• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie wonders... single engine vs twin?

MiamiTech

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi All,

I'm new to Jet Boats and about to pull the trigger on a new Yamaha, but can't decide which model to go with...

I live on the intracoastal in the north Miami area (recently moved in) and mostly new to boats. I've owned PWCs (Yamahas which were really well made) but always enjoyed other people's boats and never had my own. I'm looking to buy a Jet Boat very soon.

MY QUESTION...

Is there a major advantage going from a single engine platform like the Yamaha 190/195 series to a twin engine setup like the 210/212s?

Is the performance a lot different due to the twin engines? So I assume the acceleration is much faster? Does the boat itself handle a lot differently?

The difference in hull length is under 2 feet in total length, yet the price difference is pretty significant. Just wondering WHY so many would prefer the 210/212's over the 19 footers which are a lot cheaper?

I'm not into wake surfing at the moment but would like to keep the option open for the future. Would a twin engine 21-footer make for a much better wake surf boat than a singe engine 19-footer?

Sorry for the potentially dumb questions... just trying to understand the advantages the 210/212 series has over the 190/195s.

Appreciate any insights! :)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MiamiTech welcome to jetboat itch. I think the general recommendation I see most on this forum is that size matters ... even just 2’ for roominess and comfort for boating with other adults.

I don’t wake board, so can’t speak to what is possible on the 19-footer/single engine models. I’ve had two dual engine Yamahas, former SX-230 and current 242-LS and have benefited for having redundant engines a number of times. The maneuverability is enhanced by twins and of course the speed.

Good luck in your boat evaluation of fit for your requirements.

MiamiTech

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the feedback!

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We bumped up from the 19 to the 21, the interior feels like way more than only 2 extra feet! (Though the 19 is still awesomely roomy)

From a benefit of two engines standpoint, I do like having two engines just incase, but the other things I noticed is that it pushes through tight turns, especially when tubing or just having fun with much more gusto! That being said, we still loved the 19 and were never disappointed by the power in normal situations.

For surfing, we were able to force a decent wake out of the AR190 but it got a bit back heavy and struggled to keep up when when weighted way back for a big wake. We went bigger but also got a 212X because we wanted the integrated ballast and factory upgraded stereo and finishes

If you have any more specific questions post away! :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!

A few thoughts on why we went double vs single: a) you have a backup engine if one dies (you can also swap parts from one to the other--handy for diagnosis), b) better maneuverability (easy to 'spin' the boat with one forward and one aft), and c) twice the HP (but a larger boat, so offset there).

A few things we didn't think about when deciding: a) twice the gas, b) twice the maintenance cost, c) probably twice as loud, if things follow, d) better odds you suck up that thing you just ran over... like a rope.

That said, no regrets on getting my two engines.

MiamiTech

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks, Whisky and TD. Appreciate the insights.

Probably a dumb question... I notice on Yamaha's site there is no mention of a "212X" anymore... just a "212 Limited" and "212 Limited S"... I assume those replaced the 212X model?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Honestly, my present boat is the only twins I've owned. We loved our SX-192. It was our first jet boat that was quick enough, small enough to fit anywhere, cheap to maintain, didn't burn a ton of gas, quiet, easy to work on and do mods, easy to pull on a trailer (doesn't require big truck). Great 1st boat. Due to our needs, I jumped into a 22 footer with twins. Demands are higher but IMO worth it!

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Probably a dumb question... I notice on Yamaha's site there is no mention of a "212X" anymore... just a "212 Limited" and "212 Limited S"... I assume those replaced the 212X model?
No worries, they hide it! It’s still there though, the 212x is found under the wake series section instead of the 21ft section.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All,

I'm new to Jet Boats and about to pull the trigger on a new Yamaha, but can't decide which model to go with...

I live on the intracoastal in the north Miami area (recently moved in) and mostly new to boats. I've owned PWCs (Yamahas which were really well made) but always enjoyed other people's boats and never had my own. I'm looking to buy a Jet Boat very soon.

MY QUESTION...

Is there a major advantage going from a single engine platform like the Yamaha 190/195 series to a twin engine setup like the 210/212s?

Is the performance a lot different due to the twin engines? So I assume the acceleration is much faster? Does the boat itself handle a lot differently?

The difference in hull length is under 2 feet in total length, yet the price difference is pretty significant. Just wondering WHY so many would prefer the 210/212's over the 19 footers which are a lot cheaper?

I'm not into wake surfing at the moment but would like to keep the option open for the future. Would a twin engine 21-footer make for a much better wake surf boat than a singe engine 19-footer?

Sorry for the potentially dumb questions... just trying to understand the advantages the 210/212 series has over the 190/195s.

The two major considerations that would tilt anyone towards a 19ft Yamaha vs 21/24 would be the 19s generally fit in a garage and are super easy to trailer. They are still fairly large for the 19ft size, and incredibly versatile. Some people like to be able to garage and not need to upgrade a tow vehicle, which is nice.

Other than that, there are hardly any disadvantages of going bigger/twin, the AR240 is probably the best overall "value" boat in the Yamaha lineup.

--

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

The 212X is their "wake" edition boat, it's under the "wake" tab. If they discontinued it, I must have one of the last built. lol.

