• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

No test drive for you!

Nucem140

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have one dealer within 500 miles of where I live so my choices are pretty limited. I have talked with the boat salesman on a few occasions and visited in person a couple times. The salesman knows I am serious about buying the 2015 242LS.
I have only been on one other yami and was allowed to drive it for a few minutes. So now that you all have a brief background, here is my complaint/concern/question.
The local dealer does not have a demo boat and they wont let me take their 2014 LS for a test drive, even though I am close to putting a deposit on the 2015 to secure it for me. BTW my dealer wont receive new boats until January/February and if the promotional APR of 1.99 or 2.99 become available then I will most likely buy the boat sight unseen. I know many of you bought your boat before seeing it, just looking for some comforting words I guess before I drop 60+k.

thanks guys!

Being in a similar situation I bought an older Yamaha without seeing it to get a feel for the boat before upgrading.

But I can't think of any reason that you would not absolutely love a 2015 242!

It will take some time to learn to use the dual throttles to help with steering but once you get it you will find your Yamaha to be extremely maneuverable with or without fins, rudder, keel, etc.

Why won't the dealer accompany you on a test ride...that seems strange. I have been on test rides and they always dock and take it out then let me take over.....even the fact I had one they did this. I see no harm in the test ride this way. They would be fully responsible for the boat in regards to the dock and such and would be there to give you pointers out in the open water.

I love my boat 100% and wouldn't have any other boat. There are too many different things that I like to do with my boat to justify anything else.

Well I can honestly say I bought my boat without ever even seeing a Yamaha in person let alone driving one Lol... I know crazy... But I did a crap load of research and have been wanting a Yamaha for about 3 years! Lot of the smaller dealers just don't have the volume to have demo models and I can understand not wanting to put one in the water because then it's "used" it all just depends on your comfort level. I never thought twice about it when I finally bought mine without even stepping foot in a Yamaha.

I miss Seinfeld!!!

Have you looked on our user map to see if there's another jetboater.net member near you? You might be able to "buy a test drive" for a six pack. ;) I've had similar dealer experiences around me too. If memory serves me correctly, my local dealer would take me out for a test drive if I put a deposit down. But if I backed out of the deal I'd have to pay for his employees time (probably a set $).

I have one dealer within 500 miles of where I live so my choices are pretty limited. I have talked with the boat salesman on a few occasions and visited in person a couple times. The salesman knows I am serious about buying the 2015 242LS.
I have only been on one other yami and was allowed to drive it for a few minutes. So now that you all have a brief background, here is my complaint/concern/question.
The local dealer does not have a demo boat and they wont let me take their 2014 LS for a test drive, even though I am close to putting a deposit on the 2015 to secure it for me. BTW my dealer wont receive new boats until January/February and if the promotional APR of 1.99 or 2.99 become available then I will most likely buy the boat sight unseen. I know many of you bought your boat before seeing it, just looking for some comforting words I guess before I drop 60+k.

thanks guys!

Thats ridiculous they wont let you test drive a boat. Is this your first boat?

I would make sure you at least drive one of the Yamaha's first. Also make sure you drive a similar sized sterndrive. Take your time doing this, its a big decision!

Well I can honestly say I bought my boat without ever even seeing a Yamaha in person let alone driving one Lol... I know crazy... But I did a crap load of research and have been wanting a Yamaha for about 3 years! Lot of the smaller dealers just don't have the volume to have demo models and I can understand not wanting to put one in the water because then it's "used" it all just depends on your comfort level. I never thought twice about it when I finally bought mine without even stepping foot in a Yamaha.

Me too.....but it wasn't for lack of trying. I first saw the boat in a magazine when they first came out. No one around here had one, let alone were demo-ing them. :cool:

If you're over in Portland,Or at all I'm on the water and currently have a 242 LTD S that can be test driven.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to take a vacation somewhere warm.

