• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New yamaha <Looking at Buying 2009 Yamaha SX230>

Etw223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2009 yamaha sx230 High output. Was looking for feed back on it such as cost of maintenance and any problems that I might come across. I currently have a 19ft ebbtide and like it but when we saw this boat we fell in love. We like the fact it doesn't have a prop and we like the seating. The seller said it's a little tricky steering. Just looking for some info before we pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Easy to steer if you have any coordination. Just need to learn the concept "No Thrust? No control." There are many after market steering assist crutches available, should you feel the need but I recommend trying it out for a season as I suspect you won't need these items. Maintenance is basically change the oil and plugs once a year, whether it is needed or not. I kid you not, as others will chime in. These boats are basically maintenance free. You didn't mention the price. Should be in the very low 20s for a near perfect 2009 SX230. No more. Here is my first day out....

Etw223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That looks like a good day. And a great boat haha. He had it for sale for 23k trying to get him to 21k. We went and looked at it in winter storage and spent 2 hours talking on the boat like we were on the water on the water. Haha

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It will be a good reliable boat provided it has been maintained. Has it seen any salt water? Make sure you look over the impellers for any dings.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you add your location to your profile you might get people in the area to offer to help look it over....that model year is very reliable.

How many hours does it have?
Any after market add ons?
Any hull issues? (crawl under the stern and look laying flat on your back)
Do the clean out plugs under the swim deck hatch come out? If not 1) this is an indication of the prior owners care, 2) you may have a real fight to get them out, 3) they are relatively cheap to rebuild-do it.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We love ours.. untill the bi.ini trip this year we have had not one issue with it. The issue we had was mote from circumstances than from design.... and eventhen the engines held together and now have no ill effects when i thought for sure i was gonna have to replace one. Long story... its on this site somewhere.. but we love it. My only problem is seeing all the mods these talented guys do on theirs and it makes me want to try on mine!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The clean out plugs being difficult to remove MAY be an issue with care, or it could be ignorance of the prior owner. I bought mine used and it was near perfect, with only 26 hours on it, yet the plugs were stuck when it arrived at my house, delivered from NC to MD. It took awhile to get them out; the prior owner was a decent guy and when I called him he said he had no clue that he should remove them after every outing. He never did, in the 27 hours he used the boat from new. Yes they were a bitch to remove, but once out? I removed them each outing and have had no issues. If it makes you feel better, I bought mine used and sent check without even seeing the boat in person. I knew what I was getting, but I did buy it off a guy on the "other" forum prior to this forum arising. He had a decent history of posts so I knew what I was getting - he just didn't know to remove the plugs. But as suggested, you should really have someone local to you check it out with you, and get a read on the engine hours for you.Where are you located? Someone here might be able to help check it out. The price of 23K is in the wheelhouse, but 21 would be fair. The book on it is 22k. Do not give him 23K. Winter is setting in; not a good time to sell a boat.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2009/Yamaha/SX-230-HO_/10269306/values

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have owned a 2007 sx230HO for four years, maintenance costs have been spark plugs every other year, oil, oil filters every year. one tube of grease for the seals that looks as though it will out last me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2009 yamaha sx230 High output. Was looking for feed back on it such as cost of maintenance and any problems that I might come across. I currently have a 19ft ebbtide and like it but when we saw this boat we fell in love. We like the fact it doesn't have a prop and we like the seating. The seller said it's a little tricky steering. Just looking for some info before we pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!
Probably the best year for Yamaha made boats.

If the owner's at least half-reasonable and the basics check out it would be very unusual for this purchase to not result in lots and lots of happiness.

--

Etw223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It will be a good reliable boat provided it has been maintained. Has it seen any salt water? Make sure you look over the impellers for any dings.
If you add your location to your profile you might get people in the area to offer to help look it over....that model year is very reliable.

How many hours does it have?
Any after market add ons?
Any hull issues? (crawl under the stern and look laying flat on your back)
Do the clean out plugs under the swim deck hatch come out? If not 1) this is an indication of the prior owners care, 2) you may have a real fight to get them out, 3) they are relatively cheap to rebuild-do it.
The only after market add-on is the steering wheel. Hours are 300 on one and the other engine is brand new the guy said the mechanic messed up and screwed up the engine that's why it was replaced. The plugs came out pretty actually. He trailered and stored it besides when he took it out. And what I could see the impellers looked good. Thanks for the input

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uhhhhhh..... more info on the screwed up engine would be needed i think. And the specs on the new one. Where did it come from? Complete motor or just a block...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's quite well priced at 23k, especially if the interior is any better than "totally shot" IMO.

