• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Style Lithium Powered Jump Boxes

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have any experience with these new small form factor lithium battery jump boxes?

Since we have always had a smaller boat, we typically haven't had a dual battery setup, so reserve power is usually low. We still enjoy sitting around and listening to the radio while anchored out in a cove though. In the old boat we were "stranded" one time, and that was enough to convince me to carry a jump box with me, and charge it before each outing. The old one was HUGE, like bigger than a car battery. But had some neat power inverter features, and a HVLP air pump for inflating/deflating the tube. Well that one has died, and will soon be retired to the scrap heap as soon as I figure out how to get the battery out for recycling.

So I'm on the prowl for another one, as being stuck on the water (or at the ramp) with a dead battery sucks. Found some of these small form factor units that are making some big claims. I really prefer the idea of a small jump pack over a secondary battery for our little 190. Doesn't seem to make much sense to put a second battery in for just the stock stereo, but the security blanket of house and starting sure seems nice. A jump pack/box seems like a nice compromise with the added benefit of being able to jumpstart the truck, or a friends boat if needed.

This DBPower 600 has great reviews on Amazon, but almost seems to good to be true. It's a tiny package, charges fast, and looks like it would start anything I own. Still $70 is an expensive "test" to see if it works, and most likely I won't know it doesn't until I need it most.

Also, if I do run the battery dead on my new boat while anchored out. Does the stock charging system have enough power to recharge it once it's started? If not fully does it at least have enough power to get me back to the ramp? I have a battery tender/charger at home to replenish once there, but want to make sure I'm covering my bases while on the water.

Any thoughts from the resident experts?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did a lot of research and ended up buying this one http://a.co/7DjOECJ. I have not tested it but reviewers stated that it will start a small block V8 and one guy said it started his diesel. I have it just for piece of mind. It should start the engine and then the engine will charge the battery. When your stereo quits the battery is not dead, typically around 11-12v and you should be able to jump it. If it goes completely bad, like a bad cell then you may not be able to jump it .

Last edited:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmmm.....Both of the above are much smaller than what I carry on the boat now. Definitely have my interest peaked.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did a lot of research and ended up buying this one http://a.co/7DjOECJ. I have not tested it but reviewers stated that it will start a small block V8 and one guy said it started his diesel. I have it just for piece of mind. It should start the engine and then the engine will charge the battery. When your stereo quits the battery is not dead, typically around 11-12v and you should be able to jump it. If it goes completely bad, like a bad cell then you may not be able to jump it .
Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't seen that one.

My tow vehicle has a higher compression 6.0L V8 in it, and it would be nice to be able to start that as well with the jump pack.

I'm really curious to hear from someone that might have used one before, especially on one of our boats. I can't imagine a 1.8L is very hard to get turned over with such a light load on it, but I've been wrong before :D

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One thing about buying these type of devices is that they are being counterfeited by the Chinese so do your research and make sure you get the real thing. Some of the sellers are not reputable, look at all the reviews especially for the particular sellers. The first one I got was a knockoff and I sent it right back.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-RCPPPJS2976DLX-Portable-Power-Source/dp/B00TP11HTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1482179904&sr=1-1&keywords=rockford+jump+starter

This is what we bought without all the charging adapters, it was only about $50 a few years ago. It works great, will start the boat and my Toyotas from a dead battery. I've not had to use it on my diesel yet but wouldn't doubt it.

I bought one for all the vehicles and for my mom and my in laws as gifts,
I have Rockfords as well in all of our vehicles and it started my Chevy 1500HD from a completely dead battery. I did have to use the boost mode though!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Rockford is definitely the way to go. Tooltopia will usually have great sales on them for 50-$60 shipped. I've got 3 of the Rockfords now, one which gets abused hard at the shop, and it never fails to perform. I had 2 Everstarts and 1 other off brand that crapped out real quick.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got an Anitgravity Microstart XP-1 and it works great. I've used it to jump my snowmobile in really really cold conditions. I've also used it to jump my lawnmower (taking out of storage and battery was D-E-D dead). Jumped many cars with it. It will also serve as a 12V power source for all kinds of stuff like laptops, cell phones, etc, and comes with a ton of adapters. Even has a flashlight built in. I carry it all the time in my truck, but take it out on the boat, camping, snowmobile trips, etc. I've used it many more times than I ever thought I would have.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have an Antigravity Micro-Start XP 10 which will start a 7.3L diesel. Got great reviews. Can be used multiple times on a single charge. Has various attachments to charge cell phones, laptops, etc. Also has a flashlight. Was a little pricey ($140) but well worth the investment as compared to being stranded. Comes on the boat every outing. Keep in the car when not on boat. Have assisted other stranded motorists with it on several occasions and they can't believe something that fits in the palm of your hand will start their car.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Anker brand, a brand that I've come to know as high quality. I've used it both on the boat and my V8 4Runner. Worked well both times. Very handy.

