• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New tires for your tow

Goodyears or Michlens

• Goodyear

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Michlen

Votes: 26 83.9%

• Total voters

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I need new rubber for my tow, which would you choose and why?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The guys here convinced me to get Michelin LTX M/S2 for my Expedition. They are hardly wearing at all. I get great traction in the snow and slippery ramps and they are quiet. I would suggest you consider them even though they are expensive.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother swears by Michelin as well. Top dollar but he swears by them

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Michelin, no question. Goodyears aren't even in the same league. If you can get a set of Defenders in the size you need, you'll wear out your truck before you wear the tires out.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The guys here convinced me to get Michelin LTX M/S2 for my Expedition. They are hardly wearing at all. I get great traction in the snow and slippery ramps and they are quiet. I would suggest you consider them even though they are expensive.
+1 on this, have these on our Lexus GX 460. They are quiet, great in rain and snow and have a long tread life.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I would go Michelin as well. The factory Michelins on my Envoy have almost 70k on them and have some good tread left, and are warn very evenly. Had a set of LTX's like Bucks on a half ton Sierra and got 100k on them before I got rid of the truck.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Michelins or BF Goodwinch. I wouldn't waste your hard earned dollar on Goodyears. As previously posted, they are not even in the same category. I had BFG's on my previous 1\2 ton Ford and the original set lasted over 100k miles. The only reason I had to replace them is because they were starting to dry rot and one started to lose air. They were the long trail tires I believe and I think the LTX's are very similar. They are certainly worth the price. I just upgraded the wheels and tires on my 5th wheel camper from 15" to 16" to get a LT tire and went with the Michelin LTX M\S 2 that are E rated and I couldn't be happier. I have Bridgestone Dueller A\T's on my truck and they wear very well and are quite on the highway.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the responses, I am going with the Michelins, 275/65R 18, LTX M/S 2 $1050 or so at discount tire in Sherman TX.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is about what I paid years ago so it seems you are getting a good price.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is what I run. May need to get get something more aggressive next time because of gravel ramp and 2 wheel drive. So far michelins have done great on personal and work trucks.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dan144k next time? really? lol I hope not for a long while, our ramp is concrete and the old ford has 4x4 plus a locker rear end....... but i will be happy to come up and give you a tug to get you off the boat ramp!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jebinok thanks for the offer. we ussually just have evyrbody get in the bow of the boat to make the tires bite better. The minivans with jetski really tear up the ramp. Lol

Discount Tire will price match for 30 days after purchase.
I always check several places online after I buy tires, if I find them cheaper,discount Tire will give you cash back for 30 days.

2 suggestions
1. Sears with coupon code
2. Tirerack.com

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Now that just depends @Jebinok . :confused: I run Michelins on all cars and trucks and have for years. Just nothing better.:winkingthumbsup" And I joined FMCA, a motorhome association that has a deal with Michelin to get a good discount. But then after reading, I discovered that I had to buy steer tires and drive tires, as well reports of other issues.:( The only full size over the road truck tire made for motorhomes is the Goodyear G670 RV. It came standard on my '08 Fleetwood Discovery in a 275/70R22.5 size. So I replaced all 6 this last fall, right before our westward journey. It has a better load rating than the Michelin for that size. You may ask why I list the coach as a tow? Well, we towed the boat towards Lake Powell last September 1800 miles and back with the coach! And the boat never got in the water. Long story and details found in other threads. But it is certainly a capable tow vehicle. We will attempt this again this coming fall. On the cars/trucks however, it is Michelin all the way. Could you please add a check box for both![flag]

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lol @txav8r, leave it to you for always being on both sides of the fence! I'll see what i can do about "both". But the wife does have goodyears on her charger, came with goodyears, bought a set of Perellies, those were shit, and went back to goodyears

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
It's not really about which brand is better but a specific tire. Michelin does make excellent tires however they also extremely poor tires.

Michelin pilot super sports I had on my Saab viggen were among the best I have owned, cord were showing just before 17k miles and I loved every miles I used those tire. Awesome grip in wet or dry conditions as long as it was warm :)

My now X wife had Goodyear tires from the factory. When they were warn out I "upgraded" to Michelin latitudes..... They are without a doubt the worst tire I have every owned. Simply scary on anything except a vine dry road, any water let alone snow or ice and they are deadly.

Put Michelin pilot AS3 on the flex, excellent 3 season tire....

Txav8r... Which model discovery? I am looking for a similar RV probably a 2005-2007, I had a 08 Bounder 38P which is now the X wife's.... She's been trying to sell it for 6 months now

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's an '08 39R @viggen . And those tires are not cheap at all, about $600 apiece.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's my $0.02. I don't buy the "best" of hardly anything. I don't buy the best ketchup, because the off brand will do for me. I don't buy the best ________, because ______ will do. With tires, my biggest issues have been dry rot and age. So, for me, I don't buy the best tires. I buy the best value for the mileage warranty.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Neither. I have BFG's. But normally, if given the choice, Michelin LT tires for all my trailers and TV's.
20160611_131056.jpg