• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New to boating ... next spring that is.

Mc2871

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just purchased a new 2014 SX 240HO (inventory boat). Won't have a chance to use it until next May.
In the meantime I am looking for some buying advice on either fixed or handheld VHF radios and any info on fish finders/chartplotters combos.
As well are two batteries required/essential for 'safer' boating.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

glad to have you on board, update your profile with your location so we know where your at,

Is this your first boat?

Two batteries are not required for normal use but a jumper pack is a good safety item if you do use only one.

Welcome aboard @Mc2871 and congrats on your great new boat. To better answer your questions it would be helpful to have some more info such as where you boat, fresh or salt water. Do you intend to sit at anchor and listen to music for hours running high wattage stereo equipment or just the stock equipment that came with the boat? Will you be boating out of cell phone range or out of sight of shore? These answers will better determine what your needs are with regard to batteries and radio equipment. If you do intend to run single battery as I do you may want to consider carrying a jumper box which will provide starting power to you or a fellow boater.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes it is our first boat.
Will be fresh water boating on Georgian Bay
Yes - to sit at anchor and listen to music with stock equipment.
Not sure about cell phone range and probably within sight of shore for a few of the first outings.

Check with your local authorities who patrol your lakes and see how far they are from you. This will help you decide whether to get a handheld or fixed VHF.

Look into installing a dual bank(battery) charger to maintain your batteries in top condition while it sits in storage. @ChargerGuy can help you find a good deal on a charger.

@Mc2871 Welcome and congrats on the new boat! I have a Garmin GPSMAP and like it - its actually the 2nd one. I mounted with a RAM mount to the dash, but a suction cup windshield mount would have been much easier!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the boat! I have a '12 SX240 and love that boat! I also have a Blue Sea Add a Battery switch and ACR combo with two group 27 AGM batteries. It is overkill for most but even if I didn't upgrade the stereo (I am), I would still have two batteries. I have been boating all my life and I have experienced battery issues more than once. A spare is an easy way to cure the issue. A jump pack in my opinion is a secondary maintenance issue but certainly easier than the expense and effort to add batteries. Ease of use to me and dependability are important, so having a battery switch where I can completely kill all battery drain is a must, as is the second battery. The ACR is just a convenience in my book. I had a Garmin 431S and liked it, I have issues using a cell phone and the navionics app, it works when it wants to. So a dedicated chart plotter is a must. Like the guys said, if you have cell coverage on a freshwater lake, not sure if a VHF is necessary, but it is peace of mind if you can't get a phone call through. Many marinas don't reply to cell calls but do to VHF, so that may be a factor in your area as well. Welcome to the forum and congrats once again!

Georgian Bay on Lake Huron?

I strongly suggest a fixed mount VHF with a tall whip antenna. VHF is line of sight - you could easily be out of range on waters like that with a handheld.

Also... Welcome to jetboaters.net! You will love your SX240 - great boat.

Yes it is Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.

Thanks to all of you for the welcome comments and for the advice. It will now be easier to start the buying process.

I appreciate the positive post, Murf. If I can help anyone with getting a charger, even if it is not something I carry, please reach out.
Thanks!
Jason

Welcome aboard @Mc2871 glad to have you aboard. Congrats on the new boat too. As you can see we're always willing to help spend your money on upgrades. That's just what we do ;) sounds like the guys have already given you the best answers to your original questions, so good luck with the new boat.

Ps Its going to seem like a long winter having bought a new boat that you can't use until May. So be sure to check in often.

I always like the off season. It is just me and my boat, learning about her, giving her TLC, and improving her! Off season is so intimate:winkingthumbsup"

Welcome to the source for all knowledge and purchasing resources...

And hello to a fellow Canadian...

this will be the longest winter of your life !!... I suffered thru last year's brutal test of my winter patience. We purchased the boat in Sept 2013 and didn't get to spash her until May 20th ish ...

I had many questions and need to know stuff about this new boat and this site not only answered the questions, but also pumped me up with great videos and mod ideas.

Thankfully this site can fill you in all any details you need.

We really enjoyed our first summer on Lake Erie with the 19 footer... Your decision on purchasing the larger 24 ft. is wise for Georgian Bay. We were very happy with everything about the boat. PLUS... I get to tuck it away in the garage for the winter...

Can I ask which dealer you selected for your purchase?

Hi fellow Canadian @beachbum, I agree with you this is a great site. I am happy to have stumbled across it. I am learning something new every time I read a thread.

I purchased my boat at Monto-Reno Marina just south of Barrie.

Back