I have an old style jump box that is 10x the size and works well. But the Anker can be kept in the bag I bring on board and comes off the boat with me. I would often forget to take the old style in the house. The Anker also doubles as a USB battery for my phone or other equipment, and it has a flashlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010N8YM2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We seldom use the radio in our boat. I've often thought having a full sized marine 12V battery isn't necessary. These are jet ski engines which, in a jet ski, are started with a small motorcycle size AGP battery. Given that the small lithium jump starters should work well.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an Antigravity Micro-Start XP 10 which will start a 7.3L diesel. Got great reviews. Can be used multiple times on a single charge. Has various attachments to charge cell phones, laptops, etc. Also has a flashlight. Was a little pricey ($140) but well worth the investment as compared to being stranded. Comes on the boat every outing. Keep in the car when not on boat. Have assisted other stranded motorists with it on several occasions and they can't believe something that fits in the palm of your hand will start their car.
I have 3 of the same one. Keep one on the boat. One at work. And one in the house as a portable cell phone charger when we are outside on the deck

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought this one in 2015 and it as saved me several times along with a few others I have helped. I have a dual battery set up on my AR 192 but drained pretty good one time and this little thing fired the boat right up. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGTNOT0/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me= Also cranked my friends 2016 Chevy HD 2500 with the Duramax. He was impressed and bought one too. Hope this helps.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reviews and info guys. Looks like it would be a worthwhile purchase even if I'm not keeping it exclusively on the boat.

Lots of different brands to choose from here. Guess I'm off to do some shopping!

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I previously carried one of the big booster boxes that I purchased at Harbor Freight. It worked well but was big and heavy. Last year I bought one of the Lithium models and it's amazing! I've used it for multiple starts on truck engines on a single charge. Haven't had to use it on the boat yet but it is very small, light, and handy. Definitely recommend getting one.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2 cents. I have a long background in RC Car racing and RC Helicopter / Airplane flying. LIPO batteries are great, they are light and very powerful however they can be dangerous. If discharged to low the become unstable. If punctured in any way they become unstable. If over amped the become unstable. When they become unstable the become volatile and will catch fire. Just keep an eye on them and I would never store them unattended in my boat. I have had LIPOs just combust on my work bench because I over amped one in my Heli. Most have electronics to assist in preventing these conditions but they are not perfect and no two batteries are the same.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 2 cents. I have a long background in RC Car racing and RC Helicopter / Airplane flying. LIPO batteries are great, they are light and very powerful however they can be dangerous. If discharged to low the become unstable. If punctured in any way they become unstable. If over amped the become unstable. When they become unstable the become volatile and will catch fire. Just keep an eye on them and I would never store them unattended in my boat. I have had LIPOs just combust on my work bench because I over amped one in my Heli. Most have electronics to assist in preventing these conditions but they are not perfect and no two batteries are the same.
I agree and just to add my .02; LiPo or Lithium Polymer or rechargeable lithium batteries all should have protection circuits (PCB) between the cells that protect from over charging/discharging, over current and short circuit. They can and do fail so as @Hellacool stated don't store them in an unattended vehicle. If you must leave unattended this may be a way to minimize the damage http://a.co/emu9FqO
:jimlad:[flag]

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree and just to add my .02; LiPo or Lithium Polymer or rechargeable lithium batteries all should have protection circuits (PCB) between the cells that protect from over charging/discharging, over current and short circuit. They can and do fail so as @Hellacool stated don't store them in an unattended vehicle. If you must leave unattended this may be a way to minimize the damage http://a.co/emu9FqO
:jimlad:[flag]
Great idea for those storing in a vehicle. I'll probably keep mine in the garage.....wait, I should still keep it in a bag eh?

Looking at the dimensions on that one in the link, it must be the Tardis model.....it's bigger on the inside :D :D