• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Oil Change Method on the Yamaha ?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So was looking at videos on YouTube and came across this guy. He has a Yamaha 242 and posted a video on how he changes the oil. He does not use a pump. He pulls the lanyard, then removes the oil filter. He then turns the engine over in 15 second intervals. Dude got 3 1/2 quarts of oil out!

Of course, this comes with oil going into the engine bay and out of the bilge. I'd be using a lot of Dawn to get the oil cleaned up. Not sure if it's good to turn the engine over like this with the oil draining out either, but I'm not sure.

Not saying I'm gonna use this method, but anyone else heard of this?

ADDED: I just read the notes on this gentleman's video. He said his local Yamaha dealer recommended this way to change his oil.

Last edited:

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I almost always got 3-3.5 qrts of oil out of each engine. Just need to warm it up, and make sure your hose down in there. and I moved it around as well to make sure i got as much as I could

I didn't use his method. I'm not a fan of bumping the engine...

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
on 2nd thought .... this guy is a fool..he's making a mess of something that is much simpler and cleaner. Get a good oil extractor and it's clean, simple and easy.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I almost always got 3-3.5 qrts of oil out of each engine. Just need to warm it up, and make sure your hose down in there. and I moved it around as well to make sure i got as much as I could

I didn't use his method. I'm not a fan of bumping the engine...
I usually hover around the 2.5 quarts.

Check this out. I just read his notes on the video. He said the local Yamaha dealer recommended this method.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If a dealer did that for an oil change on my boat, I would demand a refund, a letter stating they are responsible for any internal damage, and never go back.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use an electric fuel pump with a long thin rigid plastic hose into the dipstick tube, I also use a level on the top of the engine to be sure the engine is level or slightly tilted forward if it is tilted backward you won't get all the oil out.
I run a soft hose to a catch bottle that is calibrated so I know exactly what I removed, I replace that amount and change the filter then add a little extra for the filter. I place an absorbent mat under the filter during the removal.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff, why not leaning backward? My boat is tilted back as it sits in my driveway and i routinely get 3.5l from each. Would i get more tilted fwd? I set my oil level on the water to be perfect then, during a change, refill to whatever the dipstick said before, making it independent of boat angle. I made a mess with the absorbent pads but did better with a zip lock bag. Cam
Ps i wish i had a pella 7000 as my 6000 doesn't hold enough.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was referring to the 1800 engine you have a mr1 .