• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NOCO 2x2 charger reduced at Amazon

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this, just ordered one. Been waiting for this to go on sale for awhile. :)

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great tip - Thanks! We purchased an X2 Power (dual purpose: starting/deep cycle) AGM battery as a 2nd boat battery to support house loads like the stereo, accessory and lighting systems. I was told at the time of purchase that I had to buy a special charger as the AGM batteries can be damaged by charging at less than 7a. I'd like to get the charger TimW451 identified as a permanently installed system, but research isn't consistent, and the specs on this charger can't get anywhere near 7a.

Does anyone know what is the best practice is for maintaining one of these X2 Power batteries?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i find that article interesting. not too sure how accurate it is. saying agm batteries will be damaged if charged above 2amps is not right imo but what the hell do i know. i do know that when they are installed in whatever vehicle you have that the engine/alternator doesnt regulate the battery charge amperage low like that. if that battery is low it will charge it at whatever the alternator can put into it. since alonst everything with an engine originally comes with std lead acid batteries, if that article is correct then agm batteries would be useless and everyone that wanted to install an agm would have to revamp their entire charging system on their vehicle before making the switch. just doesnt make sense to me but would like to find out since i bought a pair or gp27 northstar tppl batteries to install in my boat this spring. my fzs has an svho and i have had an agm battery in that for quite a few years no problem. i think if the charger says its ok for agm then your good to go.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To get a good answer to the AGM battery charging question I’d start a new thread. There are a lot of AGM battery users and people with deep experience in electronics that can provide great information, but will miss the question in this thread.

That said, batteries come in many different technologies and the battery and charger need to be compatible, or one of them will break, or at worse cause damage to something else. This NOCO charger supports regular deep cycle batteries plus AGM, and I believe lithium. It is only 2 amps per bank, so it is meant to be a “float charger”, to keep a charged battery charged. (You can certainly charge a weaker battery, it just will take a looong time to charge up.) This is also intended for off-water use, while in storage. (That’s what I wanted it for.) HTH

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Clicked on link, current price $99.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recommend using the battery doctor and any single bank float charger. It isolates the aux bank automatically and charges the engine battery fully before charging the aux battery. No switches to forget about and no risk of running the stereo as much as you like. I always forget to set the switch on dual while underway and then back to aux to play the radio and now i don't have to.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@TimW451 ordered this morning arrived about 6:30 this evening.

Last edited:

Skin6061

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's back to $100.68 as of Jan 19th

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It’s been up and down in price in the last few days. Keep watching it!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The above advise is spot on. I use it frequently.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honey provides similar functionality, as well as a plugin to Chrome and the ability to apply discount codes. Just FYI.

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2 amps

VS

5 amps

what do most of you guys use? my boat is stored at a lot during the week so am thinking that I should go with the higher amp version for when I bring the boat back to my house for weekend use. (usually get it Friday morning for use later in the evening or Saturday)

will the 2 amps be able to replace the lost charge from sitting around all week in a day or should I just get a 5 amp or higher version?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A very rough rule of thumb is that the 2A will probably charge a pretty well-discharged battery in 24 hours. The 5A will be closer to overnight.

So, IMHO, if you are mainly looking for something to maintain (e.g. you run the boat when you are out enough to mostly keep up the charge, don't sit and float for hours, have a lesser stereo, etc.), then the 2A is probably enough. If you are going to be sitting a bunch, have 3 amps and a 2000W stereo, not running much, then want to use the charger to bring you back up overnight, probably 5A.

In my use case (more like the former), I lived with a 2A version for years (before I stepped up to the nice Minn Kota...).

Jmiller912

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length