• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Tech Samsung Galazy Z Fold3

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 256g in Phantom black and it came in this weekend. Since I was getting $1000 credit plus discount on my Note 9 off from AT&T I figured it would be to try it out.

Problem
1) I have a Garmin 93sv, which I love everything about, but when I am using it in split screen mode to do fish finding , unless I add another panel, which makes them smaller, I don't have my charts showing. so I have to toggle around a bit. When I am fishing by myself I like to keep things simple since I am doing a lot at once. My current Note9 the screen feels awful small when running Navionics and my less than perfect eyesight, I wear reading glasses.

I was going to use one of my galaxy tabs and run Navionics on that as a backup when the charts aren't showing on the plotter but they are too big. But then I have the Garmin, Note9 and tablet at the helm which feels too much.

I was looking at the Z fold 3 in the store and was surprised by how durable it feels and has good waterproof rating. When opened up it looks great. Figure I will just change out my phone mount for something that is a bit wider and it should give me the best of all worlds. Plus it is 5g and seems a lot faster than my Note9. This way I don't have to buy a new tablet with Mobile Connectivity or Hot Spot my phone.

It also works with the S-Pen so I can draw on the screen for notes and things.

One of my biggest gripes is browsing the web and trying to find and read up on things when all I have is my phone. Some things are just clunky and of course it seems small. I guess I could have went to one of those super sized phones, but the screen is bigger on this and the smaller footprint when folded fits nicely in the pocket or hand.

Buy Galaxy Z Fold3 5G 256GB (AT&T) Phones | Samsung US

We will see how it works out.

imagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian The first picture is the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 Closed and just viewing the front screen. The second picture is with it opened up view the inner two screens. Same phone. You can use the inner two as one or as two side by side windows.

So basically my new phone in closed and opened mode.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian The first picture is the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 Closed and just viewing the front screen. The second picture is with it opened up view the inner two screens. Same phone. You can use the inner two as one or as two side by side windows.

So basically my new phone in closed and opened mode.
I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I didn't realize it had an outside and inside screen. Haven't looked at them yet. Storage space?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I got 256gb. They also have a 512gb version as well but the lead time on it was a few weeks away. I never got over 130gb on my note9 since everything I do sync's to the cloud, specifically my OneDrive so no sense in more storage for me.

Also the screens are 120Hz refresh rate on the cover screen and internal screens. Very fluid. It has 12gb of RAM and very good processor.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That is pretty cool, but I will never own a Samsung phone again lol

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I looked at that and the Z flip, ended up getting the S21 ultra for the better camera. I've had LG phones for 6 years so I forgot how much different the Samsung interface is. Got me a Galaxy watch 4 as well, first smart watch

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors so when the phone is folded is it about the same size as your 9? I have a Note 8 and I've liked it. It's been a durable phone and has only been glitchy a handful of times. It was software update related. I'm ready for an upgrade and we have AT&T too. The battery life isn't what it used to be. It doesn't last all day even if I'm not on it at all. I've seen the promos lately so I'm tossed as to which one to get. I want to get my hands on one of these folding phones but none of the stores have them. I've got a friend that has a S21 ultra that's on my list too. I'm on my phone a lot most days so the large folding screen has my interest, but I'm worried about the durability and the longevity of the screen.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PEARCE It is not as wide as the Note9, which I like a lot since it thinner in the hand and the pocket. I am in IT and use my phone all day when away from my laptop and although I have only had this for 2 days it makes a world of difference. This is their 3 Generation of Folding phone and it supposed to be super durable. If there where issue with folding they wouldn't be pumping these out like they are. The S21 Ultra is a great phone and It was on my list to get. But once I played with the demo they had at the ATT store of the Z Fold 3 I was hooked. It may not be for everyone. It is a bit heavier and a bit thicker. It doesn't come with an S-Pen but I ordered a case with S-Pen and that came today.

