• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet Boating with 2018 210 FSH Sport

CuriousJBGeorge

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Taking delivery Tuesday of a barely used (~30h) 2018 210 FSH Sport.
During test drive I absolutely loved the responsiveness and handling / tracking at high speeds as well as turning radius.
Will take some adjustment to handling at slow speeds.
Any advice that can speed up that learning curve is welcome.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! You’ve found a great resource to maximize the enjoyable of your new to you boat.

There are many threads on here the will provide great detail, but here are my top take-ways.

1) First few times out, try to go mid week to avoid the crowds and feeling of being “watched” or “rushed” - take your time launching and retrieving. Best if you have a boating friend, or any friend to come and help
2) Small inputs when slow speed maneuvering. That is, don’t turn hard to port, then hard to starboard when trying to correct going off course
3) Use “no-wake” mode. I believe on your model there are 3 different RPM settings (I have a 2012 and only have 1). By using “no wake”, you are raising the engine RMPs and holding them consistent - you can bump the throttle in and out of “gear” (The boat dosen’t have actual gears - its just the reverse bucket opening and closing), and make slight corrections when docking..
4) Become familiar with the First & Second detent. At the first detent, I believe on the newer models, more of the thrust is angled down to assist in slow speed tracking/steering. There is a technical term/achronom for this, but its eluding me at the moment
5) You have TWIN motors/throttles, practice maneuvering the vessel with just the throttles. Port Fwd, Startboard Reverse - while allow you to rotate/spin to the starboard side...
6) Jet Boats don’t have a TRUE NEUTRAL - you may notice that when in Neutral, you still are inching forward or in reverse - if you still have pronounced movement in either direction, you can adjust the reverse buckets to try to mitigate this
7)) If after a few outings, you aren’t happy with the slow speed manners, you can consider JBP Thurstvectors or Cobra Jet Steering Fins. Both venders on present on the forum, and there are plenty of reviews of the products.

Lastly, don’t fret - you probably got the boat to “escape”, in due time it will become second nature... Enjoy the water!

PS - update your profile with your location so others will know where you are boating...

Last edited:

NeilFSU

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! You’ve found a great resource to maximize the enjoyable of your new to you boat.

There are many threads on here the will provide great detail, but here are my top take-ways.

1) First few times out, try to go mid week to avoid the crowds and feeling of being “watched” or “rushed” - take your time launching and retrieving. Best if you have a boating friend, or any friend to come and help
2) Small inputs when slow speed maneuvering. That is, don’t turn hard to port, then hard to starboard when trying to correct going off course
3) Use “no-wake” mode. I believe on your model there are 3 different RPM settings (I have a 2012 and only have 1). By using “no wake”, you are raising the engine RMPs and holding them consistent - you can bump the throttle in and out of “gear” (The boat dosen’t have actual gears - its just the reverse bucket opening and closing), and make slight corrections when docking..
4) Become familiar with the First & Second detent. At the first detent, I believe on the newer models, more of the thrust is angled down to assist in slow speed tracking/steering. There is a technical term/achronom for this, but its eluding me at the moment
5) You have TWIN motors/throttles, practice maneuvering the vessel with just the throttles. Port Fwd, Startboard Reverse - while allow you to rotate/spin to the starboard side...
6) Jet Boats don’t have a TRUE NEUTRAL - you may notice that when in Neutral, you still are inching forward or in reverse - if you still have pronounced movement in either direction, you can adjust the reverse buckets to try to mitigate this
7)) If after a few outings, you aren’t happy with the slow speed manners, you can consider JPB Thurstvectors or Cobra Jet Steering Fins. Both venders on present on the forum, and there are plenty of reviews of the products.

Lastly, don’t fret - you probably got the boat to “escape”, in due time it will become second nature... Enjoy the water!

PS - update your profile with your location so others will know where you are boating...
Thanks for these tips

CuriousJBGeorge

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great info and is much appreciated. I have an old aluminum (1970 Starcraft) with an outboard for over 20 years - putting it up for sale now.
Decided I wanted something newer, a little more versatile, as well as family friendly. Researched long and hard and narrowed it down to two models, both center consoles - one outboard and the FSH Sport. Was going to buy new at the coming winter boat show when this used one became available. Had to strike quickly and I hope I don't regret it.