• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New TV

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are looking to buy the LG 65 inch OLED 4K HDR Smart TV and was wondering if anyone has one and what you all think about it.
Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thought about getting one myself. It's an excellent TV. It is at a good price? Which model?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Currently looking for a tv also......

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Guys love their TV's and size matters. Don't get anything less than a 65". Get one with lots of apps!

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just picked up a Sony X900f but I was looking at the OLED LG's. My buddy has one and it is sweet. The sony is almost as good but $800 less at the time I bought.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am will mostly likely buy the LG 65 inch OLED 4K HDR Smart TV OLED65EPUA. Even though it is more expensive then the C model I think it will be less expensive in the long run since it come with 4.2 speakers instead of the 2.2. We don't have a large room where we watch TV so I am thinking if the sound is good I will not need to buy a soundbar and at my age not sure it would make a big difference. By the way I will have it on a stand.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Disagree on size. Completely depends on room and how far you’ll be setting from it. My father has a 65 and it’s simply too big for the room. You almost get dizzy trying to watch sports.

If your looking at OLED your probably not cost conscious but Vizio P series is a very nice budget performer. If it’s not a roku operating system I’d plug one of those in regardless so for me the native smart operating system isn’t a big concern. Can’t go wrong with LG top line if your willing to drop the cash.

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be the unpopular voice here... we bought an lg tv a few years ago... cant remember what model. The entire time we had the thing we could not get the voice right. It was either too early or too slow for what was playing. And it was different with different channels. Looked on line and it was a major issue. This was 3 to 5 years ago or more so they may have fixed it. But at the same time we purchased a nice 700 plus dollar lg dishwasher... lasted less than two years and no one would fix it except lg and they wanted an astronomical price to come look at it. So now we have a Samsung tv and a whirlpool dishwasher. However, when looking for a TV I will admit the LG looked good in the store. But we will not be going down the lg road anymore!

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 65 OLED B8. I bought it in January. I love it. I was going to go with the C8 but the price was 1000 dollars cheaper.

I don’t know how much of a difference it will make for you, but now the Exchange for military has the C8 listed for 2099 and the E8 is at 2999. All current and former military are now eligible to shop at the exchange. Also Best Buy will match their price, but you will have to pay sales tax, where the exchange there are no sales taxes. But at Best Buy at least you can take it home today and don’t have to wait for shipping. PM me if you need a login on shopmyexchange.com to have Best Buy price match it.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Sony 65” oied and love the picture.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just remember, whatever you get will be outdated this time next year and will be the one you could buy for $1k less than the new one...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Disagree on size. Completely depends on room and how far you’ll be setting from it. My father has a 65 and it’s simply too big for the room. You almost get dizzy trying to watch sports.
Is it a 4K TV? This is the primary benefit of high resolution high frame rate TVs. You can sit closer to them and have that more cinematic feel without seeing pixels or sensing blurred motion. But you can't do this with lower resolution, slower refresh TVs!

If I was buying now, I'd be getting the biggest, 4k, fastest TV my budget could afford! My entertainment center only holds a 65"....so that is what I have now....the next time I buy....will have to sell the Amish furniture!!! LOL

As for sounds....I NEVER EVER use the built in speakers from a TV. You want full surround sound and an excellent sub woofer (mine in the Klipsch 12" powered sub). When I play a movie, the experience is similar to what you hear in a theater. And the older and deafer you get, the more you need this!!! LOL (we were watching Breaking Bad the other night, and in the scene, there is a tap at the window from behind...my wife and I bolted upright like "Who the F^%## is tapping on our window!!!!" LOVE IT!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a Samsung guy...have always gravitated toward that brand. I like their features/apps the best. Have never had a problem with any of them. I think my oldest is a non-smart that's about 10yrs. old. It's still going strong.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to thank everyone for their responses and I have tried to answer or respond to some of the posts

@PaulyB Thank you for the information about Best Buy. Although we live near the Delaware boarder we do not have a Best Buy close to us other then In Salisbury Md so I will purchase ours from the Exchange and save on taxes.

@AboveTheBest That seems to be the case on most electronics today, however at my age I no longer see the need to wait to get what I want.

@Ramblin Wreck Based on what I have read the size of newer tvs allow you to sit closer than the older models of the same size.

@Ramblin Wreck If your looking at OLED your probably not cost conscious. I would like to think I am cost conscious and I do try and fine the best price for the product I want.

Again my thanks to all who have posted I greatly appreciated the information

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian As for sounds....I NEVER EVER use the built in speakers from a TV. You want full surround sound and an excellent sub woofer (mine in the Klipsch 12" powered sub). When I play a movie, the experience is similar to what you hear in a theater. And the older and deafer you get, the more you need this!!! LOL (we were watching Breaking Bad the other night, and in the scene, there is a tap at the window from behind...my wife and I bolted upright like "Who the F^%## is tapping on our window!!!!" LOVE IT!

I saw your list after i just posted. I spoke with customer service about sound and adding a soundbar and also was on their web site. Both said because the E series comes with 4 rather than two they said I would probably not need a soundbar. I am hoping they are right

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@John McLaughlin

I think you misunderstood my meaning.

I’m not advocating you wait for something better to come out, just saying whatever you get now will be “old news” before long and there’s no need to get wrapped too much in the latest-and-greatest hype.

I started buying “last year’s” super TV for my last couple, and have been pretty happy with the results. Chances are whatever you buy will be a big improvement over what it’s replacing (unless you buy one a year or are really in-tune with new tech).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I saw your list after i just posted. I spoke with customer service about sound and adding a soundbar and also was on their web site. Both said because the E series comes with 4 rather than two they said I would probably not need a soundbar. I am hoping they are right
If you aren't looking for the cinema experience....internal speakers might be ok....might. But for movie watching, surround sound is a must. That big old sub creates a pressure wave of sound that means you can actually feel the movie.....love it! But I'm a move nut!!!

I'm looking at adding these if I can convince my wife!!!

1553022319563.png

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest
just saying whatever you get now will be “old news” before long and there’s no need to get wrapped too much in the latest-and-greatest hype.

I started buying “last year’s” super TV for my last couple, and have been pretty happy with the results. Chances are whatever you buy will be a big improvement over what it’s replacing (unless you buy one a year or are really in-tune with new tech).

Totally agree with you however I do try to purchase the best I can afford at the time. We tend to keep things to include TVs for along time our current TV is 12 years old ant the best of my knowledge the last TV manufactured in the US.[flag]

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian They look great. What size room would you put those in and yes I would probably also need my wife's permission.