• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie gun ownership

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title suggests, what is a good hand gun to start with for a newbie gun owner.

Uses are home protection, target practice and concealed carry.

Where do you start? (Other than the obvious training/certification)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ruger LCP380 (though I'm sure you'll get many different opinions). Just a good, small, reliable, cheap, easy shooter. Great EDC. On sale all the time everywhere, snag one with a few boxes of ammo and head to the range.

Here, we have to go to the sheriffs office to get a pistol purchase permit for each pistol you want to buy. Once we get a CCW, that's no longer needed. YMMV.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a habit of buying them and stock piling them in the safe and never using them so don't go my route lol. Maybe I will take them to the range this weekend and fire some for the first time.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Home Protection = Larger Frame Handgun (Longer barrel/bigger frame is more stable and less recoil)
Concealed Carry = Smaller Grip Handgun (Grips are harder to conceal)

I personally like some kind of extra safety on a CCW, like a manual safety or a grip safety along with a trigger/drop safety. My wife and I both have Ruger LC9S for CCW because it has a manual safety. I also carry a Springfield XD9S and an XD9 Mod2 3" for CCW because it has grip safety. For home protection handgun-wise I have Walther PPQ 9mm and 45, but I would not CCW them because of the lack of a tertiary safety and a very (awesome) sensitive trigger.

Also think about how you want to CCW. Inside the waistband (requires bigger pants) or Outside the Waistband (my preference but requires a certain body type) or purse carry (my wife). In general I find the longer grip of a full frame is harder to conceal than a longer barrel. I use Alien Gear OWB holsters for my three daily CCW. I have one IWB rig that I never use... It just doesn't suit me. I am 6'4" and about 210 so OWB is easy to conceal even with a T-shirt.

I don't like the LCP. My dad and my cousin have them and they have a crazy long trigger pull (they have no safeties) and are terrible to shoot for range. To hit all three requirements, an XD Mod 2 is it. It is a double stack, has short and extended mags, close to full frame, and can CCW, Home defense and is fun to shoot at the range. Love my Springfields!

Highly recommend gunbuyer.com and ship to a local FFL. I purchased every firearm I own except two from them. Cheapest cost, no shipping, no CC and no tax. (But they may be from FL so you may get taxed.)

here ya go! https://www.gunbuyer.com/p-63115-springfield-xd-mod2-9mm-3-barrel-black-16rd-xdg9801hc.aspx

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @jawsf16 .. but something to remember, if you get a semi automatic weapon and you are not use to handling that type of weapon you need to practice practice practice!!!!..... a revolver style weapon is easier to handle under stress because if u pull the trigger and it doesnt fire... u just pull it again.. in high stress situations you loose most all of your fine motor skills... a misfeed in a semi auto requires practice to clear quickly and under stress... revolvers dont... but they are harder to conceal. No mater what you get remember the three golden rules... 1 - treat every gun like it is loaded... every gun... every time! 2 - don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot! 3 - dont point it at anything you are not ready to destroy.

I also have @robert843 illness... i have a gun safe full of guns that i really dont shoot very often... but there is always room for more..

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All good advice.

I would start with something small and easy to handle. Especially if you have women in your life that you will want to shoot as well.

The Ruger SR22 is a great semi auto pistol for training and practice. I wouldn't count on it for home defense but it is a great trainer that introduces folks to shooting without being intimidating and scary when it goes boom. My daughter mastered it at 11....Loved shooting it.

When you do get something full size, I love the springfields also. Great guns. The full size 9mm I have holds 20 rounds and the 40 holds 17. That's a LOT of bang.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @jawsf16. Being that you are just getting started I recommend the s&w m&p line as they are available with safteys that are firm but clicked off with a quick thumb motion as part of the draw. 9mm or .40 cal will be the calibers that you want. I personally like the m&p shield for CC. For quick access home protection I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 competition model.

I like 9mm because it is a cheap center fire round with decent mass and shot placement matters far more than caliber. I keep Hornady critical defense rounds loaded for protection but use the cheaper stuff at the range.

Everyone who will have access to the firearm needs to be trained and practice, practice, practice. I see lots of folks just burn ammo at the range without ever practicing draw from concealed or multi position shooting. Practicing draw is important too so find a range that allows that. Practice drawing, firing two in the chest and one in the head, with an elevated heart rate once you become accustomed to drawing and firing in general.

Lots of folks will offer lots of different advice. Like anything find what fits your needs after doing your research.