The key is to take advantage of the PROMO if you can. I wouldn't have paid full price for it, not at $1700....... But now that I have used it I would probably do now.

I ordered mine at the ATT store last Thursday and it showed up a couple days later. They didn't have any in stock and can't keep them in stock.

I am all about productivity and this phone is a game changer for me.

I figured I may as well try it, I have 14 days and then I can return it for a $55 restocking charge. Glad I did.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wrote some notes with the S-Pen, very impressive. The larger screen makes it much nicer than the Note9. Like night and day.

One other thing, the Android Auto is much smoother in my truck with it. Was always a bit glitchy with the Note9. Not sure if I will use Android Auto but it has some features that would be helpful.

Going to do some battery run down tests over the next couple of days to see how that goes.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not having the S pen wouldn't be a game changer for me. This is my second Note phone and I haven't really used it much. I guess I don't truly utilize all of what these high tech phones have to offer.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the S Pen when I need to use. I don't use it a lot. But when I want to sketch something out it comes in very handy or for quick notes and measurements when working on the house or boat etc. On this phone it is so much easier to use.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm happy with my iPhone 8 (a hand me down from my daughter), but am impressed with the unfolded chart in the first post! :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Admiral traded in her Iphone 6 and got an iPhone 13 Pro, which they just released. Couldn't believe it, after trading her phone it the new phone only costs $2.28 per month. So that was a no brainer. ATT is rocking on the phone deals for trade in right now. Figured we needed to jump on them. Usually when I go to upgrade or break a phone they bend us over pretty good and I am always annoyed because they don't have specials going on. Feels like I won this time :)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did you have one of the exploding ones?
No, I was done with Samsung before that. To be clear, I am a full Apple guy and will probably never look back. BUT if I did go back to Android - I would only buy a Google phone. When I had Android phones, the Google devices ran so much better than the Samsung with their bloatware and their own take on Android. Could be different now, but just left a bad taste in my mouth. They also seemed to run like crap after a year. Also when I was installing professionally, anytime we had issues with phones connecting to radios, it was typically a Samsung.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apples are good phones, the Admiral and Girls like them. I just don't like being in a closed eco system and being dictated what I can do with my property. This has always turned me off. No doubt they are smooth, and fantastic pieces of technology. Thought about trying one out this cycle but really liked the Fold 3.

Last edited:

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Apples are good phones, the Admiral and Girls like them. I just don't like being in a closed eco system and being dictated what I can do with my property. This has always turned me off. No doubt they are smooth, and fantastic pieces of technology. Thought about trying one out this cycle but really liked the Fold 3.
Apple haters unite!!! Can't stand iPhones, have an iPhone 12 as my work phone and hate it

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Apples are good phones, the Admiral and Girls like them. I just don't like being in a closed eco system and being dictated what I can do with my property. This has always turned me off. No doubt they are smooth, and fantastic pieces of technology. Thought about trying one out this cycle but really like the Fold 3.
That Fold is definitely cool, and it is perfect for this use. Hopefully you get a long life out of it.

I used to be the same way, said I would give Apple a chance when they went to a large screen. Went in on the 6 and haven't looked back. I used to root and put custom roms on my phones, always had emulators on them too. I don't miss any of it. I am pretty deep in the rabbit hole so I may be blind but I don't think the eco-system is really that closed like it used to be. I can access all my Apple services through a Windows machine and I think most through Android as well now (Music/TV/iCloud/etc.). AirPods work with anything bluetooth I think the only locked items are Apple Pay and the Watch, both of which make sense. Of course things do work better when all the same, which makes sense. Like I can use my phone to control and type on my Apple TV. People joke about the phones slowing down when a new one comes out, which they kinda do..... but each one I have had far outlived any Android I had. I also sell mine every two years for pretty much what I paid for it after discounts. As you mentioned the deals are great, and if you play it right you can basically end up with a free phone at all times.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
One stupid feature I miss from my old Samsung was built in IR. We used to mess with the TVs at winghouse and freak out the girls. Good times.