• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New vs Used

ragadre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
New to forum and looking for some advice.

My local dealer has a new 2017 FSH190Sport $28,999+tax on sale and I found a use one in Miami 2016 FSH190 sport for $25,999 with 11 hours. is there a big difference in year and features? for the $3k savings is it worth it??
This will my first boat for me and my two kids and have a 2010 toyota tundra 2wd. do I need a 4wd to lauch or will my 2wd be ok??

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For $3k I'd probably buy new just so I would know the history of it. These boats are pretty bullet proof but if they didn't flush them after saltwater use or we're towed in above the speed it may have ingested water.

Normally a 2wd drive is fine unless your ramps are unusually steep or slick.

Is this your first boat?
Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips.

Be sure to update us with what you do (and definitely take a test ride on the boat you intend to buy, even new, to be sure it performs to your expectations).

ragadre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For $3k I'd probably buy new just so I would know the history of it. These boats are pretty bullet proof but if they didn't flush them after saltwater use or we're towed in above the speed it may have ingested water.

Normally a 2wd drive is fine unless your ramps are unusually steep or slick.

Is this your first boat?
Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips.

Be sure to update us with what you do (and definitely take a test ride on the boat you intend to buy, even new, to be sure it performs to your expectations).
I have been around boats all my life growing up in the Caribbean but this will be the first one I bought. I should check out the local ramps to get an idea.

I guess I need to figure how to get the dealer to test drive since most arent accessible and Yamaha doesnt have a demos in my area right now. I know there will be a big boat show in April so not sure if I can wait that longer. Got the Jitter bug lol.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New to forum and looking for some advice.

My local dealer has a new 2017 FSH190Sport $28,999+tax on sale
Also, be aware of the added fee's....like "delivery and setup" or whatever they call it. It could be over $1,000 depending on the dealer, which might not be included in the above sale price. It's in the fine print...

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If this is your first boat, buy new!

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, be aware of the added fee's....like "delivery and setup" or whatever they call it. It could be over $1,000 depending on the dealer, which might not be included in the above sale price. It's in the fine print...
Plus you need to check what extra's are on the used boat - if the used boat has extra's like a cover, GPS/FF, VHF, etc these are not in-expensive add-on's. If you include this with the possible delivery and set-up fees there could be a 5K+ difference instead of 3K. I would always lean toward used if you can confirm the condition and the service records. Just be sure to pay a mechanic to inspect the used boat.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

As far as advice, I tend to always buy cars and boats used. However, I don’t look at used items that are being sold anywhere near a price that’s comparable to new. If that was the case I’d keep looking for a better deal on a used one.

That being said, what’s the “out the door” price on both? For me, the OTD price is the real indicator of cost, not the asking price. Is the used boat private party? How much negotiations/haggling would either seller be willing to do? As mentioned above, what does the used one come with (cover, upgrades, condition, etc).

Anyway, I don’t have any idea about what might have changed on that model for either of those years. So I can’t help you there.

Again, good luck with your search.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Really need more details on the used unit. Any add on's , actual condition compared to new? With only 11 hours it's basically a new boat.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always struggle with the New vs Used thing myself.

Let's assume for a moment that, accounting for add-ons and such, you're coming out $5K to the good by buying used. So basically, if you go new, we're talking about a $5,000 insurance policy that lasts only as long as the warranty. That said, it may also be insurance against Previous Owner Abuse.

These 1-year-old low hour things always seem like a good deal (I bought an Expedition that was 1 year old and low miles) but the skeptic in me wonders why someone parted with their new baby so soon. I tend to buy things and hang on to them for decades (probably not the "norm" anymore) so I always question the quick turn-around on a big purchase like this. Was it a life-altering event that forced them to sell? Or was it more to do with discovering problems with the boat that they didn't want to have to deal with? Or did they just not like it for their own reasons?

Being the type that doesn't like uncertainty, I lean toward new. At least I know I'm covered for a little while.

In retrospect though, I KNOW that my inability to accept the uncertainty of "used" had cost me a lot of money over the years that could have been used somewhere else.

Boy - I'm not helping at ALL am I? Must be the cold medicine. :D

ragadre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
all great feedback and food for thought. I know the use one has the Ray Marine GPS Plotter and trust vectors already installed. I am very skeptical of 1 year boat with 10 miles. why would you trade it in but I guess maybe not the right boat. I went back to my dealer today and I made the mistake to get in the FSH210 and now I am rethinking my choice.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought new but only because you couldn't find a used one in my area. I normally never buy new. The question to ask the dealer is why they are selling. My guess is they didn't like the way the jet drove or they moved up to the 21. I certainly would not shy away from a boat with only 10 hours. I would ask the dealer if the warranty is transferable.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
all great feedback and food for thought. I know the use one has the Ray Marine GPS Plotter and trust vectors already installed. I am very skeptical of 1 year boat with 10 miles. why would you trade it in but I guess maybe not the right boat. I went back to my dealer today and I made the mistake to get in the FSH210 and now I am rethinking my choice.
So you went with option 3 ;)

Congrats on the new boat.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
have you checked the boats available on the classifieds ? you might actually end up with a 240 for the price of new 190. As matter of fact what is what happened with my boat. 35K 240 with 26.7 hours and over $5 of upgrades.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forget, are you consider a Bimini run ? if so please plan accordingly.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always buy used. Just know the history. If the history is unattainable, buy another. I bought a 2008 230 in 2012 with 26 hours on it, which was bought new in 2011, so basically a one year old. Guy had little kids and just realized he didn't have use for a boat like this at that stage in life. His loss was my gain. Be patient; there is one out there for you. Let someone else eat the depreciation.