• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the Jet Boat Crowd - Need advice

Keowee Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Lots of questions here... sorry. We've never owned a jet boat, but after doing my homework, it appears Yamaha is the one. I guess the only concern I have after (too much) reading, is about the lower speed maneuverability. I'm used to driving my Ranger bass boat and Veranda Tritoon. Are there any safety concerns with a boat with no rudder? Second question... what is the most common big ticket engine repair on these things, and at how many hours should I expect it to raise its ugly head? Thank you in advance for any and all helpful input. I joined this forum in hopes to hear back from Yamaha owners. I think I'd want to own the 242 S, (I think that's the one with tower, right?) And would love to buy a 2016 or newer with under 140 hours. Am I on the right track?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I came from a pontoon to a Yamaha. The Yamaha is 1000000000x easier to manuever once you get it down. As long as you get a quality boat to begin with, and take care of it, these engines are pretty trouble free tbh. I would say you are on the track with the 2016 or newer

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First year owning a Yamaha here 🙋‍♂️, and I can say it’s way easier to maneuver a jet boat than a tritoon or I/O boat. I have cobra fins so I definitely recommend them or thrust vectors. You’re on the right track with getting at least a 24 footer, you’ll have plenty of room, also will recommend a tower as well, they have so many uses. Like Crob83 said, doing the general maintenance every year will keep these boats in great running shape.

Keowee Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
First year owning a Yamaha here 🙋‍♂️, and I can say it’s way easier to maneuver a jet boat than a tritoon or I/O boat. I have cobra fins so I definitely recommend them or thrust vectors. You’re on the right track with getting at least a 24 footer, you’ll have plenty of room, also will recommend a tower as well, they have so many uses. Like Crob83 said, doing the general maintenance every year will keep these boats in great running shape.
Thank you. That’s good to know.

Keowee Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Appreciate the input!

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mostly yearly maintenance, take good care of her, and she will last you a long time! Those Yamaha engines are solid... cruise speed around 30-32 MPH (around 6K rpms) and engines and wallet will thank you... take care of the upholstery every time you come back from a day on the water, flush the engines as well every time... get some Thrust Vectors for the low-speed steering... and yes, I have a 2016 so would recommend that year at least... and most of all: get a service manual, it will teach you a lot... stay on touch of this site and you will learn a lot as well... and follow Leo's channel on YouTube, guy teaches a few tricks... and above all: enjoy the boat!!!!