• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Scarab 165ID owner ...having problems already

Krokoscarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi, My name is Dan and I am new to jetboats. I have just purchased Scarab HO 165 ID 2018 with 40 hours on the clock. I had it on the water about 10 times now. Never a problem, except last time I was out the boat would not start initially...three attempts and it went finally. Today, after about three weeks of sitting in the storage the boat would not start again...battery is full, gauges work, fuel pump is making noise, but no starter when you turn the key. I checked the fuses, connections etc. All seem fine. I put two cables to the starter contacts directly from a battery to test the starter... no sound or movement. Does it pretty much mean the starter died? I am also amazed to see the starter just hanging on the bottom of the motor, where the water always swooshing around... any pointers or anything else I should check before buying a new starter? The boat out of warranty, so I will be working on it myself more likely. Thank you for any info. Dan

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, 165 owner. Now have 145h, fourth season and do my own maintenance (i.e. feel free to ask me any questions, more than willing to help you out).

The "classic" won't even try to start and "sometimes does, sometimes doesn't" are classic symptoms of a faulty relay (or two). Behind your battery is a fuse box. Inside of it are TWO relays. When these relays are faulty (often caused by battery connections... make sure your master switch is off when connecting the battery and be careful with the polarity.... but can also just fail sometimes) the engine won't start at all or not start consistently. I would get 3. That will allow you to replace one or both of the ones you have right now and have a spare (or two if only one is currently faulty). You should keep a spare or two of these in your boat in case.

Details can be found here. BRP dealers can get these for you. Make sure to install them in the same orientation you pulled the old ones out.

Krokoscarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thank you all. I checked the starter by jumper cable it, it cranks fine, solenoid switches, all fuses are fine. Leads me to believe it is a relay. How to know if one is faulty? I tried to switch them between the two (they seem identical) and no avail. The gauges do sweep but no start...classic sympthoms. The link on the relays shows them being outta stock. Would places like Autozone have them?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm in Canada, so no idea on autozone (don't have those here). But like I said, any BRP/Can-Am dealer will have or can order these. No such dealer around? Otherwise you'll need to look online.

There are ways to check relays, just google "How to test a relay omron". I can pretty much guarantee that's the problem. Just get some relays.

Krokoscarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Great. I will search on line

Krokoscarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Just an off topic question. Why do our boats have such crappy components. I never had a starter relay going out on my cars, let alone need for carrying four spare ones in my vehicle. Anyone else thinks it is problem for 35K boat?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
All boats have their quirks, hec any man-made item does. It's a luck of the draw if you ask me. Hopefully you can correct the quirky things (without breaking the bank) and get out on the water and enjoy.

Krokoscarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
It was the relay...the one that says boat electrics. I got a generic one from Autozone for $30 and it started. I also got 10 of them coming in the mail for spares. Thank you everyone.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Listen, I'm certainly not saying this (or any) boat is perfect. But with that being said, I have never had to replace a relay in 145h. It just seems to be a common issue with many people for some reason. My suspicion is shorts while installing the battery is the main cause. But that's just speculation.

You will find other "issues" and issues with the boat. Doesn't matter what brand. There are trade offs no matter where you go. They are made by "hand"... each boat is different. Agreed, certain things shouldn't happen, but it does. Get to know the boat and stay on top of it and it should work well for you. It did for me. :)

Erierees

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hello. New here. I am looking into getting a 165. I like the size but I sat in one at a boat show a year or 2 ago and the driver seat seamed very small. I remember the key digging into my knee, I am 6ft. Any of you experience this? It just seemed that if I hit a rough spot it would not be very comfortable.

Ive had a 1995 Sea-Doo Speedster which is a bit smaller but had more a more roomy driverseat.

Thanks
Randy

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm French-Canadian and therefore, short at 5'8". lol So I can't comment on 6ft. Sorry.