The boats are overall reliable, spacious, and easy to maintain. I had to replace a few things on my 07 when I bought it, latches and the like do not fare well with salt water exposure.

As others have saod, steering is tricky at times. It is more different than hard, it takes some practice and getting used to.

They're great boats overall, good on gas, easy to live with, and really do a lot. I wouldnt mone a bit more space, but that's an issue with all boats of this size.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put it this way- I bought a used 08 (Prior owner bought new in 2011 as a dealer left over) in 2013 for 23k; it was basically a 2 year old boat with 27 hours. It also had the balance of the 5 year warranty (thru 2016, by the way never had to use it). So 23 is too much. 21 would be fine. But I'd be worried about that rebuilt engine and if it is an SBT, it will fail very soon, take that to the bank. As I always say SBT=POS. Been saying it for years, based upon personal experience. Until you determine the failed engine issue, don't buy it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put it this way- I bought a used 08 (Prior owner bought new in 2011 as a dealer left over) in 2013 for 23k; it was basically a 2 year old boat with 27 hours. It also had the balance of the 5 year warranty (thru 2016, by the way never had to use it). So 23 is too much. 21 would be fine. But I'd be worried about that rebuilt engine and if it is an SBT, it will fail very soon, take that to the bank. As I always say SBT=POS. Been saying it for years, based upon personal experience. Until you determine the failed engine issue, don't buy it.

You got an insane deal. That's not where the market is at now. Your boat would be low 30s probably now.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Paid $21k for 07 AR230 in May '16 with less than 100 hrs. on both engines, 2k more for the galvanized trailer. She has been a great boat with low maintenance costs and high entertainment value. I do not include $1000's in mod money spent though after purchase as it is a choise not a necessity. And I list most of it below.:sorry:

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Paid $21k for 07 AR230 in May '16 with less than 100 hrs. on both engines, 2k more for the galvanized trailer. She has been a great boat with low maintenance costs and high entertainment value. I do not include 1000's in mod money spent though after purchase as a choise not a necessity.
That's a great price for a great boat!
We were bidding on a 2009 232 at 25k a couple of years ago, but unfortunately the deal fell through and we ended up buying from a dealer. We are happy but I am still bumming about losing that 2009 232!

--

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS I appreciate the kind words, and if you find me a buyer for my pristine 2008 SX230 with documented records to include non ethanol gas receipts for every single trip I took on this boat for the "low 30s" and that price is at a minimum 32500 (that's a good "low 30s" number). I will sell it tomorrow. I will give you a $1500 finder's fee. No way my boat is worth low 30's, that is simply not the market. (Note, my prior post said I bought it for 23k it was actually 23,900. Sorry about that typo)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS I appreciate the kind words, and if you find me a buyer for my pristine 2008 SX230 with documented records to include non ethanol gas receipts for every single trip I took on this boat for the "low 30s" and that price is at a minimum 32500 (that's a good "low 30s" number). I will sell it tomorrow. I will give you a $1500 finder's fee. No way my boat is worth low 30's, that is simply not the market. (Note, my prior post said I bought it for 23k it was actually 23,900. Sorry about that typo)
Dont get me wrong, I think itd be hard to FIND that buyer, as I suspect most would be more inclined to buy a 75 hour 240 vs a 26 hour 230 in the same price range, but I think the point stands that you got an awesome deal, likely not representative of the overall market. People act like these boats are easy to find, and they are not.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dont get me wrong, I think itd be hard to FIND that buyer, as I suspect most would be more inclined to buy a 75 hour 240 vs a 26 hour 230 in the same price range, but I think the point stands that you got an awesome deal, likely not representative of the overall market. People act like these boats are easy to find, and they are not.

It did take me 8 months to find this boat, back in 2012-2013. I knew it was a great price and that is why I fedexed a check to secure the purchase. The going price at the time was about 28-30K for something with about 100 hours. So again, if anyone is looking and wants to pay 32500 for my pristine 2008 SX230, you will make two members on this site very happy.