• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie's to the site & jet boats

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My girlfriend Ana & I are proud owners of a 2017 Chaparral 243 VRX with 25 hours on it.
We will be in both salt and fresh water with it. We know the engines are closed loop cooled but the exhaust is water cooled. When the day is done in salt water is there anything special that needs to be done to "blow" the salt water out? Besides just starting & revving each engine a couple times? Also is that all that's needed in fresh water too??

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!

John & Ana

dyfanf

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can't answer the flush question, but congratulations and welcome to the forum! :winkingthumbsup"[flag]

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations on the new Chap! Perhaps @Dean P can offer insight on your question about salt water use.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My girlfriend Ana & I are proud owners of a 2017 Chaparral 243 VRX with 25 hours on it.
We will be in both salt and fresh water with it. We know the engines are closed loop cooled but the exhaust is water cooled. When the day is done in salt water is there anything special that needs to be done to "blow" the salt water out? Besides just starting & revving each engine a couple times? Also is that all that's needed in fresh water too??

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!

John & Ana
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum. Tons of great stuff here with lots of people to help. Please post pics as we all love pictures!!!

I only boat in salt water. Both engines must be flushed as soon as it's out of the water. Procedure is Start engine, turn on water supply, flush for 2 minutes, turn water off and turn engine off. Repeat for the other engine. After cleaning the rest of the boat, re-start each engine for 5 seconds. This pushes the reaming water out from the exhaust.

I may rev the engines a little during the main flush towards the end, but not always. Keep in mind the engines will get very hot when running out of water as there is nothing to cool the transfer plates underneath the boat. That's why the 2-minute flush. BRP has recommended the restart after flushing to expel remaining water in the exhaust system.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything. And share pics!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, be sure to understand how to run the engine out of the water so you don't burn up your seal

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the help! I thought the engines were cooled by the internal closed loop system and just the exhaust was cooled with the water you were in???

Looking at the engine compartment I don't see any connection to hook up a hose to??

Again thanks for all the help!!

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The connection is outside in the back of the boat by the jets. There is one per jet. Screw your hose into this pipe. Follow the directions I posted earlier to flush. If your in salt water, you need to do this every time.

1593956824400.png

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Dean- I see them now! Thanks for the advice!! I would have never have found them!! We bought the VRX as a brokerage boat, 17 hours from home! The dealership wasn't much help AT ALL!

Any other things to put on my post run
checklist???

Thanks Again!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Dean- I see them now! Thanks for the advice!! I would have never have found them!! We bought the VRX as a brokerage boat, 17 hours from home! The dealership wasn't much help AT ALL!

Any other things to put on my post run
checklist???

Thanks Again!!
If you don't mind take a picture, post a picture of your engines. I'm curious which supercharger you have. The newer models are maintenance free. The older ones must be rebuilt at 200 hours. I believe they switched in 2017.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks Dean, here's a picture of the superchargers.

Thanks for any input!
Those look identical to mine. You have the maintenance free super chargers. Nice find. Good luck, enjoy and stay safe...

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks Dean! Right now I think that's the only thing that maintenance free!!! Headed to the "local" dealership this week, hopefully for what is an easy fix!! "Welcome to the boating life!!"

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Your boat has very low hours. You're still working out the kinks. Hopefully you find them all now and get to enjoy.