• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

North carolina: New Bern to Beaufort run?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
has anyone here made the run from New Bern to Beaufort? It appears to be about 50 miles may e and theu the intercoastal primarily.

Any info on no wake zones, stops, fuel or food along the way?

I've boated the beaufort and harkers island area. A few fine docks/restaurants in beaufort. Just looking for a different way of getting there and back

Tagging @Marvin willis @PedalPirate

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I havent done that one but I have done the greenville to little washington run on a jet ski... i.plan on doing it on the boat soon..

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@bronze_10 how deep is the river? Whats it offer?

After the bimini trip settles out i'm going to try and rekindle the charleston trip thT happened in may. But i'm looking for another decent loop of sorts to do this summer

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been told by some friends who usually do the Charleston run with me that it will have to be done later this summer I will keep you posted on when we plan to do it again or let me know if you pick a date. I have been talking to someone who has done the run out to Ocracoke island and Hatteras that run has a strong appeal to me as well.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did it on a ski but a lot of boats do it... not sure how deep... at the greenville end it is kinda narrow but the further towards the coast u get the wider it gets... and it gets really pretty.... one day I want to do the Charleston run.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There os a lot of water going to Ocracoke... lol. I would assume you would leave from beafort.. we want to do some of those runs if we can afford it... but I have zero open water navigation experience..

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Indont know the ocracoke area. But that entire cape lookout area you need to pay attention to. Alot of shifting sand bars and shallows. But fun

May be a good run as the leaves turn colors?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Indont know the ocracoke area. But that entire cape lookout area you need to pay attention to. Alot of shifting sand bars and shallows. But fun

May be a good run as the leaves turn colors?
One of the new members on this forum lives up in that area and has made that run to Ocracoke and Hatteras before so trying to get as much info as I can. Going to talk to him on the Bimini trip about organizing a run out there. I have never made that run due to lack of knowledge of that area I know the waters in the sound can be very shallow in spots. If I made that run I would likely follow the path the Ferry uses coming out of Cedar island. I have taken the ferry across several times and it seems like a pretty protected path as I don't ever really recall catching rough water on that ride.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not really interested in going from New Bern to Beaufort, but would try to meet you in the Beaufort/Morehead area if my schedule allows. We will probably do a Morehead run within the next month to Shackleford Banks and Cape Lookout. Then another to Wilmington at some point.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a buddy that has a house at topsail. .. he boats in that area all the time... maybe I could talk him into coming as a guide through the wilmington area.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Guys, I am familiar with NC coast and have done jet ski run from Oak Island, NC up to Cape Lookout & outer banks. Is fairly easy run in good weather, only exception in windy conditions is around Morehead city and open sound to Ocracoke. Lots of shallow areas and constantly changing inlets, but not a big deal with GPS, nautical chart check or just follow ferry route. I ride almost every weekend, be glad to join you and show you around Oak Island, Southport, Bald Head Island, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Cape Fear river up to Wilmington.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JROD I want to do an outter banks run to Ocrakoke and Hatteras maybe in August sometime if you would be interested. I had thought about just following the ferry route unless you know a better way. Figured just a weekend trip leave Friday afternoon sometime return Sunday sometime. I know the ferry takes a few hours but we should be able to do the trip fairly quickly I would imagine. I have taken the ferry many times and never seen bad conditions even though I know they happen I'm assuming the islands and shallows keep this route fairly protected.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@JROD I want to do an outter banks run to Ocrakoke and Hatteras maybe in August sometime if you would be interested. I had thought about just following the ferry route unless you know a better way. Figured just a weekend trip leave Friday afternoon sometime return Sunday sometime. I know the ferry takes a few hours but we should be able to do the trip fairly quickly I would imagine. I have taken the ferry many times and never seen bad conditions even though I know they happen I'm assuming the islands and shallows keep this route fairly protected.
Robert, will love to do that run with you. Let's set some dates, perhaps, last week in August? As always depends on weather, but it is a good day of riding, specially if we carry a passenger, stop a for fuel, food, site seeing etc? For U is short run up to my location on ICW @Oak Island. I recommend starting out early in AM as possible to evade weekend big boat traffic which at times is a lot for almost entire run and snow bird boaters heading south.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 @JROD If ya get definite plans on that trip, let me know. Wouldn't mind doing a good weekend trip if y'all don't mind company.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I may join up with you guys if you come by the Swansboro, Emerald Isle, Morehead City area. Great sight seeing in some of those places. I won't be able to make the run to the Outer Banks, but maybe I'll still see you somewhere

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@bronze_10 how deep is the river? Whats it offer?

After the bimini trip settles out i'm going to try and rekindle the charleston trip thT happened in may. But i'm looking for another decent loop of sorts to do this summer
Another interesting trip is on the Cape Fear river, either Southport or Wilmington to Fayetteville and back or in reverse, aprox 150 miles. However opening of locks has to be schedule for weekdays only.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Weather permitting, I'm looking to do the New Bern to Beaufort run this Saturday with my family. My basic thoughts on an itinerary would be below.....

If anyone wants to make a JB gathering of this let me know and we can coordinate.

...meet in the water at New Bern Grand Marina (or somewhere like this) at 10 am
...depart by 1030 am
...cruise down Neuse and Adams Creek to Beaufort Docks (arrive at Beaufort Docks about 1200 or 1230 pm)
...gas up and have lunch
...at 130 or 200 head out to Shackleford Banks (Sand Dollar Island) to collect shells and play
...also head to Cape Lookout to swim and see the lighthouse
...gas up as needed back at Beaufort Docks at 500 pm
...leave for New Bern at 530 pm
...arrive New Bern Grand Marina about 700 or 730 pm
...depart for home

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would live to do this but its too quick for us to plan. We are in west virginia with the boat right now. We are putting her in the ohio tomorrow and wednesday before heading home on thursday or friday.. saturday will be a little too quick to get set back up to go. I would live to do this run and will likly do it this year but if u go sat we will sit this one out. I will be following the thread though and see how it goes!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would live to do this but its too quick for us to plan. We are in west virginia with the boat right now. We are putting her in the ohio tomorrow and wednesday before heading home on thursday or friday.. saturday will be a little too quick to get set back up to go. I would live to do this run and will likly do it this year but if u go sat we will sit this one out. I will be following the thread though and see how it goes!
I'll do the trip anytime you guys just let me know when you're ready and we'll do it again. We'll definitely log the trip with pictures and notes.