• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the JB forum and a owner of a 2018 Yamaha 212X

Kevin Kidd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am new to the forum (hello all !) and a new owner of a 2018 Yamaha 212X.

I am not new to boating or boat ownership (historically a I/O guy) so this boat is first jet boat. I also own a Yamaha VX jet ski.

I got my new boat last week so I am still learning about it. I am very happy with it and love the ride and the features on the boat.

As I learn more about this boat, I would appreciate any guidance / recommendations about the boat , caring fo it, and even tuning the wave for waveboarder and surfers. Plus other general 212X lessons learned or things I should know about the boat.

Lastly, I have noticed a couple of things about the boat that I need to speak to my dealer about. For example is it very hard to turn right (left is fine) when the ballasts are full and running at wakeboard speed (~17 MPH). It required two hands to even try to get it turn it. However, when the bags are empty, turning right is not problem (effortless). Is this normal?

Thanks all !

Happy boating
Kevin Kidd

Knot Kidd'n Around
2018 Yamaha 212X

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats...!

Stoltz Bow Roller a must
Don’t forget to pull the plugs at retrieval and to start the motors for a short period to run some of the water out after your outing... (much like your wave runner is recommended)
There are plenty of insights to do your own maintenance and upgrades here...
You can also check out the many threads on steering enhancements as the cobra steering and extra tie-rod to the left pump from rudder May solve your difficult steering issues; not sure as we have yet to even fill our ballasts on our boat...
There will certainly be several ways this site will help you spend your hard earned cash...

Also post up your location in your member settings to update the map with others in your area!

Good luck!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @Kevin Kidd
That steering issue does not sound normal. I have driven a 2017 212x and don't recall that being an issue. Give us some more detail so we can get it resolved.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That turning thing is normal, you must counter steer in the straights while hauling *#$$. My wheel is banked around 1/2 turn running straight....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These boats do tend to turn a little easier to port than starboard, but not a huge difference. Your boat should drive like its on rails with the ballast empty. With it full, it will respond more sluggishly, and remember, turning requires thrust...the more thrust the harder the turn. One of the aftermarket fins helps with turning without thrust.