• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New SX230 Owner, very excited to get her out on the water!

Zak77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been searching for a boat for quite some time and thought I wanted a SeaRay sundeck but started reading all vast amount of issues and maintenance on the inboards/outboards. Then moved over to bowriders/deckboats with outboards but none had a good seating arrangement. Then discovered the yamaha's. We looked at one about a year ago but it was an older model and was in terrible condition so we passed. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and we started the search again. Looked at a 2004 AR230 but was a little beat up and pricey. Then went to the Greater Philadelphia boat show and had an amazing time. There we were debating between a Bayliner VR8, Yamaha AR210, or Monterrey ??. (Though my wife really wanted a Ranger Tug. Little out of the budget). The Yamaha dealer has some decent prices on their boats, but we went to dinner to think about it. Decided to wait until the next day to go back and look again, but that night as I sat on the couch and opened up my first boat search for the night I found a pristine 2007 SX230. We looked at it the next day and bought her on the spot.

One owner since new. We have ALL the paperwork for every service or work done on it. Mainly just winterizations and throttle cable replacement. Kept on a lift at a private lake and stored indoors in the winter. Besides a few small scratches on the hull, she literally looks brand new. So we saved about $28k buying used, got a larger boat, have an enclosed head (very big issue since I have 3 daughters) and thing is in amazing shape. Owner is upgrading to a 26' Regal bowrider.

I already ordered a garmin fish finder/chart plotter as it was onsale at West Marine and will be hooking it up soon. Need to find how to route the wiring and not put to many holes in my boat! Then I'll be adding fishing pole holders and other goodies.

Looking to see if anyone has good ideas for a live well???

Boat did not come with an anchor so I am searching on what anchor to get. We live about 60 miles west of Philly and will be using the boat in the bays (Barnegate & Chesapeak), local lakes and up in Cape Cod this summer. What would be the best anchor for these mixed conditions?

Amazing website and wealth of information. This site greatly helped in my search and knowledge of these awesome boats.

Now to figure out a name for her.

Few Pics of her.

20180318_213822543_iOS.jpg 20180318_214143722_iOS.jpg

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20180318_213928445_iOS.jpg
    20180318_213928445_iOS.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180318_214958713_iOS.jpg
    20180318_214958713_iOS.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
Did not think about that area for a live well. Has anyone done that before? Would love to see some pics.

Thank you for the info on the anchor!

Did not think about that area for a live well. Has anyone done that before? Would love to see some pics.

Thank you for the info on the anchor!

I do not know of anyone who has but I have considered it. It already has a drain. A plug and a hand pump to fill would make for a simple test.

We rarely fish on our SX230 but when we do we do so from the swim deck and place an ice chest to store the fish in nearby. Another option would be to plumb an ice chest to make it a live well.

Congrats. If you don't mind the weight, a 20lbs Navy anchor holds my sx230 extremely well. 6ft of chain assist.

Here is an example

Congratulations, Glad to have you on board,

Is this your first boat?

Make sure your first trip out is on a calm day without a lot of other boat traffic to give you a chance to get used to handling.

check out this thread for known issues with this model (all easily fixed)
https://jetboaters.net/threads/known-issues-for-boat-years-2003-2009-with-mr1-engines.15464/

And be sure to think about some sort of cleanout plug lock device like cobra lock, it's cheap insurance,

I love my box anchor (shallow lakes, no chain needed) but I think it's more for clay/sand bottoms.

Great find! That’s a beautiful color

@Scottintexas we owned a beautiful 1958 Whirlwind (mahogany plywood hulled runabout) but have not owned a modern boat before. When we travel for vacation we just about always rent a bot. 22' deckboat, 25' center console for the florida Keys and rented a 25' pontoon boat on a lake in WV.

I read over that thread, great info in there and i'll check out hte plug lockers. Previous owner was VERY meticulous about this boat. He'd clean/lube the plugs every time he took the boat out and would leave the plugs out of the holes when he stored them.

there is a smaller lake not to far from us once we finally get some warm water I plan on launching it up there at one of the lesser used launches and take her out for a maiden voyage.

Very small profile, just the very heavy weight, but it holds great in all ground types so far. Have been using it from many years now.

I have used several anchors over the years. But, once I discovered the Mantus I was in awe. I believed in them so much, I became a dealer. The Mantus anchors are incredible. I have a 2009 SX230 and use a 13lb Mantus anchor. It holds beautifully. If you are interested, you can check out my website below that has lots of pictures and videos showing how the Mantus works. The link is in my signature below.

I have used several anchors over the years. But, once I discovered the Mantus I was in awe. I believed in them so much, I became a dealer. The Mantus anchors are incredible. I have a 2009 SX230 and use a 13lb Mantus anchor. It holds beautifully. If you are interested, you can check out my website below that has lots of pictures and videos showing how the Mantus works. The link is in my signature below.
Thanks for the info @farrelltravis . Question, does the mantis fit in the bow anchor locker?

For your boat, no. That is, not without modification of some sort. The roll bar on the Mantus is the limiting factor. On our SX230, the Mantus anchor is kept underneath the bow seat. At first, I didn't like that setup. But, over time, it has not been an issue. It is a tradeoff we were willing to make to have the Mantus as our primary anchor.

Back