• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Idle 9K Max RPM

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all, first time here and first time owner of a 2008 Yamaha SX230. Some background on me before we get to my issue. My wife and I used to race jet ski's back in the late '90's and I built my own engines but they were 2 stroke. I know my way around the Yamaha 2 stroke's so when I drove this new boat and it didn't idle, I thought no problem, just a little adjustment will fix this issue. Well long story short, I am lost! I purchased this boat a week ago and I have changed the plugs, oil and adjusted the throttle on the engine. I did a compression test and the problem engine has 145, 140, 145 and 145. The other engine has 195, 200, 200 and 200. This test was done on a cold engine when I was changing plugs. Problem engine also only goes to 9K rpm and the other hits over 10K. The guy I purchased the boat from said one engine is new do to a stuck fuel injector dumping fuel into the engine. He replased all 8 injectors, injector heads (?) and both ecm's. What am I looking at here? Where do I start? Thanks all

Scott

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swap ECMs to see if the problem follows to the good engine. I would be leery to actually trust if the guy replaced both ECMs unless there were receipts to prove it. Not quite sure what you mean by it doesn’t idle? There’s also a throttle screw that’s like a T25 in this thread:

There’s a picture of the screw I’m talking about in that thread that may be worth trying to turn. Not sure it’ll work but worth a shot. Surprised you aren’t getting any warning lights either if it isn’t running right!

Last edited:

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cant say 100% that he did change the ECM'S but he did give me two old one's in a box.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is the "new" engine the problem engine? Are you sure the "new" engine is a mr-1 ho? My mr-1's turned at 10,200+. The compression looks low as compared to the other one. Lack of rpm's is usually a spark plug, easily fixed. But obviously not in your case. Compare the engine data tags. Looking for 104.5 kw.

This one is on the engine hatch.
20170416_112543.jpg

Take it from the motor.
20170416_112432.jpg

An this decal on the air filter cover.
20170416_112013.jpg

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, the new engine is fine, it has 200psi of compression. Yes they are both MR-1 HO's. I am going to check later to make sure I got all the coils plugged back in and switch the ecm's to see if that makes a difference.

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I worked on the boat a little today and I got my RPM back but still no idle.. I had tried adjusting the throttle to make it idle and caused my own issue. I verified that all my ignition coils were plugged in. I did not however get to swap the ECM's to see if it was the issue. I also noticed some copper rtv on the suspect engine so I may have misspoke about which engine was newly rebuilt. Now I'm not sure which it was and the previous owner doesn't know nor does the paperwork say. My cold compression is140-145 psi on the engine that is having problems and 195-200 on the good running engine.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just trying to match up your low compression numbers with an engine. https://jetboaters.net/threads/mr-1-ho-compression.1720/
Mr-1 HO's are up around 11.9:1, which is ok, if not a bit high for your higher compression reading.
I still think one motor is not HO.

Last edited:

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, everything that I see on the motor says HO. I know that you can change the valve cover so how else can I find out? Oh and since I reset the throttle cable I am at 10k + in rpm's, pretty even with the other motor.

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, I got the YDS software and connected everything up and my throttle valve opening and my TPS voltage was different than the good running engine so I set them the same but it still won't idle. I set them the same at idle and at full throttle. Of course the engine wasn't running so I may have to tweak it when I get to the lake. Now I'm thinking out loud but could the butterflies not be set the same?

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh I forgot, everything else was all normal except Intake Pressure Sensor. This showed up on both engines but not sure what it is or how to fix it.

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, another update. I found some loose bolts on the throttle bodies to the intake. One bolt wasn't even threaded into the intake. Now that I fixed that, she idles but she idles around 12-1300. The other engine idles around 1800. With it set this way and both idle screws set exactly the same my TPS and Throttle Valve Opening are exactly the same on YDS without the engine running. Max throttle is also the same. Now to get the idle close to the same, I have to adjust the idle screw 4 full turns which then throws my TPS and Throttle Valve Opening way off from the other. How do I get the idle correct without throwing the TPS value off from the other? Does it matter?

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The manual has a very specific procedure for idle. Look it up.
Make sure evening is clean and not gunked up. All holes in the throttle bodies and hoses should be cleaned out with carb cleaner and tire and dried out.
Then, set the bypass screws to 2.5 turns out after they are turned in. Then, proceed to setting #2 throttle body to make sure it is closed. Then, tune the rest to match them closed. Only then tune in YDS

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I found the procedure. I do have a question about the process. In the directions it says to turn 1 turn, is that a 180* or 360* turn? I am assuming a 360* turn but I want to make sure. Thanks

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A turn is 360

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wanted to make sure. Thanks

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went through the whole fuel system including pulling the throttle bodies and properly setting them up. Number 4 throttle body was completely closed at idle which definitely made a difference on how well it idled. Anyway, after setting them up properly she purrs like a kitten but only up to 1400 rpm. If I set it to match the other engine then it wants to start hanging at higher rpm's. While doing this I noticed that my timing is fluctuating from 6* to 15* at idle. The good engine idles at 5* with no fluctuating. What controls the timing? ECM?

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
…I noticed that my timing is fluctuating from 6* to 15* at idle. The good engine idles at 5* with no fluctuating. What controls the timing? ECM?
How did you measure timing ?

rsjohnsn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, I swapped cam sensor with good motor and no change. I then swapped ecm with good motor and no change. I have verified that my timing should be at 5* btdc but it is hovering around 14-15* btdc. I'm afraid to ask this but for me to set the timing correctly, I have to go into the engine, correct? If so, can I do this without pulling the motor?