• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jetboating and having an issue!

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey, I've just joined Jetboaters after purchasing my first Jetboat. Its a 2008 Yamaha SX230. I've always owned inboard/outboards but have wanted one of these for a while. There are definitely things I like better about the i/o and the jetboat. The more familiar I get with my jetboat the more I love it! I've taken it out the past two weekends and it has performed excellent. The only issue I've had while out on the water is the port side engine doesn't always turn over when trying to crank. I've had to sit and turn the key for 20 sec or so before it cranks. I assume it's a solenoid or the starter giving the issue. I can sometimes hear it click back there... Any insight on this?

My biggest issue came last night while I was flushing it out. I did the starboard engine; cranked, turn on water, let it sit for around 5 min, shut off the water, shut off engine. I moved my hose to the port engine and it cranked right up, I turned on the water to it and went to wipe down my seats. After 7 to 8 minutes the engine cut off on it's own so I rushed to turn off the water. I had the water off within 10 to 20 sec after it cut off. When I looked at the tach the middle light was on. The high temp light. I let it set for a minute and tried cranking it again but it would not fire up and the light stayed on. The motor turned over like it should but it wouldn't hit. I assume it wouldn't crank because the temp was too high. At this point it was dark so I finished cleaning it, put the cover on and put it in the shop.

It hasn't given any issues whatsoever in the creek other than the starter/solenoid prob and gave no issues last weekend while flushing both engines. Could it be that I ran it too long on the hose? I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it was pushing as much water out of the side when the port engine was running. It's my fault for not knowing because I figured I'd get a jump on cleaning but should have been paying attention. I surely hope I haven't messed this thing up! I'm going to pull it out and try cranking it this afternoon when I get home. Hopefully everything will be fine. Does anyone have any ideas what to check or look at? Am I flushing it out incorrectly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Your flush procedure is correct! Engine on/water on/water off/engine off. It will take more than 20 seconds to get water into the exhaust unless you have MASSIVE hose pressure-which is sounds like you do not. Sounds to me like your low water pressure just put the engine into protect mode. Bet she'll fire up fine next time you try her.

My primary thought on the engine not cranking on the water is your safety lanyard....try pulling it off and putting it back on a few times and see if that helps.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow, quick reply! Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to getting home this afternoon and making sure it cranks up. I'm glad to hear 20 seconds shouldn't be long enough to mess up the engine! I thought maybe the lanyard could be the problem but I figured if the other engine cranked that wouldn't be the case. I'll definitely try your recommendation next time it gives an issue. Thanks again for the help!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your thought on the lanyard makes perfect sense, but In reality it contains 2 separate switches. Several have had an issue with only one engine, and it could be traced to the lanyard switch failing on only one side. It did for me too.

I bet Julian is right and it cranks right up. If not, the lanyard is the first suspect.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could also be cleanout hatch cutoff switches. With the lanyard I believe the engine would still crank, just wouldn;t fire.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It could also be cleanout hatch cutoff switches. With the lanyard I believe the engine would still crank, just wouldn;t fire.

--
Correct....no crank could be rear hatch, no fire would be lanyard....he described both situations in different instances.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't think I did a very good job explaining the first issue... I'm new at this, lol. The first issue I had was when I was out on the creek and would cut the engines off after riding or pulling someone; sometimes when I tried to crank it back up all it would do is click. The engine would not turn over. The second issue, and one that had me most worried, was when I was flushing the motors last night the port side cut off while I was flushing it. The engine would turn over but would not crank up. I'm going to see what happens with that tonight when I get home.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok, so I am happy to say that you guys were right! I came home and the port engine cranked right up and ran fine. Looks like it definitely was a low water pressure issue and the engine's overheating safety feature shut it down before I did any major damage to it.

It is still only "clicking" when I turn the key over the first couple times, which sounds like a truck does with a bad key switch, starter or relay. I looked at the lanyard and the rear hatch shut off switches and they seem to feel firm. I have added a video of it from this afternoon. After seeing that do you recommend me buying a new lanyard switch or rear hatch clean out switch or look somewhere else? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could be the relay. But I would check easy things first. Loose battery connections, starter connections, things like that. Sounded like your battery was strong but put it on a tender to eliminate that concerns. Try swapping switches to see if problem follows the swap. Also, if you haven't changed your spark plugs make that a high priority. And the scupper needs to be changed immediately if it has not already been done.
@Scottintexas has compiled a great list of potential issues with our boats. There really are not many.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I'll be ordering spark plugs and a stainless scupper tonight. I'll check the connections first then if they're good I'll swap switches to maybe wrangle this problem!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Keep us posted. We are here to help.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just wanted to let y'all know I took the boat out this weekend and it preformed fantastic! No issues with the cooling and both motors ran fine. I checked over all the connections I could find for the starting circuit and it seemed like everything was tight. I am still having an issue with it clicking sometimes before starting (it's actually happening on both engines now) but it still cranks up and doesn't leave me stranded. Being it's the end of the summer I might just try and take it somewhere to get it looked at. @buckbuck I did put a charger on it and the battery tested good. Do you have any other ideas or things to try before taking it somewhere? I was going to switch up the ignition switches and to see if that might be the cause but both engines are doing it now so that wont give me a definite answer.

The more I run this boat the more I love it. Wish I hadn't waited so long to jump on the Jet boat wagon!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a Bad ground wire connection at the engine or at the battery , usually it's at the engine also bend the battery cables if they are difficult to bend or crackle when bending you should replace them.

Cade Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll check that out.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would remove & clean all the connections at the battery. I would also check all connections on your battery switch on the rear wall of the battery compartment. Also, as mentioned check the starter motor connections for corrosion as they are very low in the engine bay. You may need a mirror or cell phone camera to get a good look at them.