• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member!

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey everyone! My name is Chris and I am from Winona, Minnesota. I am trading in my Sea Doo Challenger X20 for a brand new 2019 Yamaha 242X E-Series. I've been on jet boats/PWC's all my life, and am excited for the new Yamaha! I go out on the Mississippi River and I don't think I'd ever run any other type of boat other than jet with all the wing dams that are out there. It allows me to discover the backwaters with running anything.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, hints on getting the most out of my Yamaha 242X, please share!

Thanks!

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Welcome! Fellow mid-west boy here (WI) - what's a "wing dam?"

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A wing dam is a man made barrier (rocks) that only extends partway into a river. These structures force water into a fast-moving center channel which reduces the rate of sediment accumulation, while slowing water flow near the riverbanks.

I've had buddies on mine have their prop ripped off by these causing them $4000 in damage. Jet boat is the way to go in my opinion!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A wing dam is a man made barrier (rocks) that only extends partway into a river. These structures force water into a fast-moving center channel which reduces the rate of sediment accumulation, while slowing water flow near the riverbanks.

I've had buddies on mine have their prop ripped off by these causing them $4000 in damage. Jet boat is the way to go in my opinion!
That sounds like the worst invention ever.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome: to the forum! Lots of good people here and tons of great info. Share pics often. We all love pics. Thanks for joining.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase! I grew up in MN (Bloomington) and boated growing up. I've lived in southern CA for years and thank God for the lakes in the local San Bernardino mountains (1.5 hours from my house) that remind me of MN that I can access. I finally pulled the triigger on a 2017 242 LTD S a few months ago and cant wait to get it out on the water for the first time!
There are TONS of great tips you can search and lots of helpful people on the forum that will help you get the most out of your boat, limit the headaches, and make your days of boating more fun and safe!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Check the alignment of the jet nozzles. The surfepoint aims both nozzles in a bit. We have seen some any where from 7/16" to 3/4" in. I found that mine was miss matched at full lock turn one would be almost straight and the other would be turned like you would expect. This made turning a PIA and slow. We ended up getting rid op the SP and set the alignment straight. We picked up a higher top speed and better MPG. But every boat is a bit different. If you do ditch the SP and like low/high speed sharper turns look at the www.cobrajetsteering.com from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . Even tho you got a wake package boat it still leaves a lot of need for added parts to do it well. You are going to need the Yamaha WakeBooster or the Wake Wedge for Yamaha Jet Boats from @jcyamaharider . Make a foam gasket for the engine hatch it helps a ton with the sound. Check the radio L &R sound quality. Balance to the right and make sure the right boat cockpit and right tower speakers play then check the left. Some boats have been wired different and some have had the DSP on the amps programmed wrong. Issue are the right boat and left tower / left boat and right tower play together giving a poor mono sound. If this is a issue there is some fixes from dealer or Wetsounds. Adjust your radio settings on the Fusion there are more features that are not listed on the Connext screen. Also download the Fusion app. Best I have found is Bass @ 90% Mid @ 50% and Treble @ 2-3 clicks up from the center (flat).

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the group and congratulations on the new whip! The 242x is awesome.
83iPA8P.gif

Shoot me a message if you want some suggestions and discounts in boards and gear. I can always offer better pricing thru private than what I can list publicly online via discount codes. Always happy to hook up fellow jetboaters. 🤙

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase! I grew up in MN (Bloomington) and boated growing up. I've lived in southern CA for years and thank God for the lakes in the local San Bernardino mountains (1.5 hours from my house) that remind me of MN that I can access. I finally pulled the triigger on a 2017 242 LTD S a few months ago and cant wait to get it out on the water for the first time!
There are TONS of great tips you can search and lots of helpful people on the forum that will help you get the most out of your boat, limit the headaches, and make your days of boating more fun and safe!
Awesome! I'm itching for warm weather.

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the group and congratulations on the new whip! The 242x is awesome.
View attachment 112465

Shoot me a message if you want some suggestions and discounts in boards and gear. I can always offer better pricing thru private than what I can list publicly online via discount codes. Always happy to hook up fellow jetboaters. 🤙
Once the warmer weather comes around here, I will be hitting you up for a wakesurf board. I've never done it, but it looks fun!

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check the alignment of the jet nozzles. The surfepoint aims both nozzles in a bit. We have seen some any where from 7/16" to 3/4" in. I found that mine was miss matched at full lock turn one would be almost straight and the other would be turned like you would expect. This made turning a PIA and slow. We ended up getting rid op the SP and set the alignment straight. We picked up a higher top speed and better MPG. But every boat is a bit different. If you do ditch the SP and like low/high speed sharper turns look at the www.cobrajetsteering.com from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . Even tho you got a wake package boat it still leaves a lot of need for added parts to do it well. You are going to need the Yamaha WakeBooster or the Wake Wedge for Yamaha Jet Boats from @jcyamaharider . Make a foam gasket for the engine hatch it helps a ton with the sound. Check the radio L &R sound quality. Balance to the right and make sure the right boat cockpit and right tower speakers play then check the left. Some boats have been wired different and some have had the DSP on the amps programmed wrong. Issue are the right boat and left tower / left boat and right tower play together giving a poor mono sound. If this is a issue there is some fixes from dealer or Wetsounds. Adjust your radio settings on the Fusion there are more features that are not listed on the Connext screen. Also download the Fusion app. Best I have found is Bass @ 90% Mid @ 50% and Treble @ 2-3 clicks up from the center (flat).
Thanks for all the tips!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome!!! Wow... an awesome upgrade.. you will LOVE your Yamaha!:Welcome:

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yes, and no. Sucks for boaters, but allows the river to run smoother as well to not have washed out shorelines.
Don’t forget about the awesome fish habitat wing dams and closing dams create!!!
Welcome aboard from a Pool 9 boater!

chrisjacobson18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don’t forget about the awesome fish habitat wing dams and closing dams create!!!
I don’t do much fishing, but my buddy loves to and he is going to love fishing off the back of the boat.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hey everyone! My name is Chris and I am from Winona, Minnesota. I am trading in my Sea Doo Challenger X20 for a brand new 2019 Yamaha 242X E-Series. I've been on jet boats/PWC's all my life, and am excited for the new Yamaha! I go out on the Mississippi River and I don't think I'd ever run any other type of boat other than jet with all the wing dams that are out there. It allows me to discover the backwaters with running anything.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, hints on getting the most out of my Yamaha 242X, please share!

Thanks!
Welcome! That's quite an upgrade. Congrats.

BigJ

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to know where this little piece of heaven is! Your profile pic..

BigJ

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. It will be awesome when the Ice finally leaves in June!