• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEWBY to boating / Forum -2003 Sea Doo Bombadier 4 tec 4 stroke Jet boat-Engine hatch opening issue

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Hi everyone:

****NEW ISSUE THIS WEEKEND*****

This is the second time out that I had a problem when I accelerated on the water. When I accelerate sometimes when I am trying to pick up speed, it rev's but doesn't go. A few people on the water told me it is prob because of the weeds which get stuck because I can go thru the short cuts unlike the bigger boats. But I always am cautious about going close to them. After I take me boat out, I have pulled weeds under neath every time and while on the water. I Hope/Pray I don't already need an engine replaced.

Anyone else have issue like this????

I am a new boater for about a month and have been having a problem when I open the hull to turn the power on. When I pull the lever it does not open...I have to manually open it. Anybody else have a problem with this???

Thx!

Last edited:

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What boat model specifically? The hull is the outside (bottom) part of the boat. Probably you mean engine compartment/sun deck area?
On my Seadoo Utopia 185 there was a latch at the compartment that you pulled to release and then manually lift up.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most of the 2003 models had a remote "T" handle that you pulled which unlatched the engine compartment. I was not aware that you could get the 4Tech engine in that vintage SeaDoo boat. That must have been the very first year.

I see in the parts manual for 2003, the Sportster was the only one available in a 4tec.

My cable broke one time and I had to replace it. Let us know the model and where your engine hatch release is. Then a person just goes to the part fiche and order up the failed component.

The latch cover cable on the sportster is a $102 part
Latch Cover Cable

The other pieces of that assembly are available online.
https://seadoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/sea/500ce960f870021b3c6a7b49/engine-compartment

Good luck.

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
What boat model specifically? The hull is the outside (bottom) part of the boat. Probably you mean engine compartment/sun deck area?
On my Seadoo Utopia 185 there was a latch at the compartment that you pulled to release and then manually lift up.
That's exactly what I mean...thanks for clarifying . I am learning every day. That latch is located inside the compartment by the sterling wheel and I have to step away to open engine compartment. When I bought the boat from an individual, he told me typically when you pull up the lever the back springs up but he suspects the sensor shockers need replacing hence why I have to pull up on it manually. I also need to install a new radio and/or speakers to get a better sound system in there. I called around to have it installed and guy quoted approx $1000. I know I can get a decent sound w/new radio and better speakers but not sure which one...still investigating.

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
pic I found on the net of my exact boat -

Sea-Doo Sportster 4-TEC:

Attachments

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Most of the 2003 models had a remote "T" handle that you pulled which unlatched the engine compartment. I was not aware that you could get the 4Tech engine in that vintage SeaDoo boat. That must have been the very first year.

I see in the parts manual for 2003, the Sportster was the only one available in a 4tec.

My cable broke one time and I had to replace it. Let us know the model and where your engine hatch release is. Then a person just goes to the part fiche and order up the failed component.

The latch cover cable on the sportster is a $102 part
Latch Cover Cable

The other pieces of that assembly are available online.
https://seadoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/sea/500ce960f870021b3c6a7b49/engine-compartment

Good luck.
THANK YOU for the information !!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a quick tip on those remote releases. The spring hardly ever opens it. So if you do not have anyone to pull up on the hatch while you pull the "T" handle, pull up the handle and give it a quarter twist. This locks the cable. Go to the back, and lift up on the engine compartment. Then go back and give the "T" a quarter twist in the opposite direction to release the cable. Then it will lock when you slam the engine lid closed again.

Just remember which way you turned the "T" handle. I learned this trick as I boated alone many times. But I wanted to flush the air in the engine compartment before starting quicker than the blowers could. I also checked my oil that way.

Good luck!

PS: Report back and let us know if that fixed your problem. You may be surprised to find it is working just fine, just not popping up. Common problem.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I also need to install a new radio and/or speakers to get a better sound system in there. I called around to have it installed and guy quoted approx $1000. I know I can get a decent sound w/new radio and better speakers but not sure which one...still investigating.
Hopefully the $1000 wasn't just labor. I'm not all that handy but I replaced the radio in my 2001 Seadoo with a modern Bluetooth-capable radio. It's mostly a matter of figuring out how the bracket works and matching up the wiring properly. It shouldn't take more than an hour for somebody who knows what they're doing. (Naturally it took me longer than that.)

