• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet boats....<Scarab 2014 HO top speed?>

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Greetings,
I got my eye on a scarab 2014 HO (non impulse, booooo)
its pretty basic, i'm a sucker for towers, speakers, leds - but the price is right, 24k, only has 80 hours on it.

I've never had a jet boat - can you push me over the edge on this one? I read top speed on this is only 44mph?
that is crazy, its a 250 supercharged engine

I currently own a 4.3 merc, 190 HP and 4 ppl on board had it over 50 mph

always wanted a scarab, a little hesitant on the jet boat - especially the base model is kinda meh

help me :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
From Boattest.com:

Performance and Handling
We have not had the opportunity to test the 195 HO ourselves, however Scarab reports that with a Rotax 1.5L Supercharged 250 engine, she'll reach a top speed of 40 mph. Testing with a Rotax 1.5L Supercharged HO 250 the Scarab 195 will hit 43 mph at WOT, according to the builder.

Perhaps someone with that boat can chime in?

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I guess not that I need to go 50, but its nice to have if I want it. just super surprised my 21 year old boat with 190 HP and get 50+, yet this "supercharged" 250hp can only get to 43?
+1 to prop boat

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've only seen 44 on a Cold day 60f and water temperature in the 50/60f. Hot humid summer day 40mpr is about what it does. Be careful buying used if you never owned a jet before, try to get service or maintenance records.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, prop is more efficient at horsepower vs. Speed. It's a sacrifice, but beats another 1-2ft of draft where I boat, and the complexity of the outdrive is eliminated.

Apples vs. Oranges... They are different. You will find other differences soon.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've only seen 44 on a Cold day 60f and water temperature in the 50/60f. Hot humid summer day 40mpr is about what it does. Be careful buying used if you never owned a jet before, try to get service or maintenance records.
hmm.. i am new to jet boats, and that worries me.
i'd be buying it from spicers boat city - they sold it new to a guy and they maintained it (atleast last year they did) and guy traded it back to them for a new boat

i'm just still shocked this boat tops out around 40, like you said - thats very disapointing - even more dissapionting when i can't go faster than 35 with 4 adults.

is this going to have trouble pulling tubers or a wake boarder? i'm so shocked

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you are using the "speed" reading from the boat it could be deceiving...specially if it's a 90's boat. Using a GPS for the old boat would be more accurate and give you a better idea of how fast she was really going. On the other hand if you were already using GPS for speed then your argument is valid.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you are using the "speed" reading from the boat it could be deceiving...specially if it's a 90's boat. Using a GPS for the old boat would be more accurate and give you a better idea of how fast she was really going. On the other hand if you were already using GPS for speed then your argument is valid.
yep, good point. i was using gps app

@wango tango - i'm still super curious on what you are implying with this
Be careful buying used if you never owned a jet before, try to get service or maintenance records.

its got 80 hours, what more am i looking for other than yearly winterizing and oil changes - which would be no different than any other boat. not sure what you are meaning here

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seadoo sportster with dual 85hp engines could do 42+ loaded to the brim. It was a light boat, but moved just fine.

Jets lose 25-30% thrust compared to prop for same horsepower. No way around it.

If the boat is slower that others with same model and same engine I would examine impeller and wear ring, as well as max Rpm while loaded.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Seadoo sportster with dual 85hp engines could do 42+ loaded to the brim. It was a light boat, but moved just fine.

Jets lose 25-30% thrust compared to prop for same horsepower. No way around it.

If the boat is slower that others with same model and same engine I would examine impeller and wear ring, as well as max Rpm while loaded.
Thanks, i dont think there is anything wrong w/ the boat, it just is my complete lack of knowledge of jet boats. scarabs just LOOK fast and when i hear super charger and 250 horse, then find out it tops out at low 40s, i was in disbelief

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
hmm.. i am new to jet boats, and that worries me.
i'd be buying it from spicers boat city - they sold it new to a guy and they maintained it (atleast last year they did) and guy traded it back to them for a new boat

i'm just still shocked this boat tops out around 40, like you said - thats very disapointing - even more dissapionting when i can't go faster than 35 with 4 adults.

is this going to have trouble pulling tubers or a wake boarder? i'm so shocked
No it's great for pulling tubes and skier's, Lot's of torque.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
yep, good point. i was using gps app

@wango tango - i'm still super curious on what you are implying with this
Be careful buying used if you never owned a jet before, try to get service or maintenance records.

its got 80 hours, what more am i looking for other than yearly winterizing and oil changes - which would be no different than any other boat. not sure what you are meaning here
Just make sure you check impeller and wear ring, look for damage. My comment about buying used jet boat is a lot of people are first-timers to Jets and suck up rocks /ropes and tear up the impeller ,wear ring and other things. Before I bought my new Scarab I looked at a lot of Sea-Doos that had impeller damage.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just make sure you check impeller and wear ring, look for damage. My comment about buying used jet boat is a lot of people are first-timers to Jets and suck up rocks /ropes and tear up the impeller ,wear ring and other things. Before I bought my new Scarab I looked at a lot of Sea-Doos that had impeller damage.
ok thank you very much, i would hope the dealer would inspect that and mark it as OK but good point
i'll watch some videos on it so i can be more in the know when i see it, thank you

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope and dealer don't usually work well together. Sadly in many cases there is an adversarial relationship, with the dealer , who's hoping to separate you from your money, the more the better.

It's tough to trust someone with a conflict of interest. As bad as this sounds, believe nothing and verify everything, and you have a smaller chance of being disappointed by any misinformation they might provide.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
well - isn't that the unfortunate truth - wish they would come with a warranty ;)

seems like everyone is happy with their scarab

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
umm....wow, I see a lot of people complaining about their 14-15 scarabs :(
this worries me

2015 Scarab 195
Long Beach, CA
Issue 1: Sucked up rope, broke carbon seal. 30 miles off shore, towed back and nearly swamped the boat. Required $13k in repairs including new engine.
Issue 2: Sucked up rope, broke carbon seal. $4k in water damage.
Other issues as well.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Mine is a 2015. Perfectly fine up to now...

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
does the carbon seal/ring have to be replaced every 200 hours? and that looks like a $1,500 repair
maybe its back to the sterndrives....

Surferd15

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
The carbon seal works great when its treated right. Flush only 30 seconds out of the water. Try not to suck ropes up..they climb up the shaft toward the motor and blow the carbon seal. Easy to check put boat in water then run it on trailer. If it leaks alot then its either engine alignment or a new carbon seal. They are a b*tch to change out.