19 ft are nice boats, they almost measure 20ft actually. The 21 footers are very nice boats. I guess it's all what you want to do. Take out more people? Have more space? A second motor? A bit smoother ride? Then the 21 ft is for you. If you want easier to store, still a lot of room but a couple less people, then the 19 ft is what you want. You're not going to go wrong with either. In my opinion, I would go and sit in both and if possible, drive both and make your decision.

Oh, and...

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just went through this decision process, but my life is very different from yours. Mostly lake boating in cooler climates, Ohio / Kentucky / Tenn. Current tow vehicles are Jeep Wrangler or minivan (both 3500lb limited). I garage my boat year round, could fit a bigger boat but that would take up more space than I wanted. Kids are grown and live far away so we mostly tool around going from one redneck yacht club to another. So a single engine was a natural.

If I lived in Miami, I'm buying a larger twin engine boat for safety alone. Being stuck on a lake is much different that the Ocean. I would love to justify a 24 foot twin, a truck to pull, and a yeti 110 full of silver bullets. But I have a hard time until a move to a warmer climate.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought my 19ft as my first boat and didn't consider the 21ft. I wanted the simplicity of a single engine boat and the versatility to tow the thing anywhere. My boat is primarily a salt water boat or 2-5 hours to lakes. It was cheaper because I was able to find a used AR192 for $20k. And probably the biggest factor was that i'm a single guy and the most i'll have on the boat is 3+me.

I have no experience with Miami, but my friends and family are in Palm Beach. There's always talk about having 2 engines for fishing the gulf stream and going to the keys and bimini. If I lived there, I probably would buy a 2 engine outboard and enjoy everything Miami has to offer. I just never understood the center console love until I visited and saw many beautiful center consoles there.

Last edited:

Teledatageek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Resurrecting this thread... I woke up today wondering if we made the right choice putting a deposit on a 212S vs going with the 195S. I think considering building an outbuilding to house the 212S has got me thinking. A 195S would fit in the garage (and kick out my truck in the winter). I can of course just leave the 212S in the driveway during the nice months like my two neighbors do with their boats. Although winter storage costs somewhere not that bad I wouldn't think.

We went to the boat show last month specially to look at the SX195 (and have since grown to want a tower), but felt like the cabin was too "shallow". Our prior boat was a 2010 212S (I don't think there was a 19' Yamaha back then). Our use is Fingerlakes in New York and inland lakes in Michigan. I think often just my wife and I, but at peak times - we would have the max (8) onboard. We have rented a 24' pontoon for a week for the last several summers. Didn't necessarily need that big of a pontoon as I think the max we had onboard at anytime was 8 + maybe a dog and a tube.

195S is almost $17K cheaper less my $1K deposit loss unless the dealer plays ball. Not insignificant $ but likely not getting another boat for a long time (so no trading up later). Our vehicles (F150 and Explorer) can tow either boat with no problem - but of course the 195S would be lighter, easier, etc. I know the 212S is going to be faster but if we are following the rules - 45mph limits on the lake everywhere we go anyway...

I should add that most of the time that my wife and has the 212SS - it seemed to be just us or another couple on the boat. But of course those rare times of 7 or 8, I bet we would be glad to have the 212S vs the 195S.

Decisions!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It is highly recommended to buy your second boat first. I never thought that way till I joined this forum (several years ago). Wish I would have as I would have bought the 212. I now have a 22' and couldn't be happier. Without doing some hefty mods, the 195 is too small for 8 people and way under powered.

Remember, boats shrink when you put them in the water and when you spend lots of time on them. Funny how that works...

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would agree that it is probably worth sticking with the larger boat, I know we rode the upgrade rollercoaster and it wasn’t cheap! But I do love having the tower... maybe the dealer would let you upgrade to a 212x without eating your deposit if you wanted to?

actually, if they wouldn’t I would be questioning buying from them haha

Teledatageek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would agree that it is probably worth sticking with the larger boat, I know we rode the upgrade rollercoaster and it wasn’t cheap! But I do love having the tower... maybe the dealer would let you upgrade to a 212x without eating your deposit if you wanted to?

actually, if they wouldn’t I would be questioning buying from them haha
Yeah you guys are making sense, I think I'm off the ledge! 212S does have the tower - so good there!

Dave berry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi All,

MY QUESTION...

I've had single 19 ft Have 2018 twin 242 lors of room handles nice .mine is for sale Im in punta gorda fl listed in classifieds in forum

Dave berry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had single 19 ft Have 2018 twin 242 lors of room handles nice .mine is for sale Im in punta gorda fl listed in classifieds in forum
lots of room

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I know lots of people that wish they had purchased the bigger boat (myself included), but I don't know anyone that wishes they purchased a smaller boat.

It's much cheaper to buy bigger upfront than to trade up.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Correct me if I'm wrong but two engines are not going to get you more speed. Just look at the tests. Top speeds are nearly the same across Yamahas boat model lineup. You can't go any faster than the fastest engine. What you do gain is more thrust that help to push a heavier longer boat at those same 45-48MPH top speeds. You also gain some control advantages. But the second engine increases purchase price, adds weight and increased fuel and maintenance costs. The 195S can approach near 50MPH which seems plenty fast to me for a 19 foot boat. I was surprised by how large this boat was in person. The pictures don't do it justice. We went from a larger to a smaller boat since our family no longer requires the extra space.