• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No carpet

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone running their boat with no carpet or seadek? Any pros/cons to do this?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
yea slip and break your bone, hard surface, big no in my opinion

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did for 2 summers. Snaps were a PITA for some folks, mostly my wife. Never any slipping if it got wet. And was always cool on the feet. We ran carpet the year before and hated it between the hotness and the cleaning. Running Seadek this year and love everything about it. But I could certainly live with the floor bare.

If you think you will install Seadek or some other type of matting in the future, an option is to remove the snaps and fill them now so you don't need to deal with them.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think you would still want something on the rear deck though as that could have the most slipping with kids/people jumping off the wet surface. I was thinking you were referring to the inside area though.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bare deck for me. No slipping. Nice and cool to the touch.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We take it out for all fishing trips and there isn't an issue. Just not as comfy on bare feet but no injuries yet.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did it until I got SeaDek because I got tired of cleaning the soggy carpet every time and it sucked. Those snaps are the devil!! Only positive was it made cleaning a breeze but I can't tell you how many times I stubbed or burned my toes with the damn snaps!! Or my favorite put your knee on a snap lol. The non-skid flooring can still get slick once soaked. Remove the snaps and fill the holes if you want to go bare. Get the SeaDek next month once the group buy kicks off and save big $$$.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Rode mine without carpet for about 60 hours before I put-in seadek.

No slippin issues. The snaps were annoying so I took them off before our long trip to the Exhumas (took 10 minutes to do that).

Only drawback that it was hard on my feet during our trip (40 engine hours).

Attachments

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I'll try it without the carpet a couple of times and see how it goes. The seadek option does sound nice!!!

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took the carpet out temporarily while potty training the new puppy on the boat. First trip out without it and the wife took a bad tumble coming in from swim deck. I'm now ordering SeaDek because it is far cheaper than an ER visit.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Personally I like the carpet. Still looks good after 11 years. If it goes bad I'll replace it with carpet again.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Rainmakr - I'm guessing that you boat in saltwater and deal with sand most of the time. In which case I personally highly recommend taking out the carpet. Depending on the color of SeaDek it can get rather hot, but the bare floor stays cool and is easily cleaned.

I will say if you boat for a long time I recommend having some boat sole flip-flops to keep the feet happy from having to stay on that hard floor.

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rainmakr - I'm guessing that you boat in saltwater and deal with sand most of the time. In which case I personally highly recommend taking out the carpet. Depending on the color of SeaDek it can get rather hot, but the bare floor stays cool and is easily cleaned.

I will say if you boat for a long time I recommend having some boat sole flip-flops to keep the feet happy from having to stay on that hard floor.
Thanks for the response. I havent taken the boat in any salt water yet. The carpet is same age as the boat (2012) and is starting to so its age/smell.
Ive taken the carpet out for now and will try it on a couple trips. If we end up not liking the bare floor, the seadek group buy should be happening soon. ;)

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If we end up not liking the bare floor,
Its not the bare floor you need to worry about - its those snaps that poke into your feet... I hate those little bastards!!
(seriously - they friggin hurt)

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rode carpet about 3 trips and got sick of pulling ,cleaning , drying then reinstalling.
Went bare and love the easy clean up and coolness . The snaps get everyone else but somehow never bother me.

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its not the bare floor you need to worry about - its those snaps that poke into your feet... I hate those little bastards!!
(seriously - they friggin hurt)
Taking the boat out tomorrow. Snaps have been removed :)

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your weather must be better than ours it's rained about 8 days in a row, no brake till Thursday .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The carpet has a significant noise reducing factor vs. no carpet. I noticed it big time today. Carpet was wet last week so we took it off to dry, put it back today. I perceived a huge difference in noise level.

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went out on the boat today. I had the carpet and snaps removed. Worked out Great! I'm planning on running the boat like this for awhile.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you go without carpet, careful not to burn your feet. My floor gets incredibly hot. . Blistering really. If you wear shoes, you may not notice but your pets and others without shoes (toddlers?) will.