• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Wrap and Stereo Install

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a questions about power leads for my AMP. I have done tons of audio upgrades in cars but this is the first Boat. I am running two kicker amps that are located under the helm. Nothing crazy two small amps to power the 8 speakers no sub. added two to center of boat for a total of 8 speakers. I ran the 2AWG power back to under port side seats where the batteries are located. Yes i will fuse the + lead and negative will go direct to the battery.

My question do you wire positive direct to the battery or to the house power switch.

Does the factory radio have a remote power lead i can splice into for remote power?

I wet slip the boat and I am also adding battery charger so i can charge if needed while at the dock.

thanks

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wired mine after the house power switch AND the remote wire to the head unit. But if you trust the remote wire you could get away with going straight to the battery. My .02¢

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
that is the problem i dont trust the remote power switch :)

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Then go after the house power switch. You’re safest bet.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ii. Would wire the + to the house switch so its off with the switch. If you have a Polk radio there’s a. Blue wire for the remote feed that works fine under the helm.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
awesome thanks

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't ever wire an amps remote power lead directly to a battery, the blue wire is there to allow for a delay to ensure the head unit powers prior to the amp. If the amp power first and then stereo comes on you can and often will blow a speaker and hear a loud pop or crack as the radio powers onto a live amp. Is it guaranteed to; no, do people do it and have no issues; yes, but why risk it.

Also, the stock Clarion in your 2015 242 definitely has a remote wire.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes thanks that is how i wired it. The blue wire is energized only when the engine battery is on and head unit is powered.

I used the blue wire on back of head unit. Negative to house battery, positive to house battery switch.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It depends. If you have an aftermarket head unit your remote lead is probably fine.

Run them like you would in a car:

Positive directly to the battery, same with negative.

Then run the remote lead from the head unit to amp one, then run another 18 ga or whichever gauge you have from that same amp to the next one.

You'd be fine is my guess.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i am all good. all three amps as well as 8x speakers and 10" sub installed yesterday. got to late for me to tune so i will do that tomorrow and take final pics and post all here of final install.

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What did you go with for speakers and amp? I have 4 new JL M3 and trying to decide if i want to source 4 more of those or go with 8 of something else. Then I’m also trying to decide on how many amps to run, was thinking 2 instead of 3, a 4 and 6 channel.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i went with all kicker. Familiar with product from car audio days and price point was right. I am sure not as good as WetSounds or JL Audio but more than enough for me. To be honest the wife hates when it is super loud and I dont like to listen to other folks music so i am sure they dont want to hear mine...But if i turn it up they will hear it. :)

Total speaker count is eight plus a sub. Replaced the six factory speakers and added 2 more mid boat. Sub on port side
1x Kicker 42PXA3004 for mid boat and rear cabin speakers Kicker
1x Kicker 42PXA3004 for bow and swim deck speakers
1x Kicker 42PXA3001 for 10" Sub mid ship port side
All amps installed under help to PVC board.
4AWG power leads Fused from Battery to distribution block under helm. from there 8AWG fused to each AMP.
Remote lead from Blue wire coming from radio under helm.
Promariner 43021 Battery Charger 3 Bank (only have 2 batteries now but got 3 bank just in case.
NOCO GCP1 15 Amp 125V AC Port Plug Power Inlet

All in with speakers, amps, wires, fuses, battery terminals, PVC board, Stainless Screws, Battery charger and i am under $1800 all in tax shipping and misc stuff. All from Amazon.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What did you go with for speakers and amp? I have 4 new JL M3 and trying to decide if i want to source 4 more of those or go with 8 of something else. Then I’m also trying to decide on how many amps to run, was thinking 2 instead of 3, a 4 and 6 channel.
I would advise against using different brands of speakers in the same install. The timbre will be off, and just wont sound right. But if its just sheer volume or bass and your not worried about the true sound quality and tones then you'd be fine.

I went with Kicker, and they sound great, very loud, and good bass.

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I wouldn't split brands, that's why I was deciding to either get 4 more JLs or 8 of something altogether different.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
they are weatherproof and considering they are installed under the helm which doesn't get wet i am sure they will be fine (hoping). They are rated for ATV which i also own and every square inch of that thing sees more water than the inside of my boat....Again trying to be optimistic :)

i am in both fresh and salt.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are some pics of final install. I am very happy with how it all turned out and sounds. No it doesnt fill a stadium with sound but it is more than loud enough on the boat and if you are at the sand bar. Not looking to force my music on everyone at the bar just those hanging around my boat. Was in a parade a few weeks ago (wont discuss what it was for so i dont get banned) and had boats 50-100 yards away singing along to the music.

I also wired the bow and swim deck speakers to rear channel and rear seat and two new cockpit speakers to the front channel of stereo. this way when the wife and friends sit on the bow i can lower that channel so they can talk while i can turn up the front channel so i can hear music while under way. Win Win.

Also replaced the accessory lighter port on dash with dual USB charger with volt gauge. And added 3 bank battery charger. Only have 2 batteries right now but figured wouldnt hurt to have a spare port in case i add a third battery but dont think i will need to.

Attachments

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Critical Signs in CT did the wrap and Tint. They did a great job and did it very quickly for me. From order deposit to install was under a week. I highly recommend them if you are in the NY,NJ,CT area. was over 2 hour drive for me but well worth it. dropped boat off at 8:30 am and went to mystic CT 15 min away for breakfast and a walk around and the boat was ready by 2pm Wrap and Tint.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here are some pics of final install. I am very happy with how it all turned out and sounds. No it doesnt fill a stadium with sound but it is more than loud enough on the boat and if you are at the sand bar. Not looking to force my music on everyone at the bar just those hanging around my boat. Was in a parade a few weeks ago (wont discuss what it was for so i dont get banned) and had boats 50-100 yards away singing along to the music.

I also wired the bow and swim deck speakers to rear channel and rear seat and two new cockpit speakers to the front channel of stereo. this way when the wife and friends sit on the bow i can lower that channel so they can talk while i can turn up the front channel so i can hear music while under way. Win Win.

Also replaced the accessory lighter port on dash with dual USB charger with volt gauge. And added 3 bank battery charger. Only have 2 batteries right now but figured wouldnt hurt to have a spare port in case i add a third battery but dont think i will need to.
Nice install! How come you didn't just replace the existing USB with the dual USB charger/volt gauge and keep the accessory port? Curious, because I would like to do something like that but I need my accessory port for my tube inflators.

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks
i dont use accessory port as i wired my pump to the battery. I also assumed just in case i want to connect a media player to the USB that goes to the head unit.

To be honest i didnt use either port except to charge my iPad running Navtronics with accessory adapter. Factory USB port wouldn't charge my iPad.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Everything looks really sharp Dave!! Enjoy!!!