I too was a believer from the start... read reviews and forums... purchased a NEW boat without prior knowledge of handling or performance on the water...

I even blew off the water trial in the spring to get it home and on the water myself... Easy learning curve. Whole family loved the boat.

RESULT:... best decision EVER!!

Me too.....but it wasn't for lack of trying. I first saw the boat in a magazine when they first came out. No one around here had one, let alone were demo-ing them. :cool:
Me three! I first saw the Sx230 in white and tan on the cover of I believe was Trailer Boat magazine. I knew that was the boat for us. I never saw any around here at all for the first 2.5 years. We finally saw one at the boat show and immediately fell in love with it. It was the last high output that Phil Dill had and it was the end of July. We had to figure out how to get that bad boy in our driveway. Well, we did! Went for a test drive after they finally got it back to the dealership after the show and we bought it. I don't know about how it is now, but then it was you test drove the boat you think you wanted to buy. The same as when buying a new car. I could see the smaller "mom and pop" dealerships asking for a deposit before a test drive just to keep the riff raff away and offset some of the cost involved.

I purchased my 2013 AR240 without a test drive. When we did the test run the day I picked her up I knew I picked the right boat. Well...after I got the thrush vector XL's I knew I got the right boat. HA!!!

If you were in an older 242 ... It will just nicer .... And maybe quieter...
We bought our 242LS without demoing it.

I bought mine without ever seeing, but member @motorboater test drove it and did a full inspection.

I am the 3rd owner of my boat. Seller took me out for a half day test drive and even though I know jack about boats, I had the maneuvering with dual throttles down by the end of the trip. Like you, I've been researching these boats for years and just knew this was the one I wanted. I love the layout and look of these boats. They are super sexy!

I realized after purchasing the boat this spring that this may be a little too much boat for me, being a girl with zero mechanical background (other than reading manuals to my dad while he rebuilt cars for a hobby) and having a pissed off husband who is NOT mechanical! "Buy a boat she said. It'll be fun she said. We'll be on the lake every weekend she said..." He's still recovering from my purchase.

With all of that said, I'm lucky to have this forum and found me one of those "I got a guy" who is handy with water vehicles.

Buy it. You only live once. Stay on this forum and you will always have support.

I bought my 2013 AR240 without ever seeing it. I did a lot of research like others have mentioned. I read a lot at another jet boat site and got a lot of info on the boat. I didn't do a test drive on it. Since the boat was brand new and has a warranty, I wasn't worried about the boat having any problems. It did take some learning handle the boat and docking but you learn really quick. I've really enjoyed the boat and so has my family. I think you'll be very happy even if you don't get a chance to drive it first.

Thanks for all the comforting words. I have drove another yamaha and I liked it but it needed some throttle and maybe some adjustments to the nozzles. It turned to the left all day but a right hand turn was a struggle, I am assuming not all yamahas are this way otherwise I would think all of you would be talking about it all the time.

The dealer said they just dont have enough boats to allow potential buyers/joy riders to put hours on their new boats. I guess as the guy wanting to buy a new boat I can appreciate knowing it hasn't been in and out of the water by other people that may not take as much care as I know I would. I too have been lurking on yamaha forums for way too long (3+ years) and its time for me to finally just get the Yamaha. You all have made this a real easy decision.

Thanks!

I'm with @itsdgm. Look at the member map and locate a member with the type boat you're interested in. From a dealer standpoint if I didn't have a designated demonstrator boat I would not want to put hours on a NEW boat as then it's not new and would have to be sold as a demonstrator. You wouldn't expect a dealer to have a demonstrator for each model either. I do see your point @Nucem140. You're getting ready to make a big investment in a boat and want to make sure it's right for you but if a dealer took a new boat of each model out of "new boat inventory" to demonstrate it to prospective buyers he wouldn't be a dealer too long.

I bought mine without ever seeing it in person or test driving it. Of course, since it was @txav8r (Mel's) boat, I knew that it was a keeper ;)

Back