• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Windshield Hold Down Latch

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The windshield hold down strap was getting a bit tired. We were also getting a bit tired of having to snap and unsnap the windshield every time we decided to open and close the walk through. One trip out, we thought that we could get away without securing the windshield and lets just say that was a mistake. Fortunately, the window didn't smash when the wind blew it shut. So I decided to go with a different system all together.

This one is:
This didn't come with any instruction or additional hardware. Their information page says that it uses #8 screws. So I used stainless screws that I already had, not exactly sure if they're #8 or not.
IMG_6275.PNG IMG_6256.JPG

When in place, the latch is opened by gently lifting up on the windshield while pulling out on the knurled knob of the "keeper". It then automatically re-locks once the window in lowered back into the latch.

IMG_6258.JPG

So I started by measuring. When I was done measuring, I measured at least two more times. I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to drill into the windshield frame where there would be a concern of breaking the glass. I decided to install the "strike" on the bottom trim of the windshield as shown below. I pulled back the rubber trim to make sure that the screws would have enough room. Both parts, the strike and the keeper do come with a double sided foam tape that will act as a bit of padding to help prevent any damage to paint and gel coat.

IMG_6260.JPG IMG_6261.JPG

Next I lined up the "Keeper" in a location that obviously would be in reach of the strike. This Keeper doesn't have much room for error, so I wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any binding once the latch was released and then re-inserted. It sounds easy, but I checked it several times before committing to the drill.

IMG_6272.JPG

Here's a picture of the latch while engaged.

IMG_6265.JPG

Just when I thought that I was done, I realized that the rubber bumpers that are vital to supporting the weight of the glass are now not long enough to reach the windshield frame.

IMG_6266.JPG

So I opted to add a rubber spacer to make up the difference. I WAS VERY CAREFUL WITH THE LENGTH OF THE LOWER BUMPER SCREW. This one looks like it does screw into the frame directly on top of the glass. So A SCREW TOO LONG HERE, WILL CRACK THE WINDSHIELD. I just measured the exposed length of the original screw and bumper, and matched the finished length with a longer screw when the spacer was in place. This required me to grind down a bit of a longer screw after the spacer was added.

IMG_6268.JPG IMG_6270.JPG

Here's a picture of the latch installed with the upper bumper in place with the added spacer and longer screw.

IMG_6271.JPG

I'm sure that I left something out. Feel free to ask questions or add any info if you've done this mod also.

UPDATE: see post #16 below for trailering with the cover on tips. How to protect your cover

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like it.

I may add this to my mods list......

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice idea. Does it interfere with the cover at all?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice idea. Does it interfere with the cover at all?
I tried to keep everything as low as possible to keep it out of the way of the cover. It think it will be ok. But I won't know for sure until my next trip. I'll keep you posted.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brilliant!

Query: if you moved the part on the window over to the edge, could you put another latch to latch it in the closed position as well? Of course, that would probably require even more spacer for when it is open...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brilliant!

Query: if you moved the part on the window over to the edge, could you put another latch to latch it in the closed position as well? Of course, that would probably require even more spacer for when it is open...
Good question, but I think it would be hard to find areas in the windshield area to mount the second latch without getting into the glass.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian , can you add this thread to your super fantastic list of mods

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like that. It is a great mod. Cam.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UPDATE:

After a season of towing with the cover on while at highway speeds (approximately 1000 mikes) I felt that it was necessary to protect the cover from the new windshield latch. It didn't pierce through the cover, but it was obvious that if left alone it might start to wear the cover in those areas. The cover does really tighten down on the windshield during towing.
image.jpg
I thought about having my upholstery shop stitch in some reinforcement patches, but he was way too busy for such a small job. So I did what every good jetboater.net member would do, right? I went for the pool noodle mod ;) I have already been using pool noodles on the top frame of the windshield to protect the cover, so it only made sense. I placed them on the latch, receiver & rubber bumper. They all seemed to hold well and provide the necessary padding in the areas of concern. @steined was on to this one way ahead of me ;)

Here are a few pics.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length