• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new owner 18 ar240 what to do first

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sold my 98 MasterCraft sportstar , needed more room and wow did we go big with a 18 AR240. Any must do's or wish I would of at the beginning things I need to do? Break in period is going to be tough and I hope the twins don't disappoint as I already miss the V8 burble lol
Do you use the transport cover during trailering to say on a 30 minute drive to lake? Seems like most of my uh oh moments have been from transport. Also Thinking of taking her to Destin,FL in a week and half. Any tips other then using the engine flush ports and cleaning for the salt?
Can't wait to make that Bimini trip

Attachments

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats.
I’d suggest the cobra steering upgrade. Reinforce that tie rod. I also have become fond of the seadek upgrades from jetboatpilot. I ordered all the pieces. Congrats on the new boat. I love/hate/love mine. 18 242x.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats.
I’d suggest the cobra steering upgrade. Reinforce that tie rod. I also have become fond of the seadek upgrades from jetboatpilot. I ordered all the pieces. Congrats on the new boat. I love/hate/love mine. 18 242x.
I'd agree with NORCAL on this as I have the same upgrades and add that you should drive without a cover for such a short distance and of course do not leave your bimini up while driving. I'd also put a charger on both batteries just to be sure they are topped off prior to launch. A new battery from the dealer could have been sitting there for months and I don't like asking the charging system to do heavy lifting like a partially drained battery(s).
You'll ALWAYS miss the V8 sound, that will never change. But you are in store for a nice treat when you get on-plane with the twins and they are RPM matched and they harmonize. It's just as satisfying, maybe more satisfying. The break-in period is over in a few days and be sure to swap out that oil afterwards. Then it's play time!
As far as salt water, get Salt-Away into the engine and all over the exterior drives asap after pulling out. Also, I'd be sure to spray a fogging oil on both engines prior to launch. Other than that you're good to go.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree on the mod recommendations above. This video might be helpful as you make the switch from prop burble to jet whine:

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stoltz bow roller, AK Magnum fins, duel bank smart charger, seadek, stereo. Search for my 17' ar240, I have pictures and details of all my mods to help you out

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see several people mention steering fins but I would suggest several outings on the water without them first. Are they a nice upgrade? Absolutely! However, with a little practice many people can learn to overcome the slow speed challenges without adding them especially with the articulating keel on the newer boats.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any must do's or wish I would of at the beginning things I need to do?
If it is not too late, put a good coat of wax on her before you dunk her, she will thank you later.
Ideally, cleaner wax. These hulls/gelcoat are dirty and "thirsty" from factory, at first.
Good wax will slow growth on the hull.

--

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Be aware that the documentation on the bilge pump is not up to date. Although there is a switch on the dash, the pump is always on, direct wired to the battery, skipping the battery power switches. You should only turn the switch on the dash on to test the pump, and then turn it back off.

To confirm this, there's a test switch on the side of the bilge pump. With all switches off, press and hold that switch, the pump will cycle.

Enjoy your new toy!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase.
Upgrades aside I’d make sure the boat is watertight first, check the cleanout port tray is sealed properly and check the anchor locker drain hole, these are known problem areas. Also the engine insulation, a can of 3M spray adhesive should fix it.
Not wanting to sound like a party pooper but these are known common issues.
This forum is a great source of information and there’s plenty of reference if you get stuck, after that, just throw in a little fun, sun and happiness :winkingthumbsup"