Have fun at the range!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Almost forgot one more key thing. Practice saying STOP or I will shot when you practice your draw. Now some situations may not allow for that but get in the habit in case you are forced to defend.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glock G 43 for carry

Any long frame 9mm for target and home defense. The longer the barrel the more accurate your gonna be. I'm a fan of Beretta personally.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd go shotgun for home defense. I have a 38sp +p LCR that rides in my pocket every day.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First I would find a local range that has rental guns or a gun store that has a range. Going to the range with a friend who has a collection is also a good option. Then shoot a variety of handguns.

Larger handguns of the same caliber will have less recoil and be easier to shoot accurately with. Smaller handguns are easier to carry. Revolvers allow for pulling the hammer back with your thumb then having a very light trigger release. Semi automatic handguns typically have a longer, heavier trigger pull combined with a larger ammo capacity.

Most shooters will have a tendency to anticipate the shot and depress the muzzle to counter the expected recoil as they pull the trigger. This results in the bullet hitting below the point of aim. This is particularly true with the long trigger pull models that most of us carry. The best way to overcome this is to practice dry firing your carry gun. To do so make sure the chamber and magazine are empty then rack the slide or pull back the hammer, aim then pull the trigger. The more you repeat this the less you will anticipate the shot.

As for which gun to carry my recommendations are different than others. For carry I recommend something from KAHR. The PM9 and CW9 are small, light weight, highly accurate 9mms that conceal easily in your pocket or in a IWB holster. KAHR's products are designed, tested, serviced and manufactured in the USA.

The Ruger LCP mentioned above is a well made inexpensive option. I personally have a dislike for them as they are little more than a copy of a Keltec product that was designed and is manufactured in Florida. That is an issue with the manufacturer not the product.

For home I would recommend a Springfield XD either in 45 or 9mm depending on how you feel about recoil. I have two XD45s that each have thousands of rounds through them without a single failure. They are well built, reliable, accurate enough, eat any ammo you can find and have a safety on the grip that ensure the gun is held securely before functioning. This safety avoids many negligent discharge scenarios and reduces the ability of children to fire it.

Most importantly, whatever you get practice and actually carrying the handgun are the keys to being able to effectively use it if needed.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others if you've not owned any guns before find a friend or go to a range that will rent them,

I would also suggest a 22 to begin with. This will not be your final gun but it's a great way to get accustomed to shooting and becoming familiar with firearms.

My 14yr old daughter and I can shoot 300-400 rounds in our Ruger Mark III with no fatigue or other noticeable issues in 2 hours.

I believe those mag after mag sessions builds up good muscle memory, is the foundation for building good safety habits and your shooting at 6 cents a round vs. 50 cents for a larger caliber.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a way to (best) hide/keep/store a loaded firearm in a car/truck? In states like MO, you can legally CC but can not take it anywhere.

--

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got a couple of these. Keeps gun under steering wheel for easy access. Love them so far. And they use any holster.

Gum Creek GCC-UVHHM-BLK Vehicle Handgun Mount Clip

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a way to (best) hide/keep/store a loaded firearm in a car/truck? In states like MO, you can legally CC but can not take it anywhere.

--
If you have a firearm in your vehicle when you get pulled over without a CCL then the Officer(s) will not know if they can trust you. If you are holding your drivers license and CCL out of the window when they approach then it is clear that you have passed a significant background check and have always been a good guy. So I suggest getting the CCL. I am related to the worlds best CCL Instructor who happens to be in Kansas City, MO if you need a recommendation.

For vehicle carry I would go with a large handgun similar to at home. I recommend storing it inside the most accessible compartment. Anything that is exposed gives me concern about theft.

If you are going to invest in the firearm and CCL then I suggest carrying as much as you practically can. You may never need it. I hope you never do but someday someone may thank you for carrying.

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a firearm in your vehicle when you get pulled over without a CCL then the Officer(s) will not know if they can trust you. If you are holding your drivers license and CCL out of the window when they approach then it is clear that you have passed a significant background check and have always been a good guy. So I suggest getting the CCL. I am related to the worlds best CCL Instructor who happens to be in Kansas City, MO if you need a recommendation.

For vehicle carry I would go with a large handgun similar to at home. I recommend storing it inside the most accessible compartment. Anything that is exposed gives me concern about theft.

If you are going to invest in the firearm and CCL then I suggest carrying as much as you practically can. You may never need it. I hope you do but someday someone may thank you for carrying.
or place both hands on the window seal of your door... or turn on the over head light in your car and place both hands on the wheel... as soon as the popo gets to the window say... i have a weapon.... and i have a ccl... my gun in (my holster, side, center glove box etc) and then wait for instruction.. I normally tell them.. ok.. dont reach for yours and i wont reach for mine... and carry on with the stop. When someone is that open about it, like @Bruce said it puts me more at ease that this is a law abiding citizen.... just dont get stupid!!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tons of good info here...

