• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner 2018 165g

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hello , new to the forum and the jetboat community. Have a few questions about carrying extra fuel in the rear storage and fuel meter sticking on full. I have a 2018 165g and I absolutely love it. Have 42 hrs on the motor and lately I'm noticing the fuel meter staying on full bars when I know it's not. I fill up on every trip but I'm out riding for 4 plus hours at times and the meter still reads full bars. Has anyone tried to store a 5 gallon gas tank in the rear storage ? I still have a 5 gallon can from my jetski and it fits perfectly back there. My plan was to strap it in and use for long trips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You should be ok as the rear storage is vented. The issue with the stuck gauge may be a stuck or faulty fuel sending unit/level sensor. Check your connections for corrosion first.

Hello , new to the forum and the jetboat community. Have a few questions about carrying extra fuel in the rear storage and fuel meter sticking on full. I have a 2018 165g and I absolutely love it. Have 42 hrs on the motor and lately I'm noticing the fuel meter staying on full bars when I know it's not. I fill up on every trip but I'm out riding for 4 plus hours at times and the meter still reads full bars. Has anyone tried to store a 5 gallon gas tank in the rear storage ? I still have a 5 gallon can from my jetski and it fits perfectly back there. My plan was to strap it in and use for long trips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Is that something that's covered under warranty? I have the extended warranty for 3 years.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I've had this problem for years. No warranty for me. I finally found a mod that worked but it was a pain. Definitely use that warranty to get this fixed.

But I'll warn you, most of the "fixes" I've seen applied by dealers didn't solve any problem. Hopefully they do. Good luck.

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If it's possible to do myself I will. My dealer is back logged for weeks. What did you do as a work around?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you get brave, the sending unit is screwed into the fuel tank. If its the same as ive seen on other boats, it operates on a float. You can put a meter on the connector that attaches to it, and have someone move the float. It should change the resistance on the meter throughout the range.

There should be an access cover on your deck. Its round.

pumpsending.jpg

If it's possible to do myself I will. My dealer is back logged for weeks. What did you do as a work around?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'll add, the access is beneath the middle seat on the 165. 6 screws.

The issue is what you need to do to solve it. Dealers have told me to replace the sender, change the orientation, etc. Nothing fixed it. I changed the float for a new one, it was identical in length and didn't solve anything.

The problem is complex and depends on various factors. The slight differences in the float arm length, angle it's bent and even the float friction as it spins around on the arm. I've tried it all, and it still got stuck. Some don't seem to have this issue and I'm unsure why.

But the permanent fix I came up with would definitely void any warranty on the sender. It requires you to pull it entirely out of the tank, then you add two new bends to the float arm using a vice and pliers. By doing this, you change the arm length making it shorter.

I did a lot of measurements before doing this to ensure the radial movement remains close to the same otherwise your fuel gauge would measure differently. After the bends, it's very close to factory defaults but will be shorter. It will stay full for slightly longer before you start seeing the fuel drop on your gauge but the accuracy afterward will be good. I'll post some pics.

But this is fuel, make sure you're comfortable voiding your warranty and note the risks involved. No flames, ignition sources around etc.

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'll tackle it after giving the dealer a try 1st since it's still under warranty. Minewhile I'm just being mindful travel distance and time on the water. Plus I'll put in the 5 gallon tank in the rear storage to be on the safe side.

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Is there a parts reference list that I can look up before ordering parts?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Usually epc.brp.com

But the sender seems to not be broken down into parts there. Probably coming from somewhere else. I never bother to look it up. Maybe ScarabMike knows.

Rxhealer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm probably not navigating the site properly but I don't see any listing for scarab 165 g on the site.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You need your engine model number. It's on a sticker on your engine. Mine was located under TWO plastic covers on the top. I had to remove both to see it. They just pop off. Once you have that:

Select
Rotax JPS

Then

AA=2014, AB=2015 etc. Corresponds to the last letters of your engine model number. Mine is AAA so I'm not sure if it's the first two or the last two.

Then

HP

Then

Type