• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just joined jetboaters.net! Been looking into getting a yamaha jet boat. Do these boats serve well as family and fishing boats? I would guess it would be a 50/50 split. Would like to use the boat for fun at the lakes and then go into the local inlets and bays for some saltwater fishing and crusing. Also, I would like to buy my 2nd boat first, but have a toyota tacoma 2wd and worried about towing the boat and pulling it out of the water. Anybody use a 2wd tacoma to tow their boat around? Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a 2012 taco and heavy 21ft Reinell and truck did fine...I know some people would stop and watch but I always got the Reinell out of the water no problem....I agree though I don't think it would be to practical for a lot of fishing...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum! These are great boats for family fun and okay boats for fishing. I've taken mine fishing several times. I have the wakeboard tower so I can fish two people at a time. Usually me and my son go fishing and one of us will fish off the bow and the other off the swim platform. I guess technically I could fish two off the swim platform and one off the bow. Never tried it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is how my family fishes from our 230

And how Out On The Reef fishes from his

Our Yamaha's with exception of the FSH were not designed for fishing but the swim deck makes and excellent location for two people to fish.

I beleive Yamaha realeased some images of four people fishing in a FSH. That could be done. It issued our well for its size.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like the video @Bruce . Got the wife hooked to try and make Bimini in the near future. Can't wait.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Rainmakr glad to have you. I have a Tacoma Prerunner Double cab with a V6 that will pull my AR210. However, I know it's back there and we have some pretty steep hills around and the Tacoma struggles. It I'd imagine that a 19'er would pull much better. That's provided that you're Tacoma is a V6. Another factor would be the braking. My double axle trailer has brakes on one axle and I'm not sure if the 19'er would have trailer brakes.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just joined jetboaters.net! Been looking into getting a yamaha jet boat. Do these boats serve well as family and fishing boats? I would guess it would be a 50/50 split. Would like to use the boat for fun at the lakes and then go into the local inlets and bays for some saltwater fishing and crusing. Also, I would like to buy my 2nd boat first, but have a toyota tacoma 2wd and worried about towing the boat and pulling it out of the water. Anybody use a 2wd tacoma to tow their boat around? Thanks!
I think these boats are great family and fishing boats! Below is my thread for how I have converted my SX190 to a fishing boat.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fishing-boat-addons.12250/#post-231196

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Rainmakr glad to have you. I have a Tacoma Prerunner Double cab with a V6 that will pull my AR210. However, I know it's back there and we have some pretty steep hills around and the Tacoma struggles. It I'd imagine that a 19'er would pull much better. That's provided that you're Tacoma is a V6. Another factor would be the braking. My double axle trailer has brakes on one axle and I'm not sure if the 19'er would have trailer brakes.
Thanks for providing info on the tacoma. My tacoma is the V6 TRD Sport. Good point about the trailer brakes. I would bet that the 19 foot would not have brakes.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would agree that unless you get the new center console versions they aren't great for fishing. Add fins of one sort or another as well and learn to drive without having too much throttle. I actually have my boat to slowly creep forward at idle which annoys some people that have it from the factory but I love it that way because otherwise there is jet wash. Especially with fishing you would scare the fish away with jet wash and all the bubbles popping. I have been underwater as jet boats pull away slowly and it's NOISY not from the pump itself but from the jet wash on the surface. A prop boat would do the exact same thing if it was trimmed up at all, which is what you would need to do in the shallows so take it for what it's worth! Also depends on the type of fishing you do.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for providing info on the tacoma. My tacoma is the V6 TRD Sport. Good point about the trailer brakes. I would bet that the 19 foot would not have brakes.
Welcome aboard! The 190's don't usually have trailer brakes, but the 192/195's do have surge brakes.