I was like you four years ago. Never boated before and my first boat was a 2001 Seadoo Utopia 185. Had a lot of fun with it and it was a great learning experience. In hindsight the way I purchased it was foolhardy. Didn't do a water test or compression test or anything like that. Luckily the seller was aboveboard and it worked out.

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Here is a quick tip on those remote releases. The spring hardly ever opens it. So if you do not have anyone to pull up on the hatch while you pull the "T" handle, pull up the handle and give it a quarter twist. This locks the cable. Go to the back, and lift up on the engine compartment. Then go back and give the "T" a quarter twist in the opposite direction to release the cable. Then it will lock when you slam the engine lid closed again.

Just remember which way you turned the "T" handle. I learned this trick as I boated alone many times. But I wanted to flush the air in the engine compartment before starting quicker than the blowers could. I also checked my oil that way.

Good luck!

PS: Report back and let us know if that fixed your problem. You may be surprised to find it is working just fine, just not popping up. Common problem.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO :)

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Hopefully the $1000 wasn't just labor. I'm not all that handy but I replaced the radio in my 2001 Seadoo with a modern Bluetooth-capable radio. It's mostly a matter of figuring out how the bracket works and matching up the wiring properly. It shouldn't take more than an hour for somebody who knows what they're doing. (Naturally it took me longer than that.)

I was like you four years ago. Never boated before and my first boat was a 2001 Seadoo Utopia 185. Had a lot of fun with it and it was a great learning experience. In hindsight the way I purchased it was foolhardy. Didn't do a water test or compression test or anything like that. Luckily the seller was aboveboard and it worked out.
OK, Thanks for info !!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hatch will spring open when the shocks are working to specification. They are not expensive and it's pretty cool to watch the hatch fly open street pulling the T handle. The shocks are good for 3-5 years, then they go weak.

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
The hatch will spring open when the shocks are working to specification. They are not expensive and it's pretty cool to watch the hatch fly open street pulling the T handle. The shocks are good for 3-5 years, then they go weak.
Thats what the owner told me originally . I think that's to see it pop up . Do you know the best place to buy !?? Local marine store , Amazon etc ??? I'm sure they are not hard to replace

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are very easy to replace. I have purchased the strong arm brand from Amazon, and I have taken it off and to the auto parts place. I did not have the original specs the first time, so I went to the auto parts store a second time for a stronger shock.

Mine were so rusted you could not read the part number.

How do your look?

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
They are very easy to replace. I have purchased the strong arm brand from Amazon, and I have taken it off and to the auto parts place. I did not have the original specs the first time, so I went to the auto parts store a second time for a stronger shock.

Mine were so rusted you could not read the part number.

How do your look?
Mine are not rusted...I think just warn out

Thx for replying :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If so, you may be able to pull the part number from the shock.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Before selling our SeaDoo, it was hit or miss if the shocks would lift it. But it's really a non issue, as you don't need them. The deck is easy to lift, and you can use the method above to lock the the latch cable while you go to the back to lift on the lid.

I know there was a write up on the SeaDoo Forum about these shocks being hard to find. So guys were looking for third party options. I can't imagine they would be difficult to find, but who knows. Just know there is a work around.

L Vereeke

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Before selling our SeaDoo, it was hit or miss if the shocks would lift it. But it's really a non issue, as you don't need them. The deck is easy to lift, and you can use the method above to lock the the latch cable while you go to the back to lift on the lid.

I know there was a write up on the SeaDoo Forum about these shocks being hard to find. So guys were looking for third party options. I can't imagine they would be difficult to find, but who knows. Just know there is a work around.
Thanks for info !!!

Rule 62

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would like to caution you about your statement of sucking “weeds” up in your pump . You can run into some serious problems if you jam ! The motor and pump turn as one and if the impeller stops but the motor keeps turning. Bad news .

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yup, too shallow, stay out of the weeds. Those weeds will never stall your engine, but they will cut off the water supply, which gives you no thrust or cooling water.

If you over rev with no movement, it's time to get your butt in the water and go pull weeds out of the grate.

Before someone starts blowing about the benefits of a Yamaha (which we won't do here as you don't own one) just understand there is a good way to move those weeds out too. Try to get the boat moving in reverse with whatever thrust you have, kill the engine while moving (in reverse) and shift into forward. What this does is moves the reverse bucket all the way open and forces water back down the pump to potentially push weeds out the way they came in.

This is the Jeff Walkowiak maneuver and it has kept me dry in our former SeaDoo numerous times. Good luck!