Regarding vehicle carry, in Texas we have Castle Law so even if you don't have a license, the vehicle is an extension of your home and you have a legal right to possess the weapon in your vehicle as long as it is concealed and you may legally own a firearm. However, Austin and Houston (who are very anti-gun) police officers have arrested and/or detained individuals complying with Castle Law. They beat the wrap, but still have to take the ride.

I mounted a kydex style holster in each of my vehicles. My truck has one that fits both my 3" and 4" XD Mod2 9mms, and my wife has one that fits her LC9s. She likes being able to place it in a secured mount inside of the center console when she arrives somewhere restrictive like the girls' schools. I can take pics if you guys want.

Regarding police encounters while carrying on person or in vehicle. I recommend to not use the term Weapon or Gun, a rookie LEO may get excited if he overhears it with low SA. Best to use the word firearm or the actual Manufacturer (I have a Springfield XD9 in my console officer) very calmly. Definitely agree with lights on, windows down, hands visible. The world has changed and these brave men & women are approaching a vehicle that may carry a soccer Mom or may carry an individual who wants to kill them. Nothing Routine about a Routine traffic stop these days.

Back to the original topic, a revolver is not a bad idea, but does limit capacity and not as concealable as a single stack. My brother has an LCR in 380 that he likes but it is very snappy with HD ammo. Definitely a fan of 9mm. Light recoil, cheapest practice ammo besides 22, and ballistics vs a 40 or 45 in self defense rounds are very very comparable. (Lets not start the caliber discussion/arguments fellas!) My 45s are more for range and/or HD. I don't have any firearms that don't have good HD ammo at the ready. Even my 22s have an HD load ready in case its the only thing handy!

One thing to consider for CCW is your state laws regarding printing, accidental display, or open carry. The first two were a much bigger deal here in Texas before Open Carry passed. As long as you are in a holster now, printing is a non issue. And always be in a holster! No waistband gangsta carry... Anyway the local laws may affect how/what you carry. For me it is always OWB, single stack in a T-shirt, double stack in anything more (polo/button up/jacket/etc).

If your wife is going to shoot also, you may end up with two CCWs. My wife has very small hands and we don't find the same gun comfortable, plus she is more sensitive to recoil so that's a factor. Definitely hold every possible choice at a gun store to see if it fits your hand, if able rent or borrow and shoot them before purchase too. I generally find a gun store window shopping session, multiple online reviews, and talking with friends is all I need to buy a gun online. Online guns are almost always cheaper than in person, but you have to do an FFL transfer. No big deal, but weird the first couple of times. Every firearm I own except my skeet shotgun was purchased online.

Speaking of shotguns, make sure your wife is comfortable with it for a HD weapon. My wife is not a fan, so we stick with Handgun as her primary HD plan with a backup of AR15/AK47. I like the HD shotgun though. Hard to miss, but same can be said for a full frame handgun with a laser/light combo. The 22s are for when we run out of everything, just prior to knife fighting! Don't even get me started on knives. This stuff gets expensive quick!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

If you are going to invest in the firearm and CCL then I suggest carrying as much as you practically can. You may never need it. I hope you never do but someday someone may thank you for carrying.
@Bruce you are completely right, of course, about not carrying without a CCL -- no even a question in my book.

The question is, with all proper licensing and training, WHERE do you keep the gun when you have to leave it behind in your car: work, church, school, mall, you name it ---all the places where you can not carry on premises, licensed or not. I work in a major teaching hospital, for instance.

If you happen to live and/or work in an urban environment, vehicular theft is a MAJOR concern. I have known many people who have lost their firearms in and around STL to theft. I would not want to be in their position, ever. Ever. That is something that gives me pause, every time I think about it.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 - I like some of your thoughts on HD firearms. I always thought a subsonic AR style SBR would be a perfect HD firearm for those trained in CQB. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting a SBR License. I don't like SG for inside HD. Sawed off has too wide a spread except for slugs and choked long barrel too big a swing. I also don't like super sonic rifles for inside HD as you don't know what the background will be when you have to squeeze the trigger. I do keep my AR-10 and 12g handy in case anything ever occurs outside on my property and of course my sidearm would go with me in that case. One indoor HD SG exception could be the Tarus Judge in .410. My MIL has one and I would not want to tick her off.

It may seem like some of us are gun nuts. I don't think that is the case. Personally I enjoy shooting and hunting as sport and I want to be able to protect what is most precious to me should the need arise but the last thing I want is for that need to arise. That seems like enough acronym abuse for one post.