quite a lot of rust of them, probably from the salt water.

The trailer looked in great condition, but as stated best to check when the boat is in the water. I will get the results from the diagnostic report and post on here to get some feedback.

Thanks again all really appreciate the help

Torn seats are surprising to me. I believe you posted in your other thread that the hours were rather low.

The impellers are around $250 USD each and I believe the wear rings are around $200 each. I would not be surprised if they are more expensive down under. Although you might be able to get a better deal on Solas parts from Japan. The impellers have to be very precisely maintained. The dealer may machine a lot of impellers but if they do not it is unlikely that they will be able to optimize performance from them.

How much is the dealer asking?

It has 130 hours on it, the seats just have a few small tears nothing major. I'll have a look at the impellers from Japan, to gain an idea on the cost. The dealer is asking for $48k

wait, what year model?

@MattFX4, that is $37,426 USD. @Daveaddy is from Australia. Yamahas are rare and expensive down there. On the positive side he can have Morton Bay Bugs and under twelve prawns on his barbie any time he wants!

Is $48k a premium price in the local market? In the US I would expect a 230/232 with damaged seats to sell for thousands less than a quality example. I would guess that my 230 has 200+ hours on her and the seats look like new.

@Bruce Ahh, I saw $ and assumed USD. Sounds more reasonable since they are rare

What are they going for in the U.S? He also has a 242 for $90k. Does seem a bit pricey but they are very rare here in oz. for a 23ft boat the price is quite competitive in the market too.

@Daveaddy If you do buy the 232, there are some good posts here about replacing the clamps with stainless steel. A boat owner here had a big issue with a rusted out clamp I believe. I'd definitely take it for a test drive and see how the motors sound and what the top speed is.

Is this her? If so, she looks pretty good.

Based on condition I would expect her to sell for mid 20s in the US. Compared to that 2014 242 for $90k she is a steal!

Thanks Noko,

Yes that is the boat Bruce, the 242 is nice but way out of my price range

Thanks Noko,

Yes that is the boat Bruce, the 242 is nice but way out of my price range

My opinion which I have some video to support is that the 230 handles rough water better than the first generation (pre 2015) 240.

Back