• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner of a 2007 ar230

Coclouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So first off I have to say thank you for the posts about removing stuck clean out plugs! It took me a few days, but with some pb blaster, ice, some rope and a floor jack I was able to pull them! Now that they are rebuilt, greased and the ports are clean they go in and out like butter. Super excited about taking it out for the first time tomorrow, but also a little nervous! I've only been out a few times on an IO and am still a beginner. Any beginner tips from the veterans? I do have to say that I like the way that people look as they drive by checking it out sitting in my driveway though.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So first off I have to say thank you for the posts about removing stuck clean out plugs! It took me a few days, but with some pb blaster, ice, some rope and a floor jack I was able to pull them! Now that they are rebuilt, greased and the ports are clean they go in and out like butter. Super excited about taking it out for the first time tomorrow, but also a little nervous! I've only been out a few times on an IO and am still a beginner. Any beginner tips from the veterans? I do have to say that I like the way that people look as they drive by checking it out sitting in my driveway though.
Welcome aboard @Coclouse and congrats on the new to you boat. My best advice would be to go out on a weekday, without company, when the boat ramp will be a little less busy. Have your boat already to launch before arriving at the ramp. By that I mean having started both engines in your yard, cleanout and bilge plugs installed, lines and fenders attached to the boat, keys and lanyard installed and all gear in the boat. When you get to the ramp the only thing you should have to do is remove the stern straps. Be careful backing down the ramp if your not used to backing a trailer.

Coming back in lines and fenders ready to dock. Approach the dock very slowly by alternately going from neutral to forward. Most importantly...HAVE FUN.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep, the rest of your summer is going to be extremely fun @Coclouse

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with both of the above comments. As Gym said, choose a not so busy day at a not to busy ramp. Only bring folks who will helping with the launch and retrieve. Go slow around solid, immovable objects. Practice pulling up to something using a fender (no line attached) out in the water. Floating buoys and "no wake signs" work too. They work better as they are anchored. Just go slow and practice standing turns with split throttles, and you will see how she handles in short time. Good Luck.

Reactions: Gym

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!! Any pictures? We love pictures (also proves you have a boat :)) Practice, practice, practice. Great info here.

When I first got into boating, I picked the trailer first (from a different place) and practiced backing it into my garage over and over to get the hang of it and how it reacted. Frustrating at first but got easier every time. When I picked up the boat, the learning curve was much shorter. Don't be too hard on yourself; we've all been there. Enjoy...

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you get a can of silicone spray and spray the trailer bunks, the boat will slide in and out of the trailer much more easily.

Doesn't have to be today, but it really helps.

I like to rope my boat on the trailer. It's slow and controlled. The trailer for your boat is not very forgiving when retrieving because the 2 middle bunks are really close together. Don't be dissuaded if you don't hit it perfect the first time, regardless of how you retrieve.

Do you know how to use an anchor properly? Be sure you have one and watch a YouTube video or two on it. It's easy but work well when done correctly. It's emergency equipment.

For safety we always prepare for the boat to not start... This means you do not undock or raise anchor until AFTER the boat has started. And we power down only after the anchor is secure, or boat is tied to the dock. The boat almost always start, but if it doesn't, you are not in a very bad place by being untied and drifting. This is almost never ever relevant... Except when it is.

Take it easy. The boat will scratch and wear. And you will live.

When docking use a spring line if there is a Lot of wind. Tie the middle cleat on the boat to the dock with some room still available in front and give it the tiniest bit of forward momentum and aim the wheel between straight to "away from the dock", and the boat will "spring" into place.

Learn how to tie the rope to the cleats. YouTube will help. A single loop is fine for easy untieing, but the correct knot is critical. Very easy, just look it up and practice it before you go.

Have Fun!!!!

If the boat seems squirrelly give it a little gas. It drives quite straight at 3000 rpm or so. But slower you have to feel the boat and micro correct. Until you feel it...(may take 5 minutes total to learn) the boat will seem to drive on its own mocking you and causing you fear and thoughts of possessed boat. (Kidding only a little) be prepared and just go with the flow. It's like the first few steps of dancing or walking before you learn. Ackward and ugly :)

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For yourself and others with you. Watch for cleats at the dock. Stubbing your toe on a cleat is undescribable painful, and the cleats usually develop a patina that makes then y match the dock and become invisible. It must the the effect of the blood of all those toes :)

Anyway, watch out for cleats.

Lock the windshield window, either open with the strap or closed, so it does not open/close accidentally when hitting a wake. Always close and lock the windshield middle window while trailering, so the wind will not blow away your cushions.

Don't let the ramp be the first place you back up the trailer (unless your are already expert on other trailers) mall parking lot, etc, practice a bit. Our trailers are long so they are forgiving, but trailering on reverse requires foresight in limited room, as the trailer and boat move together. Smooth and soft turns make it easy. You can't make the trailer go hard right and immediately after make it go hard left, the car needs to move too... Practice will make it easy.

Have fun!!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With regard to launching/retrieving your boat @Coclouse. You have the same generation boat as me 2006 SX230. When backing the trailer in just go deep enough for the top of the trailer fenders to be just at the top of the water or 1 inch above the water. That way the center bunk boards will grab the keel of your boat when retrieving.

Coclouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the insight! I am pretty proficient with a trailer, so no worries there. Just a little worried about getting it to the dock and onto the trailer. With my old io boat I had issues and that made me not want to go out. (I had the boat for a year and only took it out 5 times). I really want to be better with this one as my kids love to be out in the water! 20190713_171056.jpg20190713_201324.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No reason to suffer while retrieving. If you ever feel you want to do it by hand, here is my fool proof method... Back trailer into ramp after pulling silicone in bunks... Rope on bow and helper on the dock with rope on test cleat. Water shoes on. Push boat off dock, and walk with bow rope to the winch. Pull on rope and use rear cleat and or push to center boat. Pull on front until boat is on the trailer, and winch it up. Takes 3 minutes tops. And with silicone in the bunks the boat pulls up easy.

As stated above by another poster you want the bunks to be barely visible above the water. That's the sweet spot.

If you pull it up by hand, slowly, you can't miss. And if you do, back it up and try again.

I don't trailer much, but with this method, I am still faster than 90% of the boaters at my ramp. And I don't aim for speed.aim for Safety and consistency. If it takes 6 minutes instead of 3 is no big deal. If it takes 20 minutes there is room for improvement.

Rope it in for a very safe bet. With the water shoes on you are already on the water and can grab the boat and move it as needed. Just watch your footing and don't slip. The dock is SLICK!

• Agree

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To get it off easy easy...(silicone the bunks helps :) )

With boat wet but boat winch still reachable undo winch and chain. If boat slips out here you should still be safe. If not, you need to go further in. Boat can slip back at any time when not tied, so don't untie too early!

Helpers holding ropes to boat.... Back it in further. When you have a good foot left to go slam on the breaks hard, and the boat will slide away... Piece of cake. If not.. Do one more time. By now if the boat has not slipped away something is stuck well... Time to try again (making sure you went over your checklist and the stern tie downs are not keeping the boat on the trailer) so up the ramp a foot or 3, reverse with gusto and hard brake. Rinse and repeat. Success is assured.

Make sure helpers understand their mission.. Hold boat from drifting away, and gently tie to dock. Practice makes perfect, and gives you confidence. You can do it!

Coclouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the maiden voyage went really well, until it didn't... I was doing ok getting it to the dock, learning to use reverse to straighten out, got on the trailer... until my winch wouldn't work. As soon as it got tension on it, the handle started to slip. Luckily I had a buddy with me that is a seasoned boater, but I still ended up with the nose a good 8-12 inches from the wheel. It was a slow bumpy drive home! So I'm off to Amazon land to order a new winch. P.s. don't judge me for my lawn, it's been either raining or 105* here lol.15637513317992149692712810590092.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You're not asking, but since you are looking, consider winch Ful142125 from Fulton. It's a 2 speed beast with simple open gears and lots of power. I got it recently as an upgrade and I'm very happy with it.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did the handle actually strip? Your winch looks fairly new.

Coclouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes stripped. The trailer is like brand new, the boat was in a slip, I'm not sure if it had been used since they brought the boat home. I tried to tighten the nut, but it didn't help. I just ordered a 3200lb from Amazon, looking at the one on my trailer now it says 1500lb. Not sure if it was too much weight or if it was messed up before I got it.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's why I asked. That seems to be the weak point on most winches.