• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet Boating

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! This is an amazing community of boat owners.

We had a 1995 Spectrum 19 Pro Avenger with 115 Mercury outboard. It was a great boat for the last 20 years. Initially a fishing rig, then modified for pleasure. Aluminum hull with lots of marine plywood that has been and needed to be replaced over the last two decades. We were thinking of close to a total rebuild this spring, or I was thinking about it but the wife was not. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we lost the boat in a fire at the storage facility this past November. For us, it was not that large of a setback. Our previous boat which we nick-named "almost free" because it was a gift with typical boat issues, had given all it could have over the last 15 years. I'm sure others that lost cars, RV's, boats, PWC's and everything else stored in there may not be as forgiving as we are.

On the upside. We put together a list of "wants" for a new boat. And we set a budget. So we found a 2007 Yamaha SX210 locally that met what we were looking for and well within our budget. To date I have gone on a test run last Friday for about 30 minutes and the boat seems to run fine. Short of that we have been getting all the gear we lost in the fire purchased and stowed on the new rig. Water here is still in the 40's here, but we are eager to get out there and test out the 'new' ride.

As for the "wow" at the intro, I asked a few questions and the community has responded quickly. I do look forward to learning from others as this is a different setup than I am accustomed to.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome. If you have not purchased it yet make sure you do a compression test and have someone with a YDS check for codes and for hours.

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks for the suggestion. i have already purchased the boat so hopefully no major issues, and i do have a warranty from the marina for 100% coverage thru end of May. there was an hour meter on the boat that was displaying 199.1 hours, which if the previous owner boated like we have the past 7 or 8 years the hours make sense. for the most part we launch, travel 15 minutes to grass island, hang out there for the day, then 15 minutes back.

i will check compression this weekend, just need to buy an adapter for my gauge as these plugs are small. i am looking for a clean copy of the YDS software. i found sellers on eBay from eastern Europe, but i'm not comfortable loading up potentially harmful software onto my laptop. too much in the news about ransom ware.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure how much reading you have done about your boat but you for sure want to change out the scupper valve. And since we are good at spending other peoples money here is the rest of my purchase suggestions:
steering fins
EZ Locks
noodle mods
boat buckles
Stoltz bow roller
grab handle on stern
replace fuel tank hatch bolts
regrease the cone bearings

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
starboard cone bearings done, ran out of daylight and it has been raining for two days now; boat came with cobra fins, they are old but no dents or gouges; marina gave me boat buckles (because they have their name embroidered on them); saw lots on info on EZ locks and that looks like a worthwhile expense; noodle mods? guess i will have to look into; when you say fuel tank hatch bolts are you talking about the screws that hold down the large floor plate?; i see you pic has a handle above the ladder on the stern, cool idea and beats having to reach for the stock handle; as for the bow roller we are using an in/out or valet service, basically they rack the boat inside and we call when we want to go out and they drop in, easier then trailering with a 2 year old.

what is the scupper valve and why change it out? is this the valve for the drain line through the engine compartment from the deck?

thanks for the advice. hoping we are ready for the season early May.

tmahar146

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!!
Yes, scupper valve is for the white drain line through engine compartment. Scupper valve on your boat was made out of plastic and was positioned below the water line. Overtime they developed cracks that could lead to flooding. Most have replaced with stainless steel versions.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
EZ Locks because the plugs will blow some day even if you have installed them correctly.
Stuff pool noodles inside the table legs so they float if they roll off the swim platform. Also place a noodle on your windshield before installing the cover and it will protect the cover from punctures.
Yes the large floor hatch over the fuel tank. If you don't remove and anti seize those bolts now, you won't be able to do it later when you need to. Although it may be too late already.
@tmahar146 covered the scupper valve well. There is a set of wrenches made for the job floating around amongst the guys. Most guys report that the old valve crumbles in their hand when they remove it so don't put it off.

I wish I could say I am a really smart guy but all of the above ideas came from guys before me